What are your spoken/written pet peeves?

• Start date
  • Replies 117 Comments
  • Views 7,356 Views
I had a boss that would use irregardless ALL of the time. I believe that she thought it made her sound smart. The word "regardless" was the correct word she should have been using.

The fact that many people use adjectives instead of adverbs to describe their actions. It's a goddamn epidemic.

Just add the fucking 'ly'.

One thing I have been noticing repeatedly from sports radio gabbers lately - which rubs me the wrong way - is the use of "compete" as a noun.

The Denver Nuggets are showing a high level of compete.

Excessively cutesy-stupid for my taste.

Business geeks like to use "ask" as a noun.

The ask is to make a new logo that doesn't completely suck.

I had a boss that would use irregardless ALL of the time. I believe that she thought it made her sound smart. The word "regardless" was the correct word she should have been using.

One of my pet peeves is when people claim irregardless isn't a word or isn't proper. It's been in nearly any dictionary for over 100 years and it means the same thing as regardless. Even as I type this my browser is underlining it in red. I personally prefer regardless but to each his own.

One thing I hate is when people pronounce the road Van Wyck Expressway here in NYC as Van WICK. They do it in the episode in Seinfeld where Elaine is trying to get her lousy British boyfriend to the airport and it's otherwise the usual pronunciation all over here in NYC. The problem is is that the road is named in honor of a man who was the first mayor of NYC after the 5 boroughs were joined and his name was pronounced Van WIKE. What is the point of honoring someone and then mispronouncing the very name you are honoring?

Boner, there is a street not far from the Toronto airport called "Viscount Rd."

Locals pronounce it "Vi count" with the "s" silent. I am a local that is trying to change this.

The street is named "Viscount" and it rhymes with "discount", it annoys me when people refer to it as Vicount Rd.

Same thing with Queens Quay - pronounced Queens Key.

One thing I have been noticing repeatedly from sports radio gabbers lately - which rubs me the wrong way - is the use of "compete" as a noun.

The Denver Nuggets are showing a high level of compete.

Excessively cutesy-stupid for my taste.

omg that idiot Mike Milbury just said it. :awful:

Come to think of it, it is mainly a hockey thing where I have heard it. Well not even mainly - exclusively. I don't know why I used the Nuggets in my example (other than they really are a scrappy competitive team where it would apply if it applied anywhere.)

That tool Pierre Maguire uses it a lot. What a piece of shit.

lol