Motorcycling Thread for MrX, Matty, and I

• Start date
  • Replies 1,006 Comments
  • Views 60,754 Views
You could go for either the supersport or the standard sport bikes. People steer newbies away from the 600cc supersports, but I don't think that reasoning applies to everyone. You've driven performance cars before and most likely know what to expect out of a 400lb bike that develops over 100 horses.

Buy the bike you want and learn how to ride it, is my advice. Sit on all of them and try to figure out what riding position you like best. This is the most important factor.

You're a lucky bastard in that you can ride a big bike for not much money at all.

Eff you.

(I would steer you away from the Ducati, just cause it's no better than similar Japanese bikes that cost half as much, but again, buy what you like.)

MrX - I went for a spirited 30-min ride around town with my new gloves this morning. It was below freezing (-3/-2C) and my hands stayed warm. I don't think they would hold up well on long rides at highway speeds, but I'm impressed with being able to ride in total comfort around town. They look good too - like slightly puffier versions of regular gauntlets. Good $100 spent.

They run a bit small - I'm typically between a L and an XL and the XL fit snugly.

Thermosport_sm.jpg

http://www.britishmotorcyclegear.com/thermosport-gloves.asp

(I would steer you away from the Ducati, just cause it's no better than similar Japanese bikes that cost half as much, but again, buy what you like.)

I am trying to be economical about this whole thing at first, which is why I prefer the cheaper insurance. The guy was trying to steer me away from the performance/power of those bikes, he was just trying to get me a good deal coverage wise and recommending the type of bikes that will still be similar to those other ones.

I still don't get it entirely, but a Ninja 650r for around 2-3k with $350 coverage seems like best bet.

Does that make sense or..?

It does. Ninjas are very good. Never been on a 650 but I've been on the 250, the 400 and the 500 and they all feel and handle really well.

You will outgrow the 650 in a couple seasons, but it's certainly a great place to start.

(You may be confused by the fact that the 650 class is slower than the 600 - the 650's are detuned versions of their 600cc supersport counterparts. They also have an upright riding position vs. the strong forward lean on a 600cc SS.

See www.cycle-ergo.com for the riding position of every bike.

Ninja 650
BSTVNPv.png

ZX-6R
OEPVmez.png

Last edited:
Damn how were able to ride all those bikes? All test drives?

Those images aren't coming up on phone. I'll check laptop when I get home.

There were a dozen different bikes at the safety course, then I helped two friends buy their first bike after I got mine. I got to test-drive a whole lot. My bro and dad also ride, and I have so many neighbours in my building who ride. I got to sit on fancy exotics like the Aprilia RSV4 and a 1200cc Ducati Monster.

I hate the strong forward lean, it feels like you're going to fall over and in front of the bike.

WV3e0MD.png

Last edited:
Nice. We just had shitty 250 Suzukis at our class.

None of the images are working.

Images should be showing up now.

MrX - I went for a spirited 30-min ride around town with my new gloves this morning. It was below freezing (-3/-2C) and my hands stayed warm. I don't think they would hold up well on long rides at highway speeds, but I'm impressed with being able to ride in total comfort around town. They look good too - like slightly puffier versions of regular gauntlets. Good $100 spent.

They run a bit small - I'm typically between a L and an XL and the XL fit snugly.

Thermosport_sm.jpg

http://www.britishmotorcyclegear.com/thermosport-gloves.asp

Good report. I'm picking up a pair.

:thumbsup:

Blitty why don't you go to a dealer that sells used bikes so you can see and sit on as many as you can to see how it feels and then narrow it down to start looking for bikes on craiglist. It will save you time and unnecessary trips.

That's a great idea. I'll look into local dealers.

Muchos Gracias senor saulty :cheers:

Looks good. Note that the guy lowered the handlebars - the riding position might be awkward, since the footpegs are still in the original, more forward position.

Looks good. Note that the guy lowered the handlebars - the riding position might be awkward, since the footpegs are still in the original, more forward position.

Fok.

It might not make much of a difference. Looking at the 650R and the ZX-6R, the main difference in the footpegs' location is the height - ZX-6R is higher and just a wee bit farther back.

That bike is worth looking at for sure. Seems like a good price.

For reference:

650R
w6oj3g1vja_14_ninja_650_abs_grn_d.jpg

ZX-6R
w6oj3g1vja_14_ninja_zx_6r_abs_lim_d.jpg

Dem sexy beasts right durr.