Movies and TV

• Start date
  • Replies 13,729 Comments
  • Views 937,848 Views
I know what you're thinking.

You're wondering where I stand in my evaluation of the most recent Best Picture Oscar race (which was won by the Artist) now that my period of movie darkness has ended and I am finally getting caught up.

Okay. So here were the nominees:

War Horse
The Artist
Midnight in Paris
Moneyball
The Descendants
The Tree of Life
The Help
Hugo
Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close

Okay. So the one problem is I haven't seen Moneyball. I want to see it but I have looked for it but it's somehow not on my ON DEMAND service - and I don't know if there are still DVD rental places out there in the world, but there are none around here. So that is the big gap at this point.

I have not and will not see War Horse since I have heard very convincing testimony I will find it to suck. Same with Tree of Life. I also haven't seen Midnight in Paris. I am not as opposed to it as those others - maybe I'll get around to it at some point - but I don't have much use for Woody Allen and I am pretty positive I will not come away saying, that should have won.

Other than those, it is a pretty tight race at the top. Nothing is really outstanding. Here's what I've got of the contenders, along with ratings:

The Descendants - 7.4
The Artist - 7.3
Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close - 7.2
Hugo - 6.9
The Help - 5.9

Obviously need to see Moneyball though.

Midnight In Paris was eleventy billion times better than Hugo

IMO

The Descendants did not strike me as Best Picture nomination worthy. Not in the least. Tree of Life was fuckin putrid. It tried SO hard to be a Best Picture movie.

I guess that says a lot about what the industry is putting out these days. Nominating what wouldn't have even been in consideration in years past.

I agree it was a weak crop last year. And actually, the more I think about Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close, the more my rating dips.

I liked The Descendants and thought it was good - however it had very little wow factor. The Artist was good - plus it had novelty value up the wazoo. Maybe it was the right choice.

I don't know about the "years past" comment. Lots of weak nominees for as long as I remember. Quite a few weak winners frankly. You just hope someone hits a home run in the given year and the voters don't fuck it up.

Good news for me - Moneyball is on one of my channels tonight so I am taping it and will probably see it later this weekend.

WEEDS has gotten so bad. I think it was good/decent at some point. I think it was. I might be wrong.

It is the worst show, that I will still turn on and stare at, while it plays on some type of monitor, for 23 minutes.

I watched Weeds for awhile. I'm pretty sure I watched the entire 1st season and then part of a 2nd before realizing, "Wait a second, this is not good. :light:"

It seemed like it should be good but it wasn't.

That seems like a long time ago. Is that shit still going on? It must be season 10 by now or something.

Watched The Descendants on the train to Montreal yesterday.

It's a movie about family. The end.

5 Pretty Trite Matty Rains

Never had an interesr...not sure why...but gonna watch Brokebackback Mtn this wkn on my free month of Showtime.

Why was I never intrigued by this story?

Maybe I was never gay before.

Opinions on this film from those who have seen plz?

Watched the new Batman last night, didn't get killed. We were at a Drive In which was cool from a nostalgic standpoint, though I think with all the massive sounds/effects this movie has to offer an in theater viewing would have been the right call. Good, not even remotely close to the last one though.

7.5 Steviestars

Never had an interesr...not sure why...but gonna watch Brokebackback Mtn this wkn on my free month of Showtime.

Why was I never intrigued by this story?

Maybe I was never gay before.

Opinions on this film from those who have seen plz?

Keep some hand lotion and a box of tissues handy :greencheck:

Thanks Steves. Will do. Love the avatar. Been meaning to tell you that.

Recent viewings.

Lake Consequence....Billy Zane as a sexy tree trimmer driving all the rich married women crazy. What could go wrong? Everything. I loved it. 18.5 Matty Rains

The Deal....I wondered why this ever made my queueueue. Well obviously the write up of LL Cool J as a Judaism converted black action star. Little did I know it was just William H Macy in his most annoying role ever. Terrible terrible and no, not the type of terrible I love. Zero Fiver cancerous tumors.

Brokeback Mountain...made it 15 mins in til I inadvertently came all over myself looking at Heath Ledger and knowing that right NOW his cock smells weird. Will try again later. 187 Mudcat piano mans.

The Italian Job...Jeezus. Marky Mark, a suddenly hot (in my world) Charlieze Cheron(sp?), The sexy guy from The Transporter, Seth Green, Donald Sutherland, and Ed fuckin Norton...can't save this script. And I'm about sick and tired of these all star teams that steal jewels, kill aliens, fight covert wars, etc...always having That Computer Guy. You know, the guy who can hack into any program in the world to manipulate stop lights, cell phones, papal Outlook calendars, etc etc. Yawn. Fuck off The Italian Job. Yes, I'm looking at YOU Daffy and Mr Monkey. And Plommer too. Fuck the lot of ya. I got an Italian Job for ya. (thank you, thank you)

Rough Riders....some TV series I guess starring Tom Berengeur as some guy who meant something in American History. Tuned out after 10 mins, turned off after 46.

It's 12:12 folks. Do you know where YOUR kids are?

Charlize Theron always hot. 2 Days in the Valley I think is where she's particularly hot

Reno for some reason, she has never been on my radar. I'd see her and not know it was her. Then recently I watched The Burning Plain (excellent!!!) and now The Italian Job. She is a stunning, stunning organism. Wowie.

I thought Brokeback Mountain was pretty good. Slightly above average movie about relationships.

The year it came out it was actually the favorite to win Best Picture. I thought that was crazy. IMO people got overly uppity about it, puffing it up into more than it was. It's like people were suddenly shocked or amazed or strident about homosexuality and they treated the movie like it was revolutionary.

Personally, I had considered homosexuality such a routine part of things for so long that it didn't have that effect on me. I just saw it as another relationships movie. I didn't think there was anything insightful about homosexuality or intolerance in the presentation to warrant the "Oh wow," reaction it got.

But it was okay. A bit draggy. The acting was good.

I have no particular compulsion to see it again.

(And then they gave they Oscar to Crash. Ugh.)

Reno for some reason, she has never been on my radar. I'd see her and not know it was her. Then recently I watched The Burning Plain (excellent!!!) and now The Italian Job. She is a stunning, stunning organism. Wowie.

Afrikaner

I watched Weeds for awhile. I'm pretty sure I watched the entire 1st season and then part of a 2nd before realizing, "Wait a second, this is not good. :light:"

It seemed like it should be good but it wasn't.

It's awful. I watched all the years that are on netflix recently. They get progressively worse.