Motorcycling Thread for MrX, Matty, and I

• Start date
  • Replies 1,006 Comments
  • Views 60,703 Views
As mentioned before, I don't need or have full coverage, liability only.

As mentioned before, I don't need or have full coverage, liability only.

But you pay $1400 for just liability? Is this per year? Mine is like $96 per year.

Yes and yes. Ontario wants to force you onto a 125cc as a new rider, so they make the bigger bikes prohibitively expensive.

I'll be paying about the same thing for a 600cc supersport in a couple years.

BTW all you guys with cars need to STFU, the comparison isn't fair. I'd be paying a lot less if I could bundle a car premium with my bike insurance.

Got my winter gloves. They feel good and really warm.

Lesgo freeze our balls off. :depom:

It takes balls to go out there and freeze them.

Asshole.

I have 3 cars and 1 motorcycle on my name and still don't pay $1400 per year for all 4 vehicles (one is full coverage). Something doesn't seem right about Canada. Free healthcare but milk you on vehicle insurance.

I give up.

Plommer remind them how much they paid in insurance when they bought a '70 Mustang Boss V8 as their first car.

Yeah car/bike insurance in Toronto is expensive compared to anywhere else, especially so if you are a new driver. Insurance companies consider you a new driver if you haven't had continuous insurance coverage for x amount of years.

The insurance companies there have ways of making you pay.

I've been insured in 3 Canadian provinces - Ontario (private insurance) - Saskatchewan and British Columbia - gov't insurance.
The government run system in Sask/BC are/were much cheaper for premiums than the private system in Ontario.
Much easier to get a quote and coverage in the govt run systems as well.

It's still just baffling. Liability? It's not that easy to fuck up other people and their property with your motorcycle. You generally just fuck yourself up.

Yeah. I dunno. I know that the premium I pay means I can't get sued by anyone for damage to them or their property. My insurer pays it all.

Look like your cheap-ass US insurance doesn't actually protect you from much.

Yeah. I dunno. I know that the premium I pay means I can't get sued by anyone for damage to them or their property. My insurer pays it all.

Look like your cheap-ass US insurance doesn't actually protect you from much.

Er, what? What do you think my insurance does? It does exactly what you said. That's what insurance is.

There's clearly something else going on with the kind of premium you're talking about. There's no way an average first-year driver is expected to cause anywhere in the neighborhood of $1000 in damage to others.

Not trying to be argumentative, here, just curious where the difference comes from. Is vehicle insurance a private enterprise in Canada?

http://www.dmv.org/co-colorado/car-insurance.php

Until 2003, Colorado was a “no-fault” state, but changed the law in order to help reduce the cost of insurance premiums and help prevent claims abuses.

Colorado car insurance now operates as a tort system, meaning that fault must be established before an insurance company will pay a claim.

Required Car Insurance
Colorado drivers must have liability insurance, which covers only the other car and/or driver when an accident is your fault.

Colorado drivers must have liability coverage at the following minimums:

$25,000 per person for bodily injury.
$50,000 per accident for bodily injury.
$15,000 per accident for property damage.

All other car insurance is optional.

http://www.fsco.gov.on.ca/en/auto/brochures/Pages/brochure_autoins.aspx#six

What's in a Standard Auto Insurance Policy?

If you own a vehicle in Ontario, you are required to, at the very least, purchase the following automobile insurance coverage:

Third-Party Liability Coverage:​
This section of your automobile insurance policy protects you if someone else is killed or injured, or their property is damaged. It will pay for claims as a result of lawsuits against you up to the limit of your coverage, and will pay the costs of settling the claims. By law you must carry a minimum of $200,000 in Third-Party Liability coverage.

Statutory Accident Benefits Coverage:​
This section of your automobile insurance policy provides you with benefits if you are injured in an automobile accident, regardless of who caused the accident including supplementary medical, rehabilitation, attendant care, caregiver, non-earner and income replacement benefits.

Direct Compensation - Property Damage (DC-PD) Coverage:​
This section of your automobile insurance policy covers damage to your vehicle or its contents, and for loss of use of your vehicle or its contents, to the extent that another person was at fault for the accident. It is called direct compensation because even though someone else causes the damage, you collect directly from your own insurer, instead of the person who caused the damage.

Note: Coverage under the DC-PD section of your automobile insurance policy only applies if the following conditions are met:

the accident took place in Ontario;
there was at least one other vehicle involved in the accident; and
at least one of the other vehicles is also insured by an insurance company that is licensed in Ontario or has signed a special agreement with FSCO to provide this coverage.
If these conditions are not met, then you can make a claim on your optional Collision coverage (if you have it), whether or not you are at fault. If you don't have Collision coverage, you may be able to pursue recovery from the at-fault driver to the extent you were not-at-fault for the accident.

Uninsured Automobile Coverage:​
Protects you and your family if you are injured or killed by a hit-and-run driver or by an uninsured motorist. It also covers damage to your vehicle caused by an identified uninsured driver.​

MrX
There's no way an average first-year driver is expected to cause anywhere in the neighborhood of $1000 in damage to others.

Er, what?

What about law suits for causing personal injury?

1-800-call-sam-bernsteinjpg-44d03ca0122a239f_large.jpg

I once put a small dent in the rear plastic bumber of a rental Buick. That was a $1400 claim.

Well that's more than liability, then.

Er, what?

What about law suits for causing personal injury?

1-800-call-sam-bernsteinjpg-44d03ca0122a239f_large.jpg

I once put a small dent in the rear plastic bumber of a rental Buick. That was a $1400 claim.

What don't you guys understand about averages? Yes, a motorcycle rider can cause a bunch of damage. No, the average motorcycle rider won't be causing $1000 a year in damage. No freaking way.

Matty, if you are ever bored and want to talk bikes with someone, call Geico.

I just got off of an hour long call to find out more info about my coverage. Guy was chewing my ear off like we were old buds. He was in some kind of marine biker gang in Virgina Beach..

Also remember that red scooter I used to have? The one you rode bitch on?

I totally forgot I had that thing insured for 2 years. Brought my price way down.

Roughly $600 for one of the super sports we discussed

OR

$350 for a Kawi 650r/ Suzuki 650/ Ducati Monster.. Which the guy recommends that I guess :dunno:

Gonna start looking for one of those I guess. What do you think?