Movies discussion - 5/17/10

• Start date
  • Replies 204 Comments
  • Views 12,903 Views
I actually just put Synecdoche, New York in our queue about two minutes before reading this. I love "thinking" movies.

That movie blew up my mind balls.

MrX
Man I love that movie. Pretty brutal, though.

OK SPOILER ALERT!!!************ If you haven't seen Synecdoche, New York, and you enjoy your brain getting anally fucked once in awhile, you should see it. And don't read any further, as it will ruin the movie for you. This is mainly for Robyn and The X's.

First of all, many thanks to The X's for throwing out the iggy for this one. I needed a full night's sleep and day at work to allow it all to sink in. I absolutely loved it.

I knew we were probably in for a treat when I found out that Kaufman was directing. Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind is an all-time favorite, and Being John Malkovich is another goodie. My biggest fear while watching was that the movie would end and I wouldn't "get it." Then the movie ended, and everytime that I thought I "got it" I realized that I didn't at all.

Admittedly, I did not know the meaning of the word 'Synecdoche' so I looked it up.

a figure of speech in which a part is used for the whole or the whole for a part, the special for the general or the general for the special, as in ten sail for ten ships or a Croesus for a rich man.

Clever clever clever. Throw in the fact that the pronunciation of the word plays huge into the film as well, and wow.

My cerebellum was still clogging up, so I finally allowed Robyn to read me one viewer's take on imdb.com. I dug it. It was kinda the way I was leaning a bit anyway, but once they broke it down, pointing out several of the discreet, yet right-in-your-face hints throughout the movie I was sold.

The movie was part realistic memory, part subliminal fantasy and part WTF. By the way, I recently gave birth to twins - Robert, Daniel and Allen. Hadn't you heard?

Everytime something would seem like it was starting to make sense, the floor would drop out from beneath reality.

I'm a big fan of Philip Seymour Hoffman, and there was no better awkwardly-weird actor to cast for this. Be it Owning Mahoney, Love Liza or Doubt, nobody chooses their roles better, and takes you on a journey to all of the uncomfortable corners of life with more talent than Hoffman.

I suppose I enjoyed this movie so much because it truly hit close to home. My mind has been going crazy lately concerning topics of life, death, dreams, God, etc etc. What is? What is not? It is truly overwhelming and I strongly believe that we must distract ourselves with simpleton topics and Tim Allen movies for the majority of our time here to avoid going truly mad. My favorite quote from the film, "The end is becoming the beginning again," will be a keeper in my repertoire of despairing quips forever. Whatever that even means. Forever. :pipe:

The most amazing, intense scene for me was when he finally was able to visit his daughter Olive on her death bed, and she forced him to beg for her forgiveness for what he had done. She forced him to graphically demean himself in front of her in order to seek her forgiveness. And then, she said "No. I can't forgive you." Are you fucking kidding me? Wow. Holy Hamburger Hill that was insane!

For those movie people that enjoy trying to figure things out, what a treat. In particular, early on when Caden is reading the paper and sees that the first-ever black graduate of the University of Alabama had died, that is never brought up again. But if you are paying attention (and probably a bit lucky, I suppose) you will see that this storyline makes a return. I know there were plenty that I missed out on.

Dates and times run rampant, but ultimately come together for one of the best conclusions that I've ever seen. Loved it loved it. I think that I "got it" but I suppose when it comes to movies like this, "getting it" could mean two completely different things for any two parties. And that is the beauty of a movie like this. I can't wait to watch it again, but I want to wait a few months. Hopefully I haven't been recast as a supporting actor by then.

9.75 MattieRains!

synecdoche_new_york.jpg

Rent it then. You would like it Fischay.

sounds good guey. might actually do that tonight. i have some special extracurriculars planned, and this could fit in nicely.

Oh shit I couldn't even imagine guey!!! Your melon is going to LITERALLY EXPLODE!!!

Be careful!!!!

Thank The X's later!

WOW I DIDNT KNOW CHARLIE KAUFMAN DID THIS FILM. I LOVE CHARLIE KAUFMAN. GOING TO RENT THIS RIGHT NOW ACTUALLY. BACK IN A FEW GUEYS

Bread, I actually think this movie is one to purchase.

Loved this movie.

Thank you, The X's, for introducing us to that movie!

Guess I'll give it a try.

Great writeup, Bread.

I suppose I enjoyed this movie so much because it truly hit close to home. My mind has been going crazy lately concerning topics of life, death, dreams, God, etc etc. What is? What is not?

I wanted you to see this the moment I heard you were somewhat obsessed with mortality. I can't think of a better film to squish up the gray matter of someone prone to obsessing about life, decay, death, futility, etc.

I can't even think of a close 2nd, but I may be a little biased.

Loved it loved it. I think that I "got it" but I suppose when it comes to movies like this, "getting it" could mean two completely different things for any two parties. And that is the beauty of a movie like this. I can't wait to watch it again, but I want to wait a few months. Hopefully I haven't been recast as a supporting actor by then.

I strongly agree with this. Like most art, I think that it should and will be interpreted (or felt) differently by each viewer. My favorite critic described it as a Rorschach test, ultimately revealing more about the viewer's fears than the writer/director's. Some people do violently hate this movie, and I don't really blame them. It could be pretty brutal on anyone feeling betrayed by their own body and the limits of a lifetime.

I'm glad you liked it. You didn't mention Adaptation in your list of Kaufman films, did you not like it?

Haven't seen Adaptation. With Nick Cage? My favorite awesomely terrible actor? Is it good?

Haven't seen Adaptation. With Nick Cage? My favorite awesomely terrible actor? Is it good?

It's fantastic.

Robyn - Definitely a must-own. We gotta see all the things we missed out on, now that we have a bit of an idea of what was up.

I wanted you to see this the moment I heard you were somewhat obsessed with mortality. I can't think of a better film to squish up the gray matter of someone prone to obsessing about life, decay, death, futility, etc.

I can't even think of a close 2nd, but I may be a little biased.

X - It's a jungle out there. All we can do is hope to maintain. Many don't. I think it's great when something...ANYTHING...be it a brilliant movie or a chance encounter with a stranger...makes you take inventory of it all and freak out just a little bit inside. And then, in spite of that, you continue to maintain. I guess I'm (we're) just a little bit odd like that. But I wouldn't trade it for anything.

By the way, if you're looking for a terrible Nick Cage performance, you'll be disappointed. He's quite good in it.

Also by the way, after seeing Adaptation you'll be tempted to read "The Orchid Thief". Don't do it! Or at the very least don't have your wife read it to you on a cross country trip. I can't stress this point strongly enough.

Fear not. I don't read. I'm as dumb as a bag of hair eating a slice of Stupid Pie. I'm just convoluted is all.

I'm a big fan of Nick Cage shitty movies. Love them. I thought he was great in 'Leaving Las Vegas' (many think he was just as bad in that). But I will definitely check this one out per your persuasion.

OMG Mr X I feel like a 10th grader going out on a date with a 22-year old. You really got a hold on me.

:guitar:

Bread...

uh, nevermind.