What are your spoken/written pet peeves?

• Start date
  • Replies 117 Comments
  • Views 7,341 Views

Mrs. X

seven of ten
Since
Mar 30, 2010
Score
Tokens
Mine?

Once I noticed it, I heard it everywhere. When people use the word "is" twice, when mostly they need a pause.

"What I really think is, is that people just don't think about what they're saying"

I get why it happens, but, come on, try a little harder.

Also, when people say "exactly". You hear it alot on talk radio. They're obviously not really listening to the other person, you can tell by the "mmhmmm-ing" going on in the background. Then when the other side is done talking, they burst out with "exactly, EXACTLY". Sometimes it's really, extra specially annoying when the person who is speaking, completely refutes what Mr. or Ms. Exactly is saying and they weren't expecting it. Since they weren't listening to a word the other person said, they still burst out with "exactly, EXACTLY".

Words mean things people. Pay attention.

Improper use of "literally."

No native English speaker should ever be caught typing could of/would of/should of. Drives me nuts. It makes zero sense. STOP DOING IT.

I despise poor use of the English language such as:

"We was just sharing a cigarette, officer. We ain't got no crack (left) if that's what you is lookin' for."

I hate valley girl speak.

Like really!
Like totally!
Like awesome!

:whip:

MrX

I am very familiar (not because I do it) with the storm this causes in Mr. X. It really does "literally" drive him nuts.

People who use the word "infer" when they obviously mean "imply".

i'mproper us'e o'f apostroph'es.

people who say that 'something' feels like they were 'something'. Like, "my head feels like someone shot me in the head". How the fuck do you know how that feels?

I despise poor use of the English language such as:

"We was just sharing a cigarette, officer. We ain't got no crack (left) if that's what you is lookin' for."

Actually, when it's that far gone, I kind of like it. Maybe it's just because I lived in the hood so long.

My favorite is "where you stay at". How could you not like "I ain't mad at 'cha"? It's just so basic and melodic.

MrX

You gotta allow for some hyperbole Mr. X. Mr. X that's what sets us apart from robots.

I hate valley girl speak.

Like really!
Like totally!
Like awesome!

:whip:

Oooh, I hate that shit too. I live in an area filled with McGill students and it seems that every English-speaking college girl talks like that.

Mon tabarnak to. No more candy for Fischay.

:surrender:

i fuk up so many words in so many languages i can't complain of anything

Actually, when it's that far gone, I kind of like it. Maybe it's just because I lived in the hood so long.

My favorite is "where you stay at". How could you not like "I ain't mad at 'cha"? It's just so basic and melodic.

Ain't doesn't bother me. I guess it's just the demise of "were" and "are" being taken over by "was" and "is" that do. I happen to like those two words.

Lots of things I can forgive. Some people are French, so I can forgive French speak. Lots of people come from certain geographic regions, so I can forgive Valley speak. Improper written use of there/they're/their (and similar variants like we're/were etc.) is something else - it literally make me want to vomit.

That's it. I'm going to bed. Don't need this shit.

"Fixing to..." and "Might could.."

Southern speak at its finest.