HUGH earthquake strikes japan

• Start date
  • Replies 110 Comments
  • Views 9,109 Views
The reactor didn't explode. The exterior masonry walls of the building collapsed and that was the dust you saw on the video just like when they demolish a building. If the reactor explodes it will be a big flash like you see in nuclear bomb tests and the whole site will be obliterated.

so are we gonna have 3 mile island or cherynobl on our hands here>?

The reactor didn't explode. The exterior masonry walls of the building collapsed and that was the dust you saw on the video just like when they demolish a building. If the reactor explodes it will be a big flash like you see in nuclear bomb tests and the whole site will be obliterated.

:coolingoff:

Right now is a Three Mile Island type of emergency but if they can't get the cooling systems back on power it can turn into Chernobyl quickly.

A building just exploded near the reactor. They say radiation levels should remain low but still a 12 mile radius effected.

Did Godzilla make it OK?

Seriously though, this is pretty awful.

It is and it could still get worse. they just said on the news that 4 whole train cars are totally missing, passengers and all. also that reactor cooling situation is not looking good.

$15m worth of damage in San Fran from the tsunami.

$15m seems to be an excessive amount just one day out. After a hurricane it takes weeks to get a grasp of the cost of repairs. I think someone may have thrown that number out there looking for some early disaster relief monies.

On a side note, any hear from MrsX from Hawaii? She didn't float away did she?

mrs. x is doing fine. and yes i was bamboozled by that 15 million number as well

I wouldn't be surprised if they have 50,000 dead from the Japan earthquake. Right now they can't even access the flooded areas and look for bodies. And many bodies would turn in the sewers once the water starts receding. All these cars and houses that were obliterated must had people in them.

The footage is some of the most sadly amazing stuff I've ever seen.

another explosion at a nuclear somthing or other

wait, not an explosion.... another potential meltdown I think

Well they are running out of options at the nuclear power plants. First they lost power to the cooling system. Then the diesel generators couldn't cool the reactor rods fast enough and now those are broken and they have pumped seawater in the reactor to cool it down and this doesn't work either. I think their last resort is to abandon the building and bombard it from the air with liquid nitrogen.