Movies discussion - 5/17/10

• Start date
  • Replies 204 Comments
  • Views 12,896 Views
That movie blew up my mind balls.

I watched You Don't Know Jack and a bunch of 40's and 50's movies this week including Blue Dahlia and Rachel and the Stranger. I had been wanting to see Blue Dahlia for ages and it lived up to every expectation I had. It's an absolute classic film noir and a must see movie for classic movie aficionados with dark twists and clever turns. Rachel and the Stranger was a slower paced movie but decent nonetheless. It's probably not for everyone. It's a movie about a frontier family that buys a female indentured servant to replace the mother that died. It's a good insight into the role of women in the pioneer era and a decent storyline. You Don't Know Jack was a really good movie. Pacino played Kevorkian perfectly and it was interesting to see all of his legal struggles and the sacrifices he made for the cause he believed in. I thought it was a brilliant movie. Badnina might not approve.

We watched You Don't Know Jack this past Sunday. Bread and I talk about death probably far more often than most healthy married couples. I am sure this has a lot to do with both of our lines of work. We went to lunch Saturday and our entire conversation revolved around assisted suicide and Kevorkian and the movie Sublime (a pretty messed up movie that takes you in a completely different direction than you would think). Excellent lunch conversation, of course. As I was looking through the On Demand stations, I found You Don't Know Jack and we watched it. I was pretty skeptical because I didn't see how Kevorkian could have been played by "Whoo-ahh" Pacino. But he did a great job.

Special interests hide behind religion. If assisted suicide were to become legalized in the case of terminal illness, pharmaceutical companies would lose. I find it extremely hard to justify allowing a person to rot in pain for months, or in a morphine induced coma until they finally expire. If we were to allow animals to suffer in such a manner, we would face criminal charges. I don't understand why no other physicians have taken up Kevorkian's cause. This is a much different world than it was in the 90's.

This is the first I've heard of You Don't Know Jack. I lived in Royal Oak when the whole Kevorkian thing was happening. It's embarrassing and depressing that he went to jail.

What do you guys do for work?

I also focus on immortality and my/our lack of it. I think more often than most. Mr. X, not so much.

*The mind balls comment was in reference to that other movie that I'm not going to be able to spell without the help of google.

I've been to Royal Oak before. I went to the University of Wisconsin and we stayed there when we went to see a Michigan/UW football game. Pretty cool area. We went to some club that used to be a theater. Ann Arbor was pretty unimpressive though. They think they know how to party, but they are weak sauce.

You Don't Know Jack is one of those films that is a success in my balls because I find myself thinking about it more a week later than I did right after its conclusion. Love those types of movies.

Without pushing my own beliefs...the movie was just excellent. Pacino was excellent. It wasn't all peaches and cream in its portrayal, either.

At times, Dr. Jack came off as crass and downright cold with patients when "the moment" arrived. It made me feel uneasy.

Just an excellent film, IMO. It makes you feel and it makes you think.

And yes, a damn sham that the man was locked up.

i miss him too

Kato, you live in Utah? I may be getting that all wrong. Is it at all on the way in between Vegas and Denver? We'll be driving back next week.

MonkeyFOcker we in Vegas again next week if you want to go out for a drink <-----a little scared that I'm writing that and think it's possibly a mistake and I will end up doing some troubles or in some troubles.

I've been to Royal Oak before. I went to the University of Wisconsin and we stayed there when we went to see a Michigan/UW football game. Pretty cool area. We went to some club that used to be a theater. Ann Arbor was pretty unimpressive though. They think they know how to party, but they are weak sauce.

It used to be the Tangerine Room. I don't know what it is now. I saw Ministry there back in the day.

Kato, you live in Utah? I may be getting that all wrong. Is it at all on the way in between Vegas and Denver? We'll be driving back next week.

MonkeyFOcker we in Vegas again next week if you want to go out for a drink <-----a little scared that I'm writing that and think it's possibly a mistake and I will end up doing some troubles or in some troubles.

Haha. Sure. Let me know. I'll be a good boy.

It used to be the Tangerine Room. I don't know what it is now. I saw Ministry there back in the day.

Yeah. That sounds right actually. That was about 7 years ago or so anyway...

Ministry? Nice.

Stay away from MonkeyF unless you want to get in troubles.

Can't wait to hang out with him in August :dance:

depends.. i'm in salt lake city, the quickest way to get to denver would be to take i-15 to us-50 at scipio, utah and that will connect you to i-70, if you want to burn extra time, come visit!

This is the first I've heard of You Don't Know Jack. I lived in Royal Oak when the whole Kevorkian thing was happening. It's embarrassing and depressing that he went to jail.

What do you guys do for work?

I also focus on immortality and my/our lack of it. I think more often than most. Mr. X, not so much.

*The mind balls comment was in reference to that other movie that I'm not going to be able to spell without the help of google.

I screwed up my quoting. I meant to quote you and Mr. X about Synecdoche, New York and then meant to do a separate quote for Kevorkian.

I didn't know you were from Michigan? I grew up in Oakland County. I think Kevorkian started in 1990 when I was a junior in high school. I remember he was constantly in the news.

The (lack of) immortality is unsettling. If you think too much about it, as some of us do, it can really becoming depressing. There is a line in the book The Notebook (not sure if it is in the movie), but it really struck me, "There are no monuments dedicated to me, and my name will soon be forgotten." Our individual lives are all so very insignificant when compared to the numbers of those who have entered and left this earth throughout time.

I enjoyed your breakdown there Robynballs. Humans truEly don't realize how insignificant they are. Take this recent update from a friend...

Having a baby with someone you love is the best feeling ever. To finally love and hold what the 2 of you created is truely amazing. I cry everytime I look at little Zachary and think how lucky I am to have him in my arms. Life is wonderful!

Unreal. All you two numbskulls have done is created just one more life that will struggle. That will ache. That will more than likely, die a slow, painful death.

CONGRATS! HURRAH! :dance:

You don't know what it's like until you're a father, Bread.

That's what I'm told anyway.

RJ you avatar is RELLY f'ing with my head. It gets me every time. I see a picture of Reno and it takes me a few seconds for my mind to realize that it's not Reno. I think it's worse with the Reno avatar because I see him every day.

My brain couldn't wrap my head around Reno Cool going to the theater at all much less choosing to watch Robin Hood. I can't even comprehend Reno making a joke about Robin Hood being a bad movie. I'd put money on the fact that Reno doesn't even know that Robin Hood is a recently released movie.

Very brain hurty.

you know what really fucks you up too? both our names start with R :yes:

The (lack of) immortality is unsettling. If you think too much about it, as some of us do, it can really becoming depressing. There is a line in the book The Notebook (not sure if it is in the movie), but it really struck me, "There are no monuments dedicated to me, and my name will soon be forgotten." Our individual lives are all so very insignificant when compared to the numbers of those who have entered and left this earth throughout time.

There was a time I used to say I was going to "leave my face marked on the earth" before I left, lol. But that desire quickly passed when I learned that anonymity is better than notoriety.