More thoughts on jobs and working

• Start date
  • Replies 3,706 Comments
  • Views 298,701 Views
Really enjoying the Millenial lifestyle of three jobs and no pension/benefits. Never been so professionally motivated.

:clapper:

I could use a raise though.

:sparesomecutter:

I don't understand how guys where I work stay so soft and chubby and slovenly.

I am in such great shape right now. Can't help it. It is hard physical work. All day.

But other guys doing the same thing just look like typical tubbo's you would see waddling down the street.

:dunno:

Industrial athlete. That's what I was called yesterday.

An industrial athlete.

I'm all like, fok yeah!

Just enjoying my 1-day weekend after a 60 hour work week (plus 12 hours commute time in there).

Work-life balance ---> it's not working out so well these days.

I started buying supplies from your employer - really impressed with the service so far.

My pickups are packed in your Indestructo mailers. :guitar:

SA6VIFsh.jpg

ooh, I like how it says Rainville. Especially how the R is giving the A the business

My current work is giving me a heightened understanding of my previous work.

i.e. - being an order picker is enhancing my innate feeling for betting odds.

What happens is I do cut-tops. What that means is, there are many things we sell as "eaches" which come in boxes of multiple units. For example small warehouse scales, which can be ordered as singles, come 2 to a box. Tape measures come 6 to a box. Calendars come 50 to a box. And everything in between.

If you pick the last of something, you have to do a cut-top. That means you open up the next box (in a specific, tidy way). Cut-tops are a pain-in-the-butt but they are a part of life and you know there will be many cut-tops in your day. So that's the deal with cut-tops.

So as I am approaching the location to pick a calendar, I know the odds are 50-1 against having to do a cut-top. Yada yada.

Point is, it is amazing how often longshots come through. I think of betting a 50-1 dog back in the day and it was the impossible dream. Ferget it. But now, seems like every damn day a 50-1 dog comes through. And no end of 20-1's and 10-1's. It's routine.

Buster Douglas defeating Mike Tyson was a huge upset? Pfft. Yesterday I had to do a cut-top on What Dogs Teach Us calendars.

So fuck you.

Calendars as in printed calendars? What design? Are they all different? About how many are shipped each day?

Who me?

They are printed calendars and there are 8 different ones. They sell for 19 bucks each or you can get a freebie with an order over a certain dollar amount. I assume most of the ones we ship are freebies.

I don't know how many we ship each day. I'll estimate. At this time of year, I average a calendar for every ~30 lines I pick. The "Toronto" branch ships about 8000 lines per day altogether so that would be 266.67 calendars per day.

So that would be like 24,000 for 4th quarter.

Plus all the other branches.

201800006908.jpg

201800006716.jpg

and 6 others

It has happened by the way. I have been informed that I am being transferred to the Freight Dept.

Don't know if anyone remembers that being discussed and me saying that it seemed inevitable - but they kept sending other guise - but we just keep growing and so they keep needing more and more guise - but maybe my Sunday-to-Thursday shift was why I kept being bypassed - which was good with me; I prefer being in Parcel.

But yap.