HUGH earthquake strikes japan

• Start date
  • Replies 110 Comments
  • Views 9,137 Views
Jeezus Pavy. That sucks.

Well I guess I can scratch Japan off my list as the very one single place I wanted to see in person before I died. Fok man.

Sad sad catastrophe. I really feel for them.

Just spent last 20 mins watching videos. Jeeeezus man this makes me sad. I have an affinity for Japan.

Why are we all here again? Someone remind me? To wait around for pain and anguish that we A) didn't ask for and B) don't deserve???

OK then super duper. So glad my number was called. Lessgo.

:theshrink:

I guess we better stop using nuclear power and switch to banana peels ASAP

back_to_the_future_mr_fusion_1.jpg

The hardest hit reactor is now a Level 5. Chernobyl was Level 7. Three Mile Island was Level 4

This is not good for Japan. And it's not good for the US either.

Tokyo (CNN) -- Japan's nuclear safety agency on Friday worsened its assessment of problems at the Fukushima nuclear power plant as soldiers and utility workers continued a frantic effort to hose down overheating nuclear fuel with water cannons.

The Nuclear and Industrial Safety Agency raised the level from a 4 to 5 -- putting it on par with the 1979 incident at Pennsylvania's Three Mile Island.

According to the International Nuclear Events Scale, a level 5 equates to the likelihood of a release of radioactive material, several deaths from radiation and severe damage to a reactor core.

The Chernobyl nuclear accident in the former Soviet Union rated a 7 on the scale, while Japan's other nuclear crisis -- a 1999 accident at Tokaimura in which workers died after being exposed to radiation -- was a 4. The partial meltdown of a reactor core at Three Mile Island was deemed the worst nuclear accident in U.S. history.

How long it took after the earthquake for the tsunami to hit land?

How long it took after the earthquake for the tsunami to hit land?

Pretty quickly and within minutes. They have the speed of an airplane although I assume that the further it travels, the lesser the speed.

The epicenter was 200 miles from coast and it traveled at 500 mph. So it was 20 minutes max before reaching coast and I doubt the sirens went off the exact moment the earthquake struck. It was basically run to the hills if you were able to do so or get swallowed by the sea in your bed.

I remember CNN reporting some small towns had 5 minutes warning.

Oh, and thanks to Directv for taking CNN International off for another shopping channel. How many late night shopping channels selling Dolphins do we need?

I remember CNN reporting some small towns had 5 minutes warning.

Oh, and thanks to Directv for taking CNN International off for another shopping channel. How many late night shopping channels selling Dolphins do we need?

The epicenter was 200 miles from coast and it traveled at 500 mph. So it was 20 minutes max before reaching coast and I doubt the sirens went off the exact moment the earthquake struck. It was basically run to the hills if you were able to do so or get swallowed by the sea in your bed.

200/500 hrs= 24 min.

But it reached the coast hitting 500 mph. It wasn't fired like a bullet when the earthquake struck and maintained the 500 mph speed for the whole 200 miles. Speed is gained as the bottom of the ocean becomes shallower creating a nozzle effect.