Guitar players

• Start date
  • Replies 113 Comments
  • Views 4,822 Views
Then get a Line 6 POD and a good pair of headphones.

If you really want a proper amp the Roland Cube series is ultra-cheap and highly-rated, though I wouldn't recommend them for classic/crunchy type rock. They're very clean sounding and the built-in distortion is crappy.

why headphones w/ the line 6
defeats the purpose IMO

The POD series is an amp simulator. No speaker.

I've never played their amps so I dunno, but when I went to B.L.U.E.S in Chicago last year this lead guitarist was using a Line 6 amp and it sounded like overprocessed shit. Their amp simulators sound good though for bedroom playing with headphones on.

We need to make a GameLive world map and each put a thumb tack in it so any time we travel, we can just check the map to see if anyone from GL lives close by. Now I feel bad that I didn't get free lobster and beer. :guitar:

No pal, you should fukkin know that Pucky is in Halifax - there is no excuse.

Everyone here knows you split your time between Toronto/Ottawa.

I agree with matty about line 6 stuff but there is nothing in the world like the options you can get with recording on your computer. a couple hundred bucks on a line 6 ux2, plug your guitar into ux2 and the ux2 into your computer and you bring up the line 6 pod farm software that comes with the ux2 and you have tons of effects, different amp styles at your fingertips. You bring up garageband or pro tools or sound forge or acid and record straight into your computer. I know some people dont like the digital effects but its so simple and so inexpensive and the variety of effects,stomp boxes,amp models and sounds you get to mess around with is phenomenal , even if you dont care about recording

I have tons of effects and multi effects like korg toneworks and I have that line 6 matty mentioned as well but digital recording is so easy and tons of more variety of effects and amp models. I still use some wah wah pedals and other pedals but line 6 ux2 and the options like the vintage amp models you have on pod farm are phenomenal. I rarely even use my stomp boxes and my other stuff anymore, once you use pod farm and record into computer you will be amazed at the sounds you get, a whole new world of recording and incredibly simple and inexpensive to set up.

You dont have to be some recording engineer or know anything at all really to figure out settings and the amp sound you want, with the presets they have on there, you just just plug in and start exploring, takes months to explore all the options, its so simple to get started.

stones fuzz effects and amps, ac dc,floyd type echoes,country presets,metal,fuzz, early elvis scotty moore type settings and amps tremolo and surf sounds, vintage marshall and leslie amps, wah wah,clean acoustic amps and sounds , jazz amps. you name it, its on pod farm. Just choose the sound you are looking for int he presets and start playing

podfarm3.jpg

gary_moore_rock.jpg

PodFarm.jpg

PODStudioUX2ang12A6F6-3e3dbd472dfb59fb6e388f55553fd15f.jpg

L6-PODSTUX2-2.jpg

Pod_Farm_Settings.png

Last edited:
all these effects, settings, flanger, chorus, tremelo, etc... make me remember why I learned to play drums orginally :mmike:

distortion, overdrive, reverb I remember from our teenage band days on friends Marshall amp.
gain and delay rings a bell also.

flanger? no idea
chorus assume resembles slight echo?
tremelo??? though that was bending strings or wiggling the bar on pickup ?

is there a book out for a dummies guide to the hobbist that just wanna make some cool sounds while only able to play most open chords?
gimmie drop D and decent amp we'll be content w/ the 5/7/9/12 frets :guitar:

I like my little Vox 3; It runs on batteries as well and can double as a portable speaker via the separate input jack.(Also good for playing over a song you are trying to learn). Tons of great sounding amp models built in and just loud enough to use for busking or a little jam session. It was only about $100. You basically pick the brand of amplifier you want and buy the biggest modelling amp you can afford or need. If you are jamming alone, headphones are all you need not a huge speaker.

http://www.voxamps.com/mini3/mini3/

lg_mini3_front.jpg

lg_mini3_top.jpg

Ima have to try that MrQ. Right now all I use is Guitar Rig through a laptop, I could use a tiny amp for the apt. :guitar:

DSC01432.JPG

Did you look at any of the antique banjos on that website Matty? I love all the hand made stuff. I am going to list the antique tuning pegs and the tail piece today. I'll post the link to the auction. I'm hoping to get at least $325 for the parts.

Dunno anything about banjos I'm afraid. These look like finely handcrafted parts.

Dunno anything about banjos I'm afraid. These look like finely handcrafted parts.

These were made in Boston between 1885-1890; I had to research them and found out they are made of an antique plastic they called 'ivorium' . Was made to replace ivory. They are very rare because they would break or get lost because they were never really attached to the banjo. Anyone who collects these types of banjos are looking for a set like this to complete their antique instrument. I hope to see a bidding war.

you dont need to know anything about effects senco to use pod farm, you just use the drop down menu and find a style or an artist you like and it sets up the amps and effects automatically. you want a hendrix sound it just sets up the amp and effects, a sci fi or surf rock sound, it sets up the effects and the amps. just hit blues or clean jazz sound and it sets it all up.

You really should check it out in a music store, it is so easy to set up and use and you get countless more stuff to use than you would having to buy all the effects plus get to try out vintage amps, at least digital imitations of tons of vintage amps but the sound quality has improved immensely

there are beatles sounds, early elvis and rockabilly set ups,U2,british metal, tons of 60s british amps and 50s amps, 70s funk set ups.say you wanted a gary moore sound just tap on it on the drop down menu and it sets up everything automatically.

gary_moore_rock.jpg

say you wanted stones fuzz sound , just hit the preset from the drop down menu it sets up the amps and effects without you having to do anything really but start playing

PodFarm.jpg

i cant play a guitar

headphones through amp just doesnt float my boat
this partridge family cranks it to 11.5 , walls need to feel the vibration of goodness flowing through the atmosphere

Then you want a Fender Twin or a Marshall head and at least a 2x12" cab. Nothing else comes close in terms of tone and response to your touch. Cheaper solid-state amplifiers tend to sound dead in a room.

If you refuse to go the headphone route, the amp is lot a more important than anything else in your signal chain.

You can get 95% there with a POD and a powered cabinet. But a real tube amp is a treat.

will be on lookout for a used Fender Twin then.
put new strings on acoustic other day since bought it.
the improvement of the sound is ridiculous

Last edited: