Why Tipping Should Be Outlawed

• Start date
  • Replies 98 Comments
  • Views 8,502 Views
If the housekeeping service is good. I leave a $5 bill on the pillow every day. The service usually gets way better by day 2.

A lot of people rely on tips for their living.

Thanks for the thread bump. 😉

Confirmed still on my old thoughts. Christmas bonus is a whole nother ball game. Used to have tons of people to bonus in NYC. Now in burbs it's just cleaning lady, garbage dudes, mailman. Barber and car wash guys will get an extra large tip around the holiday.

A lot of people rely on tips for their living.

Thanks for the thread bump. 😉
Without tips, I would have to pay a MUCH higher hourly rate for my FOH employees. Without the tipping incentive, I would essentially get fast food worker mentality from my staff. Tipping gives a huge incentive to do better. Considering we now have a younger generation that feels entitled in the workplace, the idea of outlawing tipping would cause a Very sharp decline in service and the ability to hire ambitious and reliable staff.

Without tips, I would have to pay a MUCH higher hourly rate for my FOH employees. Without the tipping incentive, I would essentially get fast food worker mentality from my staff. Tipping gives a huge incentive to do better. Considering we now have a younger generation that feels entitled in the workplace, the idea of outlawing tipping would cause a Very sharp decline in service and the ability to hire ambitious and reliable staff.
Great post! 👍🏽

Sorry if we covered this already but….

What are we tipping for takeout food?

For example, sushi?

$2-4 for all called in or counter ordered food. $1 for coffee.

For example, sushi?
If I’m walking or driving to get takeout, they’re getting a “Thank You”

And perhaps 10% …

Usually nothing …

For example, sushi?
The standard at the restaurant I bartend at is usually $2-5. We do a lot of takeout, and all of the money goes to the back of the house. At a guess, 75% do tip on the takeout.