More thoughts on jobs and working

• Start date
  • Replies 3,706 Comments
  • Views 298,381 Views
I did not get transferred to freight. And it will not be happening in the immediate future. Like, not in 4th quarter anyway. Maybe later.

But nope.

They hired a new Distribution Manager. He introduced himself yesterday and made a big speech.

It was bizarre. Basically every sentence, he throws in a, as far as things.

Sometimes it's, as far as that. But usually, as far as things.

Sometimes it makes some sense in context but sometimes it is just a nervous hiccup that has nothing to do with anything. I had a very hard time keeping a straight face while he was gabbing.

"The #1 priority for me is safety as far as things. I want everyone to go home at the end of the day in as good a shape or better than they arrived in the morning as far as that. That's not just Colin's responsibility and it's not just mine, it is everyone's responsibility as far as things."

Apparently our new Distribution Manager is a babbling idiot.

Irony is a word that is often misunderstood and misused.

Today at work was Safety Awareness Day. They had a barbecue. They had some games.

One of my co-workers injured his back participating in one of the Safety Awareness Day games.

That is proper irony.

:handshake:

Its not like ten thousand spoons, when all you need is a knife?

I just took my laundry down to the laundry room but all 3 washers were in use.

Alanis Morrissette might think that was irony but that's not irony.

Here's what I find curious.

I have a little group of guys I sit with at lunch every day. Younger guys of various ethnic origins.

They think it's hilarious when I swear.

For example I usually have the New York Times crossword puzzle in front of me. It is a deviously clever crossword puzzle and, in response to a very cryptic clue I might suddenly blurt out, "The fuck is that supposed to mean?"

That just cracks the young guys the fuck up. Reason being, apparently I don't swear. So when I blurt out something like that, it is such an unexpected upset of expectations ---> hilarious.

I feel like I swear perhaps a bit less than the average shmo, but still, quite a bit. Enough.

Maybe not? :clueless:

But that's what happens. When I look at all the evidence - not just the swearing bit but there are other things - I can only conclude that I am seen as a kindly old gentleman.

How the fuck did that happen?

:dunno:

Profit sharing bonus day. $4418 into the ole bank account. More into the ole RRSP.

It's noice.

Wife and i are known as prolific swearers. Work, family dinner, in front of kids, doesn't fuckin matter.

Gots the day off work today. As I tend to work all the stat holidays for the double-time-and-a-half, it's a rare 3-day weekend for Mudcat.

Making some magic happen over here. You know, theoretically.

My new life as a full-time freight picker begins today. weeeeeeeeeeee

Still pending though: I put in an application for a Customer Service Rep position in December - so we'll see what happens with that.

My job is questionable right now... law firm said they wanted to hire me back in june, still no offer, now less work for me... if I was hired in I wouldn't care (salary) but as it is now if I don't bill hours I don't get paid. If they're not gonna feed me hours (b/c presumably they're not busy) it might be time for me to move on down the road...

My job is questionable right now... law firm said they wanted to hire me back in june, still no offer, now less work for me... if I was hired in I wouldn't care (salary) but as it is now if I don't bill hours I don't get paid. If they're not gonna feed me hours (b/c presumably they're not busy) it might be time for me to move on down the road...

Is it difficult/crazy to try to setup your own firm?

Not difficult or crazy at all to set it up. Decently difficult to make great money doing it. Probably not for me. I'd start a business, but not a law firm. I like to work for people with less worry about the day to day which gives me time to 1) focus on managing my household and 2) focus on side opportunities.

Who knows maybe someday I'll hang out a single.