More thoughts on jobs and working

• Start date
  • Replies 3,713 Comments
  • Views 300,737 Views
Today is day 6 of 6 of my long trying week and then ---> OFF FOR A WEEK!!!!

:gomuddygo:

work is massively boring today. I don't have anything to do....don't even want to be here....for all this i'd rather be at home fucking and napping all day.

Tell ya what I am hoping. Before I left for PTO, my department (Parcel) was needing to transfer a bunch of pickers to Freight. I don't even know how many altogether. Maybe like 6.

Anyway they sent 2 a couple days before I left. I assumed I would be the first to go since I am the first guy that gets sent to help over there when things are going crazy, but no, they sent a couple longtime veterans. So good.

Point being, I like Parcel picking better than Freight so I'm hoping they'll send the rest of the reinforcements this week while I'm away. Maybe they'll just take care of business with me out of sight, out of mind.

Hopefully.

Yap, I got transferred. Reporting to the Freight department tomorrow morning.

oh my! How is new department? what are your new duties?

I am back to work myself. A little depressing....my mom is gone now and don't know when I will see her again. Barely got to spend any time with my mister. it's back to the daily grind and all the bullshit that comes with it. I shouldn't complain, I've been in worse situations.

I am spending tonight at my house...spend some time with the roomate. I'll probably get drunk and hate myself tomorrow when I wake with a hangover.

Peculiar story. I was NOT transferred to Freight. It was a miscommunication. I guess.

Here's what happened. First Sunday back at work after PTO, I ask dudeguy - who is a semi-manager - "So did I get transferred to freight?"

He sez yeah.

Later I ask if I should report to Freight the next day which is Monday - he says definitely. So that's what I was going by when I posted here.

So I reported to freight and start working and, like an hour later, there's my bigger boss telling me I haven't been transferred and head back to parcel.

So apparently when I said, "Did I get transferred to freight?" - half-boss thought I was saying, "I heard I got transferred to Freight."

To me that doesn't justify everything that followed - you'd think he would just say, "Really? I hadn't heard that," or, "You've only been here 3 minutes after being away for a week - where did you hear that?"

But he just said yeah. And ran with it.

They have surprised me by transferring two other guys since then. But not me.

Everyone is expecting a number of guys to have to shift over there in the next week or so. Based on a bunch of things happening I could see another 4 guys going. Maybe even 5 or 6.

Maybe that will include me.

I don't know. I still hope not. But I still feel like I am a hugely natural choice to go.

:dunno:

Why do you not want to work freight?

lol..half-boss being a tool. that's ok though, it doesn't fall on you...you were simply following orders, not your fault dude had his head up his ass.

Why do you not want to work freight?

Some guise like freight better than parcel but it is not as as enjoyable to my particular style of brain. Parcel is more about strategy and creatively building your skid. You are constantly on the go. Zip, zip, zip.

Freight is more about going one place and stacking large quantities of big stuff, then go to the next, etc.

It's hard to explain. I like solving puzzles and Parcel batches are like little puzzles to me. Freight is just kinda brute force.

Cami your mama was in America?
Yes, they were in the states for a month, spent a week here with me.
I miss her already. I miss weekly dinners and being able to call her up anytime.
It was a fairly good visit. Now she is in york digging through some things they still have stored at her sisters house and having a ceremonial for my cousin and grandparents that recently passed. then it's off to visit my brother then they finally get to go home.
I think next time she plans on just renting out a house and making everyone come see them instead of having to travel all over.

Some guise like freight better than parcel but it is not as as enjoyable to my particular style of brain. Parcel is more about strategy and creatively building your skid. You are constantly on the go. Zip, zip, zip.

Freight is more about going one place and stacking large quantities of big stuff, then go to the next, etc.

It's hard to explain. I like solving puzzles and Parcel batches are like little puzzles to me. Freight is just kinda brute force.

that makes sense. I think I would rather like that then freight myself bases off of your description.

working this hung over sucks so much. whyyyy
I need a cheese steak sammich and like 4 more hours of sleep.
fml.
:inyourface:

They're working me though, I tell you wut. Working the hell out of me with the extra days and long hours of hard slogging.

It's a lot like slavery. Except I get paid good money and can quit any time. But other than that, exactly like slavery.