More thoughts on jobs and working

• Start date
  • Replies 3,706 Comments
  • Views 296,271 Views
Very good progress being made on my hobby project, the novel.

That was the main goal for the week and so far, yap.

It's been a few years with the novel Muddy, about how far along to completing it would you say you're at right now?

Very hard to say. Well past half for sure.

64%, I'll say.

If I keep going like this last month I should be done this year. But then there are periods - such as 4th quarter of last year - where work sucks all the life out of me and I lose all momentum.

It will get done. That I guarantee. I do finish things.

Mid-2020 is probably the smart bet.

Here's what I forget to do when I'm on vacation though: eat.

I mean, I don't forget dinner. I have been having super deluxe dinners. Steaks, chicken wings. I had a cottage roll yesterday which was a spiritual experience (and I have leftovers of that for tomorrow). Breakfast for dinner tonight: bacon, eggs, a bunch of them fat-soaked potatoes. I enjoy that.

But during the day, I don't think of it. It's 2:30 and I'm wondering why I'm so hungry and it's like, oh yeah, I haven't eaten anything. At all. That could have something to do with it.

Life is complicated.

I like it though, what I am doing with my Paid Time Off.

I get 16 days and last year I took 3 regular weeks off - at 5 days a pop - spread thru the year. And then there was that other day for whenever.

This year though, I think I'm going to target weeks where there is a stat holiday - and make full weeks out of them using 4 days of PTO at a pop. So I'll have 4 full weeks off.

That feels better to me.

I'm getting worried about Maria. She is the cute, curvy Uruguayan chicky-poo at work that I have a crush on.

I don't think she is going to make it. She is having some pretty serious performance issues and is showing no sign of getting it under control.

They got pretty high standards there. People get let go for performance issues on a pretty regular basis. They don't just keep people around for charity.

Poor Maria. She's adorable but she really is a ditz.

I got my Top Dog swag.

I skipped the dinner which was a big deal to some. They loaded everyone in a big limo and took them downtown to the Copa.

Sounds like they had a time.

Anyway I got my jacket. It's pretty decent-respectable.

They also gave me a plaque. I find that slightly odd. Like my name is on the plaque at work and I like that, but who is going to put up their own plaque in their home?

I don't know. Nice gesture though, I guess.

Her name is Lola, she was a showgirl
But that was thirty years ago, when they used to have a show
Now it's a disco, but not for Lola
Still in dress she used to wear
Faded feathers in her hair
She sits there so refined, and drinks herself half-blind
She lost her youth and she lost her Tony
Now she's lost her mind
At the copa Copacabana (Copacabana)
The hottest spot north of Havana
At the copa Copacabana
Music and passion were always in fashion
At the copa don't fall in love

I heard that Brazil is south of Havana

More girth than China

I guess I will just chuck it, this plaque. Seems a shame. They went and made this thing and presented it to me - just to be immediately chucked.

But what am I going to do? Mount a plaque with my 2018 Top Dog stats on my living room wall? Stick it in a cupboard to take up space and collect dust forever?

No, it gets chucked. I don't like waste but - chucked. I wish they had asked me if I want it.

It's like the vase commemorating 5 billion in sales that looked like a big fucking beaker all over again.