Movies discussion - 3/15/10

• Start date
  • Replies 65 Comments
  • Views 4,087 Views
watched Dolphin Cove tonight. I'm too tired to really write anything up about it, but it was funny, insightful, thrilling at times, and sad. If you like animals and hate corruption and enjoy snickering at asians, i'd recommend it

watched Dolphin Cove tonight. I'm too tired to really write anything up about it, but it was funny, insightful, thrilling at times, and sad. If you like animals and hate corruption and enjoy snickering at asians, i'd recommend it

:lmao:

I hope all the guests we have had this evening have enjoyed this spirited discussion of movies. I know I have. I almost wish I had the inclination to watch a couple just so I could opine.

Four Weddings and a Funeral was a pretty good movie, but hampered by the inclusion of the worst American actress of our time - Andie McDowell. She is sooooo terrible in that movie, but she's terrible and stiff and unnatural in everything she's ever been in.
:lmao:

yes, I had to look up the name, and as soon as I saw her picture I was like yes, that is the worst actress. I always wondered what the deal with her was.

pure nepotism, I guess.

also I'll add that Vince Vaughn should have stopped after Swingers. That actually was a good movie.

and I can't believe mudcat's got an archive of movies he rates on a 1-10 scale.

and finally, The Wrestler was a strong movie... agree with Bread on a few things here.

I like Vince Vaughn I just don't think he does a very good job selecting his movie roles. Loved him in Swingers, Zoolander and Old School. Although I didn't really care for Wedding Crashers, that is the perfect role for him and something he should always seek. He isn't diverse enough to pull off a serious role. After watching Couples Retreat, I am certain Jon Favreau should stop writing. Terrible, terrible movie.

Archie, I don't think I can watch Dolphin Cove. With me, it is better that I don't know the evil that exists when it comes to the slaughtering of animals. It doesn't make me angry, it depresses me.

I don't think Vaughn was in Zoolander (a classic comedy, btw)

I like Vince Vaughn I just don't think he does a very good job selecting his movie roles. Loved him in Swingers, Zoolander and Old School. Although I didn't really care for Wedding Crashers, that is the perfect role for him and something he should always seek. He isn't diverse enough to pull off a serious role. After watching Couples Retreat, I am certain Jon Favreau should stop writing. Terrible, terrible movie.

Archie, I don't think I can watch Dolphin Cove. With me, it is better that I don't know the evil that exists when it comes to the slaughtering of animals. It doesn't make me angry, it depresses me.

I hear ya, I love animals more than most humans, and dolphins are really pretty special creatures.

the results of this film has and should cause more changes to what is happening, as the film makers hired and A-team like all star group of people with special skills to get the first video, audio, and photographic evidence of what happens in this secret cove that is off limits to everyone and protected like a military base.

I definately got fired up in a good way, that they were finally able to expose these asianassholes

and I can't believe mudcat's got an archive of movies he rates on a 1-10 scale.

It is a huge site called imdb.com. (imdb = internet movie data base). Big honking site. It has loads of information on every movie (and TV show) and there are vast forums and the whole bit. You can store your own ratings for reference purposes and they also contribute to the general site ratings. (Actually the process of how exactly the site ratings are arrived at is a bit mysterious - but the result is pretty respectable.)

In any case, imdb is a must have for the movie buff IMO.

This thread made me curious what I rated Marley and Me. I remember I was definitely not as favorable as you folks and I see I gave it a 4 out of 10. Thumbs down.

I love animals but I just found it EXTREMELY OVER-THE-TOP manipulative. Like they were beating me over the head with a hammer saying We insist that you cry now! That funeral scene just went on and on with layer upon layer of contrived weepies being added.

I'm sure I did cry a bit. I am an animal lover (even if I liked Marley less than most dogs I have known). But I am more a fan of subtlety.

I have to chime in here now, because I just watched Where the Wild Things Are.

Wow, one of the very few 'perfect' movies that I have seen. I don't think that the movie they were trying to create could possibly have been done any better. I loved it. Powerful and really pretty brutal in it's lack of easy answers, or any answers for that matter. Growing up is hard.

OK well since Mr X liked it, I'll check it out.

That's the spirit, Bread.

Oh, and I forgot to mention: The voice-acting was incredible. So many non-live-action movies are ruined by hiring big names instead of talented voice-actors.

Almost forgot to mention, I thought Slumdog Millionaire sucked.