Guitar players

• Start date
  • Replies 113 Comments
  • Views 4,803 Views
I can't believe this discussion was more than 2 years ago. Well, I intend to go to the guitar store after work tomorrow and pull the trigger. I have printed off the key parts of this discussion for reference. The next phase will soon begin.

Making the magic happen.

The Taylor I bought has brought me nothing but pure joy for under $1,000 I absolutely love it

Though now I cannot play my Ibanez, sounds like garbage

Mission accomplished. I have the goods.

Now to see if I can play it at all . . .

Oh man, this is fun.

It is a Fender Stratocaster. I feel like there should be more identifying numbers/letters after that but I'm not seeing much other than a serial number. So I guess Stratocaster is it?? It has the humbucking pickups like you suggested.

I got a fairly cheap amp for now. It's a Fender Mustang I. I'm not sure what role the amp is going to play since I will be mostly playing through my recording software (I think). I am having fun with it (the amp) though. Just farting around this evening, playing with knobs and buttons. I'll probably start getting more serious and formal in my learning starting tomorrow.

But then again I just found the perfect sound for a riff I have had in my head for a year or so that has just been waiting for an electric guitar. So I may get straight to work on that. There are no rules.

I don't know if I can somehow save all the settings or I need to write them all down but this sound is just right. I guess they can probably be saved. There is a save button there. Maybe that would save things. I don't know.

Beware - yahoo on the loose!

I'm not actually what I would call good at it yet. I sometimes make the guitar sound out of tune, I guess by the way I am pressing my fingers on the chords?? I just need practice. I figure I have to play for at least half an hour EVERY SINGLE DAY. That may not sound like a lot but the problem is I have other stuff for this project that I also need to do for at least half an hour every day too. Lots to do but it's going to be great. It was already going to be great but now I see it's going to be beyond.

Scuse me. Little excited here.

Congrats... I found this site today looking around for a list of 5 - string banjo scales... It seems like it has a lot of great info in one place.

http://musicopedia.com/

Looks good. Seems like something I will need in the future.

Man I'm just inspired right now though. I have written a guitar section for a whole new song. It's just the kind of joyful raunch I have been needing.

I like the my kids guitars. You don't need to know how to play it. You just press different buttons and it plays music. :grabsome:

Wowsers... Lookie this guy!!! Kinda like the White Stripes but there's only one of him!

So recently I purchased a banjitar...To those of you who do not know what that is...in short, it is a banjo that has a guitar neck and 6 strings; ie Banjitar.
When I saw one of these banjitars for the first time I always thought about getting one and thanks to Kijiji, I now have one..
The problem was that when i first got this banjitar, I quickly realized that it was actually unplayable...Turns out it is a cheap Chinese thing. Now I'm sure the guy I got it from thought the same thing..that's why i got it for $175 with a hard shell case... BUT AS IT TURNS OUT >>>>

In reality, no one had ever made any effort at all to set it up at all before it left the 'factory'. For a start, all of the tuners were loose and the banjo skin had 0 tension on it. So what this means is that none of the sound from the strings or the saddle (which sits on the skin) were transmitting any sound at all to the ring or the resonator...The action was so high on it because the neck had never been adjusted either.

Since I got this thing I have tightened all of the tuners; adjusted the neck/action; tightened the drum skin and today I bought this thing called Moongel Pad that is used to dampen the sound of a drum. I put one on it and BINGO...now the thing is starting to sound a lot better... The moral of the story here is just because an instrument is not worth a lot of money with a bit of knowledge and effort you can have something that you can enjoy without spending a ton of cash.

I wish I was as good of a guitar player as I am on the 5 string banjo...Now it's time to keep practicing both.

Quincy, would love to see a video of you strumming your "banjitar" while on this:

13612hj_20.jpeg

Quincy, you seem to buy alot of "stuff".

I bet you know this guy:

schticky5.png

Ololol... I do indeed buy stuff... I usually have a list of stuff that im looking for... Thanks to Kijiji no one should pay full price for anything anymore..

I am learning more about Guitar pickups ;I think I am going to build my own 3 string electric/acoustic cigar box guitar this year...Pickups included....This is the link to a site that seems to have some interesting information on, among other things... Electric guitars.... things like how they are wired and how pickups work...

http://www.1728.org/indexfun.htm

humbckr7.gif

Also check out this site if you want to see some very neat homemade stringed instruments.

http://www.cigarboxnation.com/

1884-art3-633x475.jpg