More thoughts on jobs and working

• Start date
  • Replies 3,706 Comments
  • Views 296,226 Views
There is a lot of grumpiness among the workers these days. It's our busiest time and the demands are great. It's physically tough and the hours are longer.

Beyond that a lot of guys are on PIPs. (Personal Improvement Plan, it might stand for?? Something like that??) PIPs happen when there is unsatisfactory performance in the area of accuracy or production. There are always a bunch of guys on PIPs. PIPs are a whole thing. I won't get into a full explanation of PIPs but suffice it to say, guys don't like being on PIPs.

Add that to the general mayhem and it leads to a lot of tension and discontent.

Fear and loathing in the aisles.

Also, in the 2.3 years I have worked there, I don't recall ever seeing a spider.

Today I saw one.

Then later I saw another one.

There is a lot of grumpiness among the workers these days. It's our busiest time and the demands are great. It's physically tough and the hours are longer.

Beyond that a lot of guys are on PIPs. (Personal Improvement Plan, it might stand for?? Something like that??) PIPs happen when there is unsatisfactory performance in the area of accuracy or production. There are always a bunch of guys on PIPs. PIPs are a whole thing. I won't get into a full explanation of PIPs but suffice it to say, guys don't like being on PIPs.

Add that to the general mayhem and it leads to a lot of tension and discontent.

Fear and loathing in the aisles.
sounds horrifying. You're in the importing/exporting business I thought?

Disgruntled coworkers, spider outbreak....

Chaos has ensued!

I am initiating a self PIP.

So much whining. Sometimes I feel like we should set up a special Kleenex station in the middle of the warehouse for all the crying that goes on.

Well, not everyone has the luxury of dedicated internet space to vent and (over)share.

True, true.

Guise be all like:

Goddamn this company that told me exactly what to expect right from the beginning, and hired me to a job that pays better than 98% of jobs for people with my skillset, and I'm free to leave at any time!! Someone needs to teach them a lesson for doing that!

:mudcat:

In retrospect: I guess what happened today was: the one girl came out to me as homosexual. We were gabbing and she made reference to her wife.

I had no reaction. Like zero. That was not a calculated thing of what I thought my reaction should be. It just honestly made no difference to me and I kept gabbing about what we were gabbing about.

I don't know if it was any kind of deal in her mind. I don't know if she wanted/expected a reaction - or she just said it like any guy would make a throw-away reference to his wife.

I don't know.

Homophobia really is incredibly stupid.

she wanted Muddy to reprimand her for her sinful ways, and call her a very bad girl, ..and most likely spank her

It brings back a memory. I have a cousin who is a lesbian. My side of the family didn't know until my parents' 40th anniversary party when she "came out."

I don't remember her exact words but, for the sake of argument, let's go with, "I'm a lesbian."

My mum said in a rather shrill way - and these were her exact words - "Well who cares?"

There was no doubt my mum's intention was to indicate she was completely okay with it and she still felt the same about her niece. It changed nothing. She was supportive. But her whole deportment seemed very shook up. It was like, "Who cares? It seems like you do. Maybe quite a bit."

But no, she just didn't know how to react so she tried a bit too hard. Everyone got that.

And we all lived happily ever after.

maybe she really didn't give a shit. I tend to think our older relatives give less of a shit about our business than we think they do

Your cousin tried to make someone's party about herself. Your mother's reply was bang on target. "We know" could have been another fitting reply.

maybe she really didn't give a shit. I tend to think our older relatives give less of a shit about our business than we think they do

She didn't give a shit. That was my ultimate point. She just tried too hard to express that.

Your cousin tried to make someone's party about herself. Your mother's reply was bang on target. "We know" could have been another fitting reply.

No, no, I have obviously failed to capture a lot of nuance and pre-existing understanding that the players all had of each other.

As far as my cousin making the party about herself, no, it was just one of a thousand little side-conversations, not a big look-at-me production. My mum really did care - in that she had an understanding of some of the challenges that being homosexual can present in this often idiotic world - and she wanted her niece to know that it changed nothing in her eyes. But she was glad to have been informed.

Everything was cool with everyone.