Why Tipping Should Be Outlawed

• Start date
  • Replies 98 Comments
  • Views 8,461 Views
I typically always tip 15 - 20%, but it does piss me off if the service is bad. I feel compelled to tip.

I bartended for 15 years part time. You want to send a strong message if you feel you got bad service, tip 5% max. If someone doesn't tip, you think they forgot. By tipping small on a tab, the bartender/wait staff get the hint (hopefully).

It should be outlawed. Just add it on the tap automatically and round it up to the dollar. Like if the bill is 39.57..make is say $50.

I bartended for 15 years part time. You want to send a strong message if you feel you got bad service, tip 5% max. If someone doesn't tip, you think they forgot. By tipping small on a tab, the bartender/wait staff get the hint (hopefully).

I think they just turn to their co-worker and say, "what an asshole that low tipper was!".. Rather than getting the hint.

I think they just turn to their co-worker and say, "what an asshole that low tipper was!".. Rather than getting the hint.

Agreed.

unless its a black customer and then they turn and say "typical nigger" :lol:

Blurry most bartenders know when they gave crappy service. More times than not, bad tips are then result of cheap patrons.

I used to go to the spa at Ballys in Vegas for many years. Never noticed that the attendant there has a tip box. This old guy used to keep the place in top shape. He was very professional but I felt at times he acted a bit unhappy with me.

After the old guy retired and some young shlep took over I noticed the tip boxes with attendants names on them. I then realized that these guys must expect to get tipped, especially by their regulars.

Now this new guy acts like an asshole, like its a bother for him to do his job. Maybe its because I never tip.
So my dilemma was what to do? I don't mind tipping if I knew that was the proper etiquette. But now that I've never tipped the old guy, and he very much deserved it, I can bring myself to tip this douche.

anyways I'm trying to find some other place to go, mostly because of the tipping issue. I figure I'll start tipping the guy at the new place :dunno:

Matty, there's no tipping in RenoLand.

:bacon:

Tip jars at counters where you are buying food to go (like a deli) is very annoying also.

Agreed.

Publix (supermarket) asking me if I want to donate to charity EVERYTIME I'm there is also very annoying.

If you need a jar to explain you deserve a tip for the job you do, a tip isn't needed to be given IMO.

Agreed Caspy.

Daft I'm taking notes.

What about hotels and maid service? I never think of tipping the maid unless there's an envelope with a big THANK YOU! on it, which is rare.

If I stay in a hotel more than 1 night, I tip the maid.

What about hotels and maid service? I never think of tipping the maid unless there's an envelope with a big THANK YOU! on it, which is rare.

This is much worse than tip jars. Can you name such a hotel?

Even if you stay at a hotel for just 1 night, the maid should be given a tip! Say 5 straight nights most of the customers were 1 nighters, that means that maid got next to nothing!

All those handout stands at the front door, I just use "my wife gives to the St Jude Children's Hospital", which we do! It's way overblown with everyone looking for money when people can just barely survive!

Going to deli and picking up a couple of cheese steaks, get that bowl out of my face!