Do Americans really believe they live in the freest country on earth?

• Start date
  • Replies 192 Comments
  • Views 10,445 Views
Every state has it's own laws. Canada is like a state with it's own laws.

A 51st state.

That is basically my thought process when any of these Canada vs America debates pop up.

You guys wish we cared enough to have a rivalry. But we don't.

Blitty, I wish you were intelligent enough to participate in these threads.

If you were, first thing you would realize is that this isn't a Canada vs USA debate or rivalry, not even close.

Blitty, you got good looks. Be happy for that, pal.

That is my point plom. If you were a US citizen and took your attitude through us immigration you would probably get hassled.

Though I can't really say. For all the crap I've heard, I never had a problem. Every time asked what I do for work in Colombia I made up some bs. Most people I know just say professional gambler, but i never did.

These last few times i made up some bs about us going to finish up some loose ends as mrs D visa is for residency here and is not allowed for her to live there. Nothing came of it.

RJ has had quite different experiences.

You might be the most inteligent guy here, plummer. But this thread title is retarded.

Free or Not--there is nowhere else in the world I would rather live than NYC right now.

Reeto I really don't believe I have an "attitude". I believe I'm just sticking up for myself and also because I get annoyed having to answer personal questions to a stranger while attempting to return home.

The whole point is that our government says we are free, as Canadians "to enter, leave, or remain in Canada".
There is no asterisk beside the law stating this only applies if we answer personal questions when attempting to return home.

I try my best to comply with Immigration officers in Canada but just like law enforcement as soon as you answer a question they ask another. I have a short fuse and lose patience with authority.

I'm not really sure what your thread title is about either. Freest can mean a lot of different things to a lot of different people. My personal opinion is no, but I can't say it's the worst option out of all of them so I'll settle for mediocrity.

You might be the most inteligent guy here, plummer. But this thread title is retarded.

Free or Not--there is nowhere else in the world I would rather live than NYC right now.

There is nowhere else in the world I would rather live than Toronto, ever.
Dude, I agree 100%.

I'm not really sure what your thread title is about either. Freest can mean a lot of different things to a lot of different people. My personal opinion is no, but I can't say it's the worst option out of all of them so I'll settle for mediocrity.

Faller, I was looking for some dialogue on the topic, serious dialogue.

The thread wasn't meant to offend, my interest was sincere.

It is obvious that there are some here that are insecure and saw the thread as an attack or insult, not the case.

As someone who doesn't take alot of things seriously I understand that some may have thought I wasn't being serious with this thread.

Last edited:
I'm not offended in the least bit plommer. I enjoy the conversation. If people can't talk about this shit we might as well just keep voting for republicans and democrats as if that'll solve our problems.

I'm on a boat.

Troll_doll.jpg

I'm not offended in the least bit plommer. I enjoy the conversation. If people can't talk about this shit we might as well just keep voting for republicans and democrats as if that'll solve our problems.
I grew up in Toronto, 85 miles away from the US border, we get all the US network stations from Buffalo but we are not Americans and growing up often wondered what was so incredibly fantastic about Buffalo NY and why America was great but Canada not so. Canadian newscasts didn't feature the same patriotism as the American ones. This was noticeable.

I guess this is just an extension of that.

I remember a story on the Buffalo news years ago about a refugee family from some central American country that was stuck in a Buffalo church while waiting for permission to enter Canada, the message of the news story was why would you want to go to Canada when you are already here in the USA? Honestly, anyone who has spent time in Buffalo or Western NY and Toronto couldn't possibly consider Buffalo the better place to be. No fucking way.

Reeto I really don't believe I have an "attitude". I believe I'm just sticking up for myself and also because I get annoyed having to answer personal questions to a stranger while attempting to return home.

The whole point is that our government says we are free, as Canadians "to enter, leave, or remain in Canada".
There is no asterisk beside the law stating this only applies if we answer personal questions when attempting to return home.

I try my best to comply with Immigration officers in Canada but just like law enforcement as soon as you answer a question they ask another. I have a short fuse and lose patience with authority.

Try coming in to the USA as a US citizen from Cuba. Oh wait, they don't allow that. Freedom my ass.

Hey US GOVT DURITO went to Cuba and you didn't even find out about it.

Try coming in to the USA as a US citizen from Cuba. Oh wait, they don't allow that. Freedom my ass.

Hey US GOVT DURITO went to Cuba and you didn't even find out about it.

No doubt.

My father gets really annoyed with the US immigration guys when they go to the states to shop, my parents are both Canadian and naturalized US citizens from the 13 years they lived in Bradenton Florida. When they visit the US they enter as Americans but their vehicle is registered in Ontario and they live in Canada and this always brings lots of extra questions from American authorities.

The solution was to apply for Nexus cards so they can just drive across from either country without having to deal with immigration.

http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/prog/nexus/menu-eng.html

I showed my parents where there is a remote and very lightly used crossing from Niagara Falls Ontario to Niagara Falls NY at the whirlpool bridge, its not open to the public anymore, only Nexus members.

https://maps.google.ca/maps?q=whirlpool+bridge&ll=43.108934,-79.060157&spn=0.001224,0.00327&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-a&fb=1&gl=ca&hq=whirlpool+bridge&hnear=0x89d4cb90d7c63ba5:0x323555502ab4c477,Toronto,+ON&cid=0,0,4714310872278975822&t=m&z=19&layer=c&cbll=43.10877,-79.060117&panoid=NThcdNYeq6kUqVPmD9mkiQ&cbp=12,23.31,,1,2.14

I grew up in Toronto, 85 miles away from the US border, we get all the US network stations from Buffalo but we are not Americans and growing up often wondered what was so incredibly fantastic about Buffalo NY and why America was great but Canada not so. Canadian newscasts didn't feature the same patriotism as the American ones. This was noticeable.

I guess this is just an extension of that.

I remember a story on the Buffalo news years ago about a refugee family from some central American country that was stuck in a Buffalo church while waiting for permission to enter Canada, the message of the news story was why would you want to go to Canada when you are already here in the USA? Honestly, anyone who has spent time in Buffalo or Western NY and Toronto couldn't possibly consider Buffalo the better place to be. No fucking way.

I've been to Canada once and enjoyed my stay, but it's easier for me to say since I originated in the US. I think in the past maybe 30 years America has gotten this stupid rep as if we have something to offer when we're all equally fucked. You just have to picked how fucked you wanna get for your desires.

Faller, if you ever want to hunt moose, fish, and fuck loose native indian women we can meet up in Thunder Bay and do it all!

Not at all free. Freedom is an illusion.