What are your spoken/written pet peeves?

• Start date
  • Replies 117 Comments
  • Views 7,352 Views
I am guilty of many of the things people are complaining about here. Just in case there is any doubt, I am almost always doing it ironically. I assume people understand that I am not really a valley girl but who knows?

Seriously, none of this stuff bothers me much. I have learned to keep my expectations low.

I'll tell you one thing that does tweak me a bit though. Improper use of the negative case when someone is under oath in court.

Example:

Prosecuter: Is it not true, Mr. Hobson, that you murdered your wife in cold blood?

Hobson: No!

If you understand English, you know that Hobson has just confessed under oath to murder. But everyone takes it as a denial. This happens all the time, not just on TV shows and movies but I see it in footage from actual court proceedings.

That's a weird one to me. You'd think in court at least, people would be on top of the actual meaning of their words.

mrs. x, what are they trying to say?

I hate "long story short."

This is probably just because I had an annoying friend who said it all of the time.

I went to Disney last year and realized I use the F-bomb alot more than I think I do.

I realised while talking to someone back home that I do now as well. I can only blame it on living in Australia now - not only do most people swear like truck drivers but it's also all over the tv which still kind of shocks me a bit.

My parents would be so disappointed. They drilled into my head that swearing was a lazy approach to conversation because we use those words to replace expressing what we're actually feeling. Mind you, they swore as well but usually only when watching hockey or while screaming at each other so I guess they'd forgive me somewhat.

I see what you did there with the avatar, Justin. Justin the Justin hairdo would probably work on ya. You'd just need to learn self-defense karate moves to fend off the RS of the world.

I'm with others who enjoy using "y'all". I use it often on forums, mind you I never verbally speak the word.

Part of it for me is there was a tv show I used to watch ending with a catch-phrase that had "y'all" in it. Don't remember the name of the show or the exact phrase. I think it was "Y'all come back now" or "Y'all come back now, ya hear"....

I say exactament.... cuz I'm french......

But really my pet peave is women who let me take them out for dinner, buy them drinks.... and then won't complete the deal.... WTF did you think I was paying for...... Jesus..... a small fondle and a kiss good night does not cut it......

I'm with others who enjoy using "y'all". I use it often on forums, mind you I never verbally speak the word.

Part of it for me is there was a tv show I used to watch ending with a catch-phrase that had "y'all" in it. Don't remember the name of the show or the exact phrase. I think it was "Y'all come back now" or "Y'all come back now, ya hear"....

I say exactament.... cuz I'm french......

But really my pet peave is women who let me take them out for dinner, buy them drinks.... and then won't complete the deal.... WTF did you think I was paying for...... Jesus..... a small fondle and a kiss good night does not cut it......

:duh:

Really.

Really?

No. Seriously?

Pally?

I'm getting the feeling that MrsX is going to start a new list.

MrsX loves lists.

She's turned our whole fridge into a chalkboard list.

Beverly Hillbillies. that's the show Hawk

No. It was The Dukes of Hazzard.

I thought you said you didn't pay for sex. :clueless:

From the stories you tell, women should be paying for YOUR dinner and begging YOU for sex.

Common, 20four7...............commonnnnn.

Misused apostrophes'. Very annoying and very common.