More thoughts on jobs and working

• Start date
  • Replies 3,706 Comments
  • Views 297,788 Views
FB_IMG_1657844249479.jpg

I'm being asked to do two people's jobs, for half a person's salary, for starters. I didn't really mind that at first.

Now, the shop is extremely chaotic, and not being the most organized person myself, this brings out the worst in me. I tend to forget stuff and get easily distracted.

The job is not hard but we get bombarded left and right with requests, from walk-in customers, email and phone. We all drop the ball here and there because there's just too much to do. Customers are unforgiving when there's the slightest mishap, and mishaps happen constantly (backordered parts, wrong parts, delays). Maybe half of all transactions are painless. It's frustrating.

There's also the fact that I feel guilty to be working Saturdays and to be coming home around 7pm every weekday. It feels like every aspect of my life is being neglected. I'm the sole married guy at the shop - the owner and sales manager are divorcees, and all the other guys are single. I don't think it's a coincidence.

I told wifey I was about to quit yesterday and she responded by showing me the progress she had made on the new Zelda game. i.e. she doesn't think I should sweat a job that pays a few dollars above minimum wage.

I do. I'm disappointed with this outcome but I don't see a good resolution.

In related news, I may finally seek an Adult ADHD diagnosis.

There's also the fact that I feel guilty to be working Saturdays and to be coming home around 7pm every weekday. It feels like every aspect of my life is being neglected.
I would imagine this is the worst part of it all.

You only get to spend so many Saturdays with your son. You’ll blink a few times and your son will be 16 and wanting to spend time with his friends sometimes instead of constantly wanting to spend time with you.

Yeah, I get a knot in my stomach just thinking about time marching forward so quickly. Kiddo is turning 10 this year. I often come home to an empty house on Saturday evenings because wifey and kid have made (or improvised) plans. This sucks.

But it's really a combination of everything. I do a half-assed job at a low-end job that is very demanding time-wise.

I can go back to making as much money by only working part-time, but I truly hated the work I did then. Content and translation stuff.

I enjoy the work that I currently do poorly, for very little pay.

Can't win boys.

Heh, I ain't too concerned. Companies still want to be able to blame someone when shit goes wrong. If managers produce AI content themselves and it performs poorly, it's suddenly their ass on the line. Most of them would rather pay someone else to take responsibility for the output.

I still do translation contracts here and there. And I totally use ChatGPT to produce a rough draft. It doesn't save that much time in the end since I have to do a second pass.

What are you expecting out of the ADHD thing? Be put on pills to hopefully improve the day to day or..?

Or what? Resell Adderall in bulk? :lol:
Hey wait a second, there's a business model right there.

:littleboy:

Matty what industry are you in again? Are there no similarly not-hateable jobs that could be obtained in the same field?

@Vegas Dave I've been working as the "Parts Manager" of a motorcycle dealership for a bit over a year. Real glamorous stuff.

My brother suggests moving over to the car world, pay is better and I wouldn't need to work Saturdays.

I like motorsickles, but yeah at this point I think I need to give it a try. I've started applying at car dealerships nearby.