The Polaroid Random Thoughts Baseball Thread

• Start date
  • Replies 2,799 Comments
  • Views 216,036 Views
Yeah I was just doing a thing. Fenway attendance was down 10% yoy last two years. In contrast yankee stadium attendance was up last year on their losing season. But I'm sure the reasons are complicated and not based completely on fan loyalty. Fenway is a fucking dump, that's a big one I'm sure. It's really a bad venue to watch a game.

Yeah I was just doing a thing. Fenway attendance was down 10% yoy last two years. In contrast yankee stadium attendance was up last year on their losing season. But I'm sure the reasons are complicated and not based completely on fan loyalty. Fenway is a fucking dump, that's a big one I'm sure. It's really a bad venue to watch a game.
The new Yankee stadium may not be as bad as Fenway but it’s not great.

Here are the ballparks that I’ve been to that are a better venue than Yankee Stadium to watch a game:

Truist Park (Braves)
Coors Field (Rockies)
LoanDepot (Marlins)
T-Mobile Park (Mariners)
Citi Field (Mets)
Dodger Stadium

The Yankees claiming they don't know precisely what Cole's MRI revealed is amusing

They know EXACTLY what the results are. They just don't want to turn there hand over face up.

Dylan Cease will be a Yankee soon

Yup. Said to wife, they'll sign an arm and THEN announce he's out for 2024. Give Cash the negotiating leverage that MAYBE they don't desperately need a free agent to save the season.

Meanwhile I get a daily call from the ticket office to see if I want season tickets.

Haven't had season tickets (20 game plan) since 2011. Two years ago I made the mistake of expressing interest (not buying) a half season plan probably in the 6,000/seat range (for either 2 or 4 seats - intention of reselling most).

Word on the street is Gerrit Cole will be pitching again in 10-12 weeks.

I wonder if that means he’ll make 1.5m per start instead of 1 million? :rolleyess:

Will he pitch in September? I wouldn’t bet on it.
I think there's a chance they try to get into the post season with only 10-15 starts out of him and then regular starts in the post season and surgery the day after they're done. This is only based on the (limited and likely "massaged") information they've put out.

I think there's a chance they try to get into the post season with only 10-15 starts out of him and then regular starts in the post season and surgery the day after they're done. This is only based on the (limited and likely "massaged") information they've put out.
I have no idea why they don’t go after Clevenger. (Outside of some offfield issues). He was pretty solid on the White Sox

I think since they're at the top level of luxury tax and with Soto a FA at the end of the season they're only going to do something that meaningfully translates to post season success. Does Clevenger make them better? Yes. But replacing Clarke Schmidt at the back end of the rotation isn't meaningfully do anything for their ultimate success. Could Clevenger be better than Cortes and make post season starts? Maybe. But for $10M + $11M (in tax) is that a gamble they want to take?

Sure, get them all. Get better at any spot at any time. And if they miss the wildcard I'll say you told me so with Clevenger. But honestly, even with Cole they're probably not beating the Astros (let alone the Dodgers or Atlanta). They need to get much better at 1, 2 and 3 (or 2 and 3 if Cole can pitch in Oct) if they're gonna have post season success. Maybe Clevenger is a 3... just don't know.