• Replies 65 Comments
  • Views 4,055 Views

Mudcat

yap
Since
Jan 27, 2010
Score
Tokens
Rented quite a few movies in the last week.

Where The Wild Things Are - I found this very effective. It made me feel something. I could strongly relate to the kid with the powerful imagination and the sensitivity. Just a bit draggy in parts but I give it a 7 out of 10. I'm sure it's not for everyone though.

The Damned United - Like fiveteamer, I thought this was very good. I am not a soccer fan and i was not familiar with the personalities but you don't need to be. The more I think about it, the more I like it. Solid 8 out of 10. I highly recommend it to the Gamelive crowd.

We Live In Public - This is a documentary about an oddball entrepreneur named Josh Harris who was at the leading edge of the internet evolution and went from rags to riches and back to rags. Maybe people here are familiar with him and saw some of the stuff he was doing when it happened (pseudo.com - some of the original reality shows with people living on camera 24/7). I had never heard of any of it. It was somewhat interesting but I'm not going to rave. 5 out of 10.

Four Weddings and a Funeral (1994) - It had been so long since I saw it that, other than a few particularly memorable bits, it was like watching it for the first time. I had no idea what was going to happen at the 4th wedding. Nice movie. 7 out of 10.

Slumdog Millionaire - My gf hadn't seen it so we rented it. When I first saw it, I liked it but was quite focused on some negatives like how conspicuously contrived it was in parts. Watching it again, I focused more on the strengths like the social commentary about the world these characters live in. It's a very good film. I changed my imdb rating from 7 to 8.

Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (2004) - I have it as the best of the Harry Potter movies (and imdb seems to agree). 8 out of 10 for me.

In summary, see The Damned United dammit.

Where the Wild Things are was entirely too boring for my taste. I get what Sean Penn was going for, but it just left me feeling flat. I did enjoy William (or was it John) Hurt's overacting in the street when he hears bad news of his son though. Hilarious.

Gamer - I enjoyed it, and I didn't think I would. Lots of eye candy for Robyn with Gerard Butler and the guy who plays Dexter. I usually hate any kind of futuristic action movies, but I liked the angle they went for. Think Running Man with a tad more violence. Some pretty cool depictions of a world gone mad.

Couple's Resort - Freaking dreadful. Newsflash: Vince Vaughn is not funny.

The Box - What the hell were Muddy and Amby talking about? This movie was all over the place and put me to sleep. They should've left it as a Twilight Zone feature and ended it after 15 minutes. Unreal.

Four Weddings and a Funeral was a pretty good movie, but hampered by the inclusion of the worst American actress of our time - Andie McDowell. She is sooooo terrible in that movie, but she's terrible and stiff and unnatural in everything she's ever been in.

Green Zone- Did not like it, at all..... but that may have been partly because we had to go into the theatre with about 90 secs left in the Illini/ohio state basketball game, and I had about 10 other bets pending. But I felt there was little to know character development, or insight into what really made the characters tick. The plot was super shallow, no twists, no suprises, no intrigue, just a very very very basic action flick. I think they rushed to get another Iraqi war movie in front of the cameras now that it is acceptable to do film on this subject area I guess. One of the worst films I've seen in the last year or two

Couple's Resort - Freaking dreadful. Newsflash: Vince Vaughn is not funny.

Vince Vaughn is not funny? Disagree. I find him pretty hilarious.

Did you not think Wedding Crashers was funny? Old School? Swingers?

That being said, Couple's Retreat looks terrible. I haven't bothered to watch it.

Lies and Illusions was so bad that it was funny! Cuba Gooding wonders how the hell did he sign up for this! Did Christian Slater forget how to act? Seeing a well known guy like act so bad made me not able to turn the channel! I guess train wrecks do catch your attention!

Wedding Crashers was not funny. Old School he had his moments. Hell he was the ONLY unfunny thing in Anchorman. That's saying something because that movie could do no wrong by me.

I bothered with Couple's Retreat because many of these types of comedies featuring this new group (Seth Rogan and his lot) have snuck up on me. Movies like Forgetting Sarah Marshall and Funny People...I paid no mind to after seeing the previews. Then when I saw them months later I was like...why the hell did I wait so long to see that? It was hilarious!!

Thought it might be another one of those. Nope.

If Chris Farley was still around....I wonder if people would still be finding him funny and going to his movies?

prob

people still go to keanu and costner films, and they aren't even gonna give ya some good ole slapstick kick in the balls funny haha's

Where the Wild Things are was entirely too boring for my taste. I get what Sean Penn was going for, but it just left me feeling flat. I did enjoy William (or was it John) Hurt's overacting in the street when he hears bad news of his son though. Hilarious.

You are clearly referring to Into The Wild. Not sure if you are doing it intentionally to be funny or if you are just in fact a lummox.

The Box - What the hell were Muddy and Amby talking about? This movie was all over the place and put me to sleep. They should've left it as a Twilight Zone feature and ended it after 15 minutes. Unreal.

I rated The Box 4 out of 10 and made that exact comment about the TZ approach being better. How am I taking flack here?

Lummox.

Four Weddings and a Funeral was a pretty good movie, but hampered by the inclusion of the worst American actress of our time - Andie McDowell. She is sooooo terrible in that movie, but she's terrible and stiff and unnatural in everything she's ever been in.

I can't disagree. The viability of Andie McDowell's career is a huge mystery.

LOL oops on me! Completely was thinking about wrong movie. I am a lummox. Muddy when you started talking about "I could strongly relate to the kid with the powerful imagination and the sensitivity." I thought you were talking about the goofball who goes up to Alaska to die alone. I could see you relating to such a thought.

My bad. Glad you enjoyed your movie about muppets though.

Well you're not wrong. I basically enjoyed Into The Wild. A quick check reveals I gave it a 7 out of 10.

I see it is currently ranked the #140 film of all time at imdb. That surprises me a bit.

Sean Penn using the same super powers that won him Best Actor over Mickey Rourke last year apparently...

The Box makes Bread think too hard...

Not really. It was retarded and tried way too hard to be deep.