HUGH earthquake strikes japan

• Start date
  • Replies 110 Comments
  • Views 9,060 Views
How does a tsunami start so many fires? I keep seeing pictures of things on fire and thinking... Well, jeez, there's a bunch of water RIGHT THERE. I think that might actually be the worst way to die. Burning to death in the middle of a tsunami.

The tsunami didn't start the fires. The earthquake itself did since the ground shaking displaced and ruptured the pipelines which ignited.

I swear this part of the world is cursed.

Fuck this shit.

I WANT OUT NOW.

The tsunami didn't start the fires. The earthquake itself did since the ground shaking displaced and ruptured the pipelines which ignited.

fires are staretd in lots of ways. The earthquake causes a lot of fire damage usually from breaking gas lines, but also from devistating oil refineries, power plants etc. Even your average household can catch on fire due to earth quake damage. Electrical and gas are main causes, also cars tend to catch on firse when plummeted into other objects. The tsunami is moving at such a heavy vilocity that it hurls objects into other objects, like cars and such. The power of the water is enough to break throughh gas pipes and tear down electrical towers. We all know what happens when electricty and water mix. That is what is happening.

Attachments

• tsunami.jpg
    tsunami.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 200
I swear this part of the world is cursed.

Fuck this shit.

I WANT OUT NOW.

The Appointment in Samara
By Somerset Maugham

A certain merchant in Baghdad sent his servant to the market to buy some provisions. A little while later, the servant returned looking white in the face. In a trembling voice he said, "Just now in the market place I was jostled by a man in the crowd, and when I turned I saw it was Mr. Death. He looked at me and made a threatening gesture. Please lend me your horse, because I want to go to Samara where Mr. Death will not be able to find me." The merchant agreed and lent the scared man his horse. The servant mounted the horse and rode away as fast as the animal could gallop. Later that day, the merchant went down to the market place and saw Mr. Death standing in the crowd. He approached him and said, "Why did you make a threatening gesture to my servant when you saw him this morning?" "That was not a threatening gesture," said Mr. Death. "It was only a start of surprise. I was astonished to see him in Baghdad, because I have an appointment with him tonight in Samara."

fires are staretd in lots of ways. The earthquake causes a lot of fire damage usually from breaking gas lines, but also from devistating oil refineries, power plants etc. Even your average household can catch on fire due to earth quake damage. Electrical and gas are main causes, also cars tend to catch on firse when plummeted into other objects. The tsunami is moving at such a heavy vilocity that it hurls objects into other objects, like cars and such. The power of the water is enough to break throughh gas pipes and tear down electrical towers. We all know what happens when electricty and water mix. That is what is happening.

The earthquake causes ground shaking before the tsunami arrives. Pipes are buried in the ground and the ground movement ruptures the gas pipes. Also spilled chemicals from ruptured or overturned tanks can have exothermic reactions and ignite fires. The ground shaking also affects the power lines by toppling high voltage transmission towers and have loose live downed lines on the ground igniting fires.

The earthquake causes ground shaking before the tsunami arrives. Pipes are buried in the ground and the ground movement ruptures the gas pipes. Also spilled chemicals from ruptured or overturned tanks can have exothermic reactions and ignite fires. The ground shaking also affects the power lines by toppling high voltage transmission towers and have loose live downed lines on the ground igniting fires.

exactly

Have a friend in Tokyo, who is keeping us updated on facebook. Power keeps going on/off and her phone is about to die, so no phone calls. Insane stuff.

Pressure in nuclear reactor is rising and they are evacuating people. Horror.

did north korea have anything to do with this?

1851: More on the troubled nuclear plant: Japan's trade minister, Banri Kaieda, says authorities are nearing a decision to release radioactive steam from the Fukushima nuclear reactor in a bid to ease a build-up of pressure, AFP reports. Thousands of local residents have been evacuated.

1841: The situation at the nuclear reactor at Fukushima seems to be worsening. Japanese authorities are now to release radioactive vapour to ease pressure, AP news agency reports. Engineers are trying to fix the cooling system to the main reactor, damaged in the quake.

I am expecting aftershocks and other Tsunami warnings the next couple of days right? Isn't that how it usually works?

Vagabond: Yuck.

SoV: I just read that 3 times and that is literally frightening. I think I understand it all but maybe Pavy can explain more of it for me.

Caspy: I think aftershocks, etc are inevitable. A few weeks ago a town in New Zealand had an earthquake. Maybe a 6 or 7. It turned out it was merely an aftershock from a bigger earthquake almost 3 months before in December. The actual earthquake in December caused no deaths because it happened in the middle of the night as opposed to 12 noon on a weekday in the CBD, which is when the big aftershock happened. The aftershock a few weeks ago killed over 250 people and counting in a somewhat smallish NZ city. Even though there have been 30+ aftershocks since then, yesterday they had another major one ie 5 or 6. These are still affects from that damn earthquake almost 4 months ago.

I can only assume that because of how many aftershocks occurred after a 'small' earthquake in comparison, this area will be hit for quite awhile afterwards. This shit always seems to happen "somewhere else" until you know people stuck in the middle of it or have friends who have people close to them there. I hate it all and it just makes me so bloody sad.