Movies discussion - 5/17/10

• Start date
  • Replies 204 Comments
  • Views 12,729 Views
Paraiso Travel If you don't mind watching a foreign language film, this is one of my favorites since 'City of God'...This is a story about one fairly naive guy who undergoes a series of adventures in a land where he can't speak the language and emerges with new knowledge. Plot: Love drives two young lovers from Medellin, Colombia to seek fortune in New York City, only to find a harsh reality that will put to test their true love for one another. The idea that New York contains entire cultures that co-exist without much contact is intriguing. Blitty gives it a 8.6-

Remember the Daze In the tradition of "Fast Times at Ridgemont High" and "Dazed and Confused" comes this seriocomic look at the final day of classes at a North Carolina high school in 1999. Although in the tradition of typical 'last day of high school lets all party' movies, I found this story refreshingly original. The scene where a couple students consume and react on psilocybin mushrooms, was one of the most realistic performances I have seen on film. Bitty gives it a 8.1-

Last edited:
Robin Hood Saw it tonight and I have to say this movie is epic. As in epic fail. This is REALLY bad. I knew this was supposed to be a new twist on an old story and sort of a prequel to the usual Robin Hood story, but it is horrendous. 2 Hours and 20 min of boredom. STAY AWAY.

Coming from the guy who called Platoon a better war movie than Apocalypse Now, that sounds like a glowing review.

I'm sorry but I won't let you off the hook for that one. :nono:

I saw Disney's Robin Hood last week. I recommend it. 5 stars.

I saw Boyz n The Hood on opening weekend at a theater in downtown St. Pete.

Not recommended :theshrink:

I saw Boyz n The Hood on opening weekend at a theater in downtown St. Pete.

Not recommended :theshrink:

Isnt that film like 15 years old?? I remember watching that with friends when i was 14yo...We all thought we were such cool wiggas :lmao:

RICKKKKYYYYYYYY!!!!!!!!!!!!

name_ricky.jpg

:theshrink::theshrink::theshrink::theshrink::theshrink::theshrink::theshrink:

I watched You Don't Know Jack and a bunch of 40's and 50's movies this week including Blue Dahlia and Rachel and the Stranger. I had been wanting to see Blue Dahlia for ages and it lived up to every expectation I had. It's an absolute classic film noir and a must see movie for classic movie aficionados with dark twists and clever turns. Rachel and the Stranger was a slower paced movie but decent nonetheless. It's probably not for everyone. It's a movie about a frontier family that buys a female indentured servant to replace the mother that died. It's a good insight into the role of women in the pioneer era and a decent storyline. You Don't Know Jack was a really good movie. Pacino played Kevorkian perfectly and it was interesting to see all of his legal struggles and the sacrifices he made for the cause he believed in. I thought it was a brilliant movie. Badnina might not approve.

I recently saw, You don't know Jack, as well. Great movie! I don't recall it being in theaters though.

Coming from the guy who called Platoon a better war movie than Apocalypse Now, that sounds like a glowing review.

I'm sorry but I won't let you off the hook for that one. :nono:

Oh come on. They are both in the IMDB top #250 and I just like one better than the other. You didn't like Platoon at all? Well I guess this will really blow your mind then. Saving Private Ryan is the best of them all. That just happened.

Saving Private Ryan is the best of them all. That just happened.

This I could agree with. But that's not to take anything away from 'Apocalypse.' What a trippy treat! :spinner::spinner::spinner:

I might have to side with Hoff on this one. I realize Apocalypse is more of a classic. But I would prefer to watch Platoon or Full Metal Jacket.

Oh come on. They are both in the IMDB top #250 and I just like one better than the other. You didn't like Platoon at all? Well I guess this will really blow your mind then. Saving Private Ryan is the best of them all. That just happened.

I liked Platoon quite a bit and own it on DVD. I liked Saving Private Ryan too, though I rate it below most acclaimed war movies.

Sorry for the knee-jerk reaction - you're allowed to like action-packed war movies better than "weird" pieces like Apocalypse Now.

matty if you want a movie in HD you need a blue ray right? regular dvd can't do HD?

Yah Juror. HD video comes in a variety of formats though - you can watch HD (1080p) shit through iTunes on top of the Blu-Ray and now defunct HD-DVD formats.

Mind you, all recent DVD/Blu-Ray players will upscale DVDs to sort of mimick HD-ness, with impressive results in some cases. The Apocalypse Now Redux DVD, for example, looks brilliant when upscaled on a HD set.

I saw Disney's Robin Hood last week. I recommend it. 5 stars.

RJ you avatar is RELLY f'ing with my head. It gets me every time. I see a picture of Reno and it takes me a few seconds for my mind to realize that it's not Reno. I think it's worse with the Reno avatar because I see him every day.

My brain couldn't wrap my head around Reno Cool going to the theater at all much less choosing to watch Robin Hood. I can't even comprehend Reno making a joke about Robin Hood being a bad movie. I'd put money on the fact that Reno doesn't even know that Robin Hood is a recently released movie.

Very brain hurty.