Why Tipping Should Be Outlawed

• Start date
  • Replies 98 Comments
  • Views 8,414 Views
Regarding the tip jar/bowl - at my rehearsal dinner where 20% gratuity was included in our price, the bartenders saw fit to set out a tip-bowl or whatever. My mom (who was paying half the tab) was a little put-off... I was too.

I always tip a maid at a hotel or motel. These are the people that work the hardest in these joints, cleaning filth etc... Plus if you leave something behind they hold the key to whether or not it is "recovered." Not to mention that tipping $3-5 a day and pilfering $30/day of trial size soaps/mouthwash is +ev.

Another practice I enjoy with tipping is to directly tip a subordinate tipee. At most restaurants the bus-staff is tipped out from the waitstaff. For example, where I worked we tipped off our tips, 7% to the bus boy, 7% to the bartender, 7% to the expo. As a patron, if I receive particularly attentive bus boy service I will often slip the kid a $5-20.

Boner, I agree with what you saying ...... but see we had a rehearsal dinner where it was just sit down at the table for everything and most restaurants with a bigger party with include 18, 20% whatever!

Now in your case were the bartenders stationed away from the table for drinks earlier before everyone sat down for dinner? Maybe the 20% was only included for the waitresses, waiters serving you at the table?

Nah, there was no table service. It was buffet (BBQ) and walk-up bar service in a small space (40 people). It wasn't the end of the world, just seemed a little tacky - and only from our perspective, not the rest of the guests.

I tip a min of $3 a night if I stay at a hotel.

Cleaning a dirty hotel room is a helluva thing to do, boys.

Bone, I'm at smorgasborg. Didn't put a buck in the beer jar.

#winning

:megaman:

I left 10 bucks and a $30 bottle of cider that I never got to open and couldn't bring back with me.

I never think about it otherwise. Feel retroactively bad for years of stiffing the maids.

I can't imagine how bad service would be here without tipping. It's bad enough the way it is. Give these lazy assholes less incentive to do their fucking jobs and I'll be waiting an extra 10 minutes to get my drink refilled.

Fuck that.

Haha yeah thats because we really have nothing to be complaining about so we take to FB and the like and find something to erk us...

Murdoch media also has a giant hard-on for anything relating to politics and/or gun violence in the US.

Its like the majority dont want firearms to be legal but the fantasization of being able to bear arms as stated in constitution takes anay any pre-existing logic...

Bartenders and the like may be making a killing in money central aka NYC but what about the broader sections of the country??

here in south eastern section , southwest GA all depends on the place of business. My X was/is a habitual server, hostess, or whatever at any given time and has worked at about 75% of restaurants in town and fired from 50% of them.
she used to make like $2.15 hr plus tips working average 3 -4 hrs a day. being a server at the "higher class" places she considered bringing home $50+ a good night.
not a living wage by any means.

bartenders make decent money just from tips at most places. my old watering hole a certain bartender supplemented her tips
with taking advantage of shit faced patrons by padding their bills cause they to drunk to know or care.

she got me once, then bitch stole my winning keno ticket claiming it was a loser when I knew for fact I hit 3 numbers on the games playedwhich had already passed about 20 minutes before I had her run the ticket.
trifling ass whore. after causing a scene and tired of arguing w/ the nasty trailer park lifer to keep the little bit of cash since $20 -$30 means that much to ya.
and that was the last time I went to what had b/c my cheers bar over past 10 yrs.... except for a short visit few weeks ago w/ lady friend.
asked for Jack n Coke---- we're out of Jack
how bout Beam n Coke---- outta beam also
hmm how bout shot patron---- dont have patron

"how bout you just fix me a dark whisky n coke of whatever the fuk yall do have in stock on a Saturday evening"
believe I was served Kentucky Gentleman, not sure

that wrapped it up for my cash getting spent there. and thats common for them be out of popular , common brands.
how fuk you own/run a bar and run out of major money makers on busiest nights of weeK?

another gripe of mine is the bars/night clubs around that come and go every 8 months or so...
always 1 closing down and another opening, lot of times same bar just change name.
guess 1 owner goes under files bankrupt, changes name and or sell to buddy for $1 and repeat the failed business plan over and over.

but what gets me is the bartenders expecting a tip for every drink or beer you buy?
WTF, I pay $3.50 for a beer then you expect a $1 tip for bending over to fetch my beer from the ice box:choke:
god forbid they have one of the annoying as chimes or bells to ring as they call you out for not tipping.
auto - no tip for life from me when they do that

Regarding the tip jar/bowl - at my rehearsal dinner where 20% gratuity was included in our price, the bartenders saw fit to set out a tip-bowl or whatever. My mom (who was paying half the tab) was a little put-off... I was too.

I always tip a maid at a hotel or motel. These are the people that work the hardest in these joints, cleaning filth etc... Plus if you leave something behind they hold the key to whether or not it is "recovered." Not to mention that tipping $3-5 a day and pilfering $30/day of trial size soaps/mouthwash is +ev.

Another practice I enjoy with tipping is to directly tip a subordinate tipee. At most restaurants the bus-staff is tipped out from the waitstaff. For example, where I worked we tipped off our tips, 7% to the bus boy, 7% to the bartender, 7% to the expo. As a patron, if I receive particularly attentive bus boy service I will often slip the kid a $5-20.

Winner. 20% unless you suck at life. $5/night for hotel maid service. If you frequent a place enough and tip well you will notice your service is better, your bill suddenly has 2 less beers a night on it, etc. If you don't tip when you go out do everyone a favor and just walk into traffic.

Hung out with an Aussie acquaintance today. We went to various bars around the city. He kept asking me: "Is this new neighborhood we are going to dangerous?."

Me: "No, unless you're a 10 year old girl MAYBE."

He's 35 and never seen a handgun in his life.

Attn: Australia and Canada

We grew up with guns and the vast majority of our citizens are responsible with them.

Not our fault that your were brainwashed by the media your entire lives that we are SO gun saturated, and at a level 2 out of 10 in safety rating.

You guys are kind of pussies if you can't handle it. It's comical how terrified some folk are.

Generally speaking.

11 bullets buzzed by my head while typing this post.

Lot more badasses here than any other elsewheres.

We went out to Dante's last night..they are closing next month after 43 years..it's a fondue restaurant in Atlanta..very famous..and the tip was already added to the final bill..made my life so much easier..the service was excellent!

This is a good tipping thread.

I still ain't tipping maids.

Tipped enough on $43 something this weekend to make it $60. The wings were shitty too. Whatever, had a buzz going and felt good. For a place known for their wings, those sure were shitty.

This is a good tipping thread.

I still ain't tipping maids.

You belong in a cage!

ambymatty.jpg