Big Boys Club

• Start date
  • Replies 2,835 Comments
  • Views 97,853 Views
I tried to maintain 30km/h (18.75mph) for a full hour yesterday. Was a bit ambitious - I did it for 30 mins but then faltered a bit during the second half. Still managed 28.6km/h (17.8mph) in the end.
Screenshot_20210805-211801_Strava.jpg

Do the hardcore guys have pee bags similar to the drinking bags?

No. You tend to not need to pee for several hours when going hard. Massive sweat loss.

Tour de France riders are unoficially allowed to draft behind a team car to regain their original position if and when they need to stop to pee.

New whip 🥳 2009 Kona Zing, carbon fork, aluminum frame, FSA crankset w/ compact chainring set (50/34T), Shimano 105 shifters, Shimano Ultegra rear derailleur, weighs in just under 20lbs. Test ride felt amazing. Gonna go get some gold medals in Strava now.

20210806_113643.jpg

:174:

Nice Matty!!

Those shimanos make a hugh difference

How much?

Nice Matty!!

Those shimanos make a hugh difference

How much?
500 Canadian Dollorz

As I expected, it's not night and day in terms of speed but it is obviously faster. I beat my personal bests on every Strava segment I just went through. Everything about the bike is just crisper and more responsive. It shifts like butter and the brakes are super strong.

Man, what a machine 🥰

I was also looking at a Trek from 2002 with similar specs but it was farther and it was blue and this is red and black like my motorcycle and I'm dumb like that. 🥳 Canadian brand too.

First ride on it... four segments, four personal bests:
Screenshot_20210806-134556_Strava.jpg

Nice bike, pal! Enjoy!!!

At least we all agree now that different bikes and bike parts can make you go faster because the totality of bike weight, tire width and the position/type of handlebars while pedaling (aerodynamics) matter!

Mr. Monkey!!!!!!!!!!

I just felt like typing more exclamations points!

Nice bike, pal! Enjoy!!!

At least we all agree now that different bikes and bike parts can make you go faster because the totality of bike weight, tire width and the position/type of handlebars while pedaling (aerodynamics) matter!

Mr. Monkey!!!!!!!!!!

I just felt like typing more exclamations points!
Oh yeah, in your case, the geometry means you can't easily do the race tuck.

My point remains though - an expensive bike is not THAT much faster than a well-tuned cheap bike. But it sure feels amazing to ride.

One example - over a 6km segment, I beat my previous best by 26 seconds, from 10:50 to 10:24. It is a significant improvement, but the new bike didn't magically turn me into Tadej Pogacar:
Screenshot_20210806-151009_Strava.jpg

I didn't even know bikes had years :dunno:
They are like cars now. I wonder what year my hybrid is :thinking:
I went for little ride yesterday and my seat suddenly tilted up while I was going. I guess screws weren't tight enough. ..:hey: man that was not good

I didn't even know bikes had years :dunno:
They are like cars now. I wonder what year my hybrid is :thinking:
They always have. Companies usually update their shiz once a year even if it's just a new paint scheme. Makes it relatively easy to know what you're buying. My bike's seller wasn't exactly sure, so I had to look through past Kona catalogs. This paint scheme was only offered in 2009, ans the rest of the specs are an exact match. :greencheck: Nothing was changed on it, not even the original tires. It clearly hasn't seen much action in 12 years.

New whip 🥳 2009 Kona Zing, carbon fork, aluminum frame, FSA crankset w/ compact chainring set (50/34T), Shimano 105 shifters, Shimano Ultegra rear derailleur, weighs in just under 20lbs. Test ride felt amazing. Gonna go get some gold medals in Strava now.

View attachment 5792
:174:

The handles look like a charging bull, now you could be Matty The Bull Rain :greencheck:

Good work McBalls! Still hovering around 188-190, been eating like shit too. Need to lose another 10-15 to look good in cycling spandex.

#common

You guys are all kicking ass!!

I feel like a fat ass compared to you guys