More thoughts on jobs and working

• Start date
  • Replies 3,706 Comments
  • Views 299,107 Views
Idk man I'm still overweight but I found this cool hair stylist and was just like make me look cool but not trying to look cool and give me the
right hair wax. She toadally NAILED IT. Like seriously man when my hair dries I can run my hands through it and it looks chill, and I'm not even a female.

Just sayin, hair is important to some people, Muddster.

Well it happened. I got the offer. It's amazing.

All my life I have heard about these incredible warehousing jobs and wondered who gets those jobs.

Are they real or are they actually unicorns, those jobs?

Well ----> me.

It's life-changing. Maybe that's overly dramatic but given the package combined with my (crappy) situation vis a vis retirement, I'm going to stick with that adjective.

Life-changing.

Having the offer outlined was like a weird dream where you keep finding money. First, there's the hourly pay. Yes! Then there's one regular bonus. Then another. Then there is profit sharing which comes out right before Christmas. I am so used to working for companies that maybe give you a $50 Walmart giftcard or something at Xmas. Well at my new place, last year's profit-sharing was $3600 per employee ---> this year, apparently 4 grand is looking realistic.

Unbeatable benefits on top. Everything.

And I got day shift. That's what I wanted. I was ready to pay some dues on 2nd shift but nope - straight to days.

Fokken sweetness.

Yay! Congrats! I hope the job doesn't suck.

This is not an unreasonable thought.

I actually have a pretty clear idea not only of what I will be doing when I start, but where I will progress if things go normally. It's a little more drudgery than I am used to. It is a big operation so roles tend to be more pigeon-holed as opposed to the wider variety of things I am used to doing.

I like variety - but this will not be bad.

Glad to hear it, Muddy!!

How long will it take him to bitch about a fat employee, bad rule, etc?

I'll give it 10.5 days.

How long will it take for a coworker to bitch about him?

i'm thinking 4.5 hours.

I don't agree, everyone seems to like Muddy at his employers. Only we know what a judgmental monster he really is.

Yap, thanks for the congratulations all y'all.

I learned another little downside to the new job. While they do provide uniforms, we are expected to keep them clean and tidy. No problem with that at all, but apparently we are expected to keep our shirts tucked in at all times while working.

I am not a tucker.

Prolly not a deal-breaker though.

Last edited:
Tats too. They don't want tats.

Anti-tat, these people, apparently.

Guy asked me about it during the phone call where I got the offer. Said if I had tats they needed to be kept covered. I guess if I had a bunch of really noticeable ones - like a sleeve or a big tat on my neck or something - I wouldn't have made it thru the selection process.

They would have said, "Naw, let's just give it a miss, this guy."

But he asked me if I had any tats and I said, "No, I find tats ridiculous and the very most attractive tat I have ever seen was still completely hideous. So no tats for me."

No, I didn't say that. I just said the truth with is I have zero tats. Good enough.

A slightly uptight atmosphere, where I'm going, seems like.

But I'm going with it.

I know what you're thinking though. You're thinking Muddy, do you have a huge crapload of paperwork to sort through and fill out and otherwise deal with before your first day?

Yes.

Can't believe companies still screen for tats.