Do Americans really believe they live in the freest country on earth?

• Start date
  • Replies 192 Comments
  • Views 10,442 Views
Where did you come up with me "opposing" freedom and democracy in a country I don't live in?

14k posts means I have lots of free time on my hands, when I'm not posting I'm likely sleeping til noon or out participating in leisure activities of some sort.

I have no job, no debt, no mortgage, no car, no responsibility. I have some freedom.

I realize the lifestyle I chose may not be for everyone.

You told me that freedom meant spending time with family. I would think you would want to utilize that freedom in your "free time."

I know this, I'm genuinely interested in hearing honest answers from intelligent posters like yourself and Durito.

Reeto is ultimately credibile as he has spent much time outside of the USA.

There are a lot of great things about this country I guess. I did after all come back to live here. But, that certainly wasn't for me. I can't handle it here Plom, I'm fking miserable.

Life here is as you see it mostly (though it really isn't much different from canada). Immigrants come here for the opportunity (to make money). Maybe they also come to escape some sort of violence in their home country, but for the most part they would all rather go back to where they came if it was economically feasible.

LOL. Yeah. A little bit.

Is there a backstory to Cougar Bait that you remember at all or is this guy just a nutcase? I understand Bread doing it during his midlife crisis and divorce but I don't think I've ever even talked with this dude and he's obsessed with me. I know that Brock Landers purchased a plane ticket for him to go to Vegas and check out some smooth rides...and the guy sits at a bar by himself and tapes women walking by....but really unsure how I got involved in their lovefest

You told me that freedom meant spending time with family. I would think you would want to utilize that freedom in your "free time."

Where did I say I didn't spend time with family?

I have a brother in Ottawa, a sister in Mississauga, aunts and uncles in Niagara Falls, Woodbridge, and Windsor, Ontario and cousins in Florida, my parents are in Toronto.

I visit with most of them or text and email daily.

I spent last weekend in Niagara Falls with my aunt, her daughter and my cousins twin 5 yr olds, had a blast.

Is there a backstory to Cougar Bait that you remember at all or is this guy just a nutcase? I understand Bread doing it during his midlife crisis and divorce but I don't think I've ever even talked with this dude and he's obsessed with me. I know that Brock Landers purchased a plane ticket for him to go to Vegas and check out some smooth rides...and the guy sits at a bar by himself and tapes women walking by....but really unsure how I got involved in their lovefest

Not sure, man. CB is an all-around good guy though.

Where did I say I didn't spend time with family?

I have a brother in Ottawa, a sister in Mississauga, aunts and uncles in Niagara Falls, Woodbridge, and Windsor, Ontario and cousins in Florida, my parents are in Toronto.

I visit with most of them or text and email daily.

I spent last weekend in Niagara Falls with my aunt, her daughter and my cousins twin 5 yr olds, had a blast.

Your cousin's twin 5 year olds are both sluts.

There are a lot of great things about this country I guess. I did after all come back to live here. But, that certainly wasn't for me. I can't handle it here Plom, I'm fking miserable.

Life here is as you see it mostly (though it really isn't much different from canada). Immigrants come here for the opportunity (to make money). Maybe they also come to escape some sort of violence in their home country, but for the most part they would all rather go back to where they came if it was economically feasible.

I made friends with an immigrant from Ethiopia back around 2002, we were both truck drivers, he just obtained his license.

He told me about a group of them that left Ethiopia for North America, 1/3 in Canada and 2/3 in the US midwest. They often visited each other. Their impression of north America was that America was a better place to make money but that the lifestyle in Canada was more laid back and less stressful overall. They had more free time in Canada but had more money in the USA. Healthcare was an issue, the Canadian residents never had to worry about hospitalization.

I have all the free time in the world.

That sucks, sorry to hear this.

I have all the free time in the world.

I've had a few run ins with Canadian immigration officers when returning to Canada from the USA, Bahamas, or Cuba.

They ask dumb questions, unrelated to my status in Canada. They ask personal questions like "what do I do for a living?" or "Why did you go there?" etc. I used to answer with "none of your fucking business" but have toned it down somewhat the last few years.

I present my proof of Canadian citizenship ie passport to the immigration officer and and any forms they need completed and will answer legit questions regarding any items I may be importing but I fucking refuse to answer any personal questions and let them know it, entering Canada as a citizen is a right, not a privilege granted by some fuck wearing a uniform with a flag on it.

They act like I need permission to enter the country I was born and raised in.

homie don't play that.

:canada:

Plom, you would get detained entering the USA (obvisouly, but i am saying if you were from here and presented that attitude they would fk with you worse than the canadians do i'm sure).

I guess. I don't know. I had these friends in Medellin. Two brothers from NYC, great guys. They would tell me stories of bs they got entering the us coming back from Colombia. I'd never had any issues but I listened to them a bunch. So one time I'm coming back and this guy starts in with the questions, so thinking of them I'm a little hostile instead of being nice. Turns out the guy was from Medellin and just curious. Didn't give a shit what I was doing. Asked him about USA, says he likes the pay of his job but he'd go back to Colombia tomorrow if he could get a decent job.

My "beef" is that some federal politicians want to make life here MORE like America, with similar tough on crime policies and scaling back of social programs. I'm convinced these Canadian politicians have this agenda to appease the US government, mainly because so much of our trade is with the United States.

I would hope that Canada tries to be more like some European countries and less like the USA.

Plom, you would get detained entering the USA (obvisouly, but i am saying if you were from here and presented that attitude they would fk with you worse than the canadians do i'm sure).

I guess. I don't know. I had these friends in Medellin. Two brothers from NYC, great guys. They would tell me stories of bs they got entering the us coming back from Colombia. I'd never had any issues but I listened to them a bunch. So one time I'm coming back and this guy starts in with the questions, so thinking of them I'm a little hostile instead of being nice. Turns out the guy was from Medellin and just curious. Didn't give a shit what I was doing. Asked him about USA, says he likes the pay of his job but he'd go back to Colombia tomorrow if he could get a decent job.

Reeto, my interaction with US customs and Immigration and any other countries immigration officers is to be as professional and polite as I can be, I recognize that I am a visitor and as a visitor it's a privledge and not my right to enter their country.

My attitude is always with Canada Customs and immigration when returning home to Canada. If they are asking legit questions fine, but asking me about my job or why I chose to go to Havana instead of somewhere else is none of there fucking business and I tell them so.

It's the way they ask the questions, they are trained and use certain techniques similar to the police, ever notice how when you answer, if they are suspicious they will repeat your answer back to you?

I've had enough interaction with the police over the years to know how they operate and my MO is to say as little as possible, ignoring any questions I don't want to answer. This pisses them off.

I am ALWAYS reluctant to provide information of any type to the authorities in Canada, be it the police or customs and immigration.

Last edited:
Every state has it's own laws. Canada is like a state with it's own laws.

A 51st state.

That is basically my thought process when any of these Canada vs America debates pop up.

You guys wish we cared enough to have a rivalry. But we don't.