Do Americans really believe they live in the freest country on earth?

• Start date
  • Replies 192 Comments
  • Views 10,608 Views
No one country is perfect, it's mostly a matter of opinion, and I could think of worse places to be.

Matty I was told by a reliable source that you are doing a lot of cocaine and other drugs. After all I did to prevent it at the SBR Bash....shame shame shame.

Cami is right of course.

It was a potentially interesting topic turned to mush with a long spew of rhetoric, strawmen, logical fallacies, ridiculous stereotypes/generalizations etc. etc. - all viewed through the lens of the putting-Americans-in-their-place-is-just-a-little-too-important-to-me complex of some Canadians that I have had to deal with my whole life.

In the end, Cami is right.

Everything is a big massive gray area.

Cami buried plommer again. End thread.

Holy shit blitty, that signature. :rolling:

blitty why does cougar bait have my photo as his avatar...do you know?

The story of the blind men and an elephant originated in India from where it has widely diffused. It has been used to illustrate a range of truths and fallacies. At various times it has provided insight into the relativism, opaqueness or inexpressible nature of truth, the behaviour of experts in fields where there is a deficit or inaccessibility of information, the need for communication, and respect for different perspectives.

The story

In various versions of the tale, a group of blind men (or men in the dark) touch an elephant to learn what it is like. Each one feels a different part, but only one part, such as the side or the tusk. They then compare notes and learn that they are in complete disagreement.

The stories differ primarily in how the elephant's body parts are described, how violent the conflict becomes and how (or if) the conflict among the men and their perspectives is resolved.

In some versions, they stop talking, start listening and collaborate to "see" the full elephant. When a sighted man walks by and sees the entire elephant all at once, they also learn they are blind. While one's subjective experience is true, it may not be the totality of truth. If the sighted man was deaf, he would not hear the elephant bellow. Denying something you cannot perceive ends up becoming an argument for your limitations.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blind_men_and_an_elephant

I think you are obsessed with the word Freedom. 37 of my current students are from the Middle East. Of the 37, two are cells. That means 35 individuals come to the United States to get an education they cannot get anywhere else, and pay a substantial amount of money to do so. Is that "FREEDOM?," I don't know. All I know is that they came here because it is better than there.

Are you fucking serious? Seriously??

I'm not obsessed with the word, I'm interested to know what Americans really believe.

Of course there are some things that America has that are better than some countries, like education and technology.

A B.Comm is a B.Comm. An MBA is an MBA unless of course you get it online at the University of Phoenix Online.

Ever see an elephant speed down a hill on a bike?

tumblr_m4yilbbSdy1r3gb3zo1_400.gif

I could watch this until the end of times.

Freedom schmfreedom.

Freedom schmfreedom.

That looks like Acid Joe's date.

I've had a few run ins with Canadian immigration officers when returning to Canada from the USA, Bahamas, or Cuba.

They ask dumb questions, unrelated to my status in Canada. They ask personal questions like "what do I do for a living?" or "Why did you go there?" etc. I used to answer with "none of your fucking business" but have toned it down somewhat the last few years.

I present my proof of Canadian citizenship ie passport to the immigration officer and and any forms they need completed and will answer legit questions regarding any items I may be importing but I fucking refuse to answer any personal questions and let them know it, entering Canada as a citizen is a right, not a privilege granted by some fuck wearing a uniform with a flag on it.

They act like I need permission to enter the country I was born and raised in.

homie don't play that.

:canada:

Wow...I get the same hassles when I travel back from CR/Panama. I always get antsy going through U.S. customs, but not once ever had a problem. Once I go through customs (usually in NS) in Canada I get the same personal questions. Where do I work, why was I in CR and Panama, tell me about your position with the company you work for. It's fucked up. Fuckers make me feel like a criminal. Never had those kind of hassles going through customs in the U.S. Not even close.

Freedom schmfreedom.

:lmao::lmao::lmao:

I mean WTF did she think that nothing but bad would come from that!