• Replies 113 Comments
  • Views 4,784 Views

Mudcat

yap
Since
Jan 27, 2010
Score
Tokens
I know Matt Rain is one but I don't know who else. Here's the situation I want to ask about.

I have played guitar for about 35 years. For most of that, a 12-string acoustic has been my main guitar. As a result, I have become mainly a strummer and not much a picker.

I have only ever held an electric in my hands maybe 2-3 times in my life.

I am embarking on a musical project that will definitely require electric guitar. I would like to be able to do a few different sounds and effects. I will also want to throw in a few leads. I have no illusions that I will become Carlos Santana, but I envision more melodic patient leads like David Gilmour does at times to such good effect.

Basically what I am wondering is if guys here play electric. Have you always played it or did you pick it up after playing acoustic for a long time? Was it hard? Do you have recommendations in terms of approach or equipment?

have a couple acoustic guitars, and have played very very badly since I was 18.... i'm literally at the same level that I was at age 19 prob. never took lessons, never learned to really read music..... but I know enough to enjoy playing for my own purposes. Got an electric as a present from a friend in college, she got it from a garage sale for 50 bucks. I only play it 3-4 times a year. never really liked it.... although that is more because it is crappy and the amp is crappy...... it doesn't seem much different, and you just naturally adjust your strumming/picking to the sound within a few mins of fiddling around.

all this to say I have nothing meaningful to contribute in the way of an answer. good luck though

I've played drums since a young age but like Archie, still at about the same level I was at at age 18. basically quit playing except just screwing around and teaching my son some basics.
Just recently picked up a guitar and have been learning some chords.
Been trying to learn to play , " Last Kiss" since its the first vid that popped up on youtube under "easy songs to play on gutair"
but the B to D transition is a bitch.

but every gutair player I've ever played with learned on acoustic and moved to the electric.

played acoustic first. Feel the electric is the easiest to play. Never played 12 string. That seems difficult.

Shit Muddy, I could write a 200-page guide on this. I'm in the opposite camp, having played electric guitar exclusively for the last 2 decades. Actually bought my first acoustic 2 weeks ago to give lessons to a friend. Anyhoo, I'll give you the same pointers I gave to my acoustic-playing Dad when he tried to switch over to the electric realm:

-Pay attention to the neck width at the nut; electric guitars are narrower and some of them will not be comfortable to you when playing open chords. There is a ton of variety in that dept., even across the same model (Stratocasters in particular are all over the place)
-Scale length - acoustics are 25.5", as are most Fenders, while most Gibsons are a shorter 24.75". A shorter scale means less string tension for a given pitch and string gauge - you might not be able to play a shorter-scale guitar in tune if you're used to clamping an acoustic neck with its much stiffer strings. YMMV
-To summon your inner Carlos Santana, you'll want something with at least one humbucking pickup, which is a big part of that sweet singing tone. Fender guitars sporting only single-coil pickups tend to have more high-end bite and a bit less sustain, although it's possible to adjust your playing technique and amp settings to dial just about any tone you might be after, regardless of the instrument.

Given what I know, which is that you already own a cowboy hat, I would tend to steer you towards a Telecaster with humbucking pickups... something like this:

0137402321_md.jpg

-Amp- and effects- wise, things can get overwhelming. All I use these days is a piece of software called Guitar Rig. You may or may not like fiddling with your computer to play guitar - I'm thinking not. In that case, consider buying a small all-tube combo amplifier like a Fender Blues Jr. and some kind of multi-effects floor unit like a Line6 POD or a Boss GT-x (both these product lines are solid and choosing one over the other is a matter of aural preference).

-Musicianship-wise, you'll want to expand on your vocabulary and muscle memory by learning the whole fretboard. Depending on your habits and playing style, this could simply mean extending the pentatonic blues boxes you may or may not be familiar with beyond the first 12 frets. Every position has a different feel and tone to them on an electric and playing higher on the neck allows for more acrobatic chord voicings and faster scalar runs.

-Learn to bend in tune by playing "pedal-steel" bends (say, hold the E on the 2nd string's 5th fret with your index and bend the D on the 3rd string's 7th fret with your middle and ring fingers until it matches your pedal note)

-Vibrato is also an essential tool, especially when bending. Technique is mostly personal - I would recommend checking out Youtube for examples and ideas, either by watching your favorite axemen wiggle the shit out of their instrument or by checking out some lessons that are all over the 'Tube.

This should be enough to get you started. If you have further questions, feel free to ask away.

LES DO THIS!
headbanger.gif

Good advice by Matty.

I am an acoustic guitar guy as well. Used to play electric, but I'm a singer/songwriter at heart so the acoustic platform always made more sense for me.

Maybe if I get brave I will make a vid of a song or something. I have near 500 by now. Mostly rock/alt style. Nothing too complicated.

Cougar, when are you gonna make us a video with a musical performance?

yes, we want one.
put neck out there. might be your big break

Okay, I will post one Saturday.

Now I have to pick something that isn't too gay.

That will be the hard part.

are we going to get the gameville band together? Who plays the bass and drums. I'm sure bread can sing.

Thanks for the write-up Matt Rain. Parts of it feel like you are speaking a different language but I get the general idea and I will remember this thread for harkening back purposes.

I think a key thing for me will be some kind of lessons. Not necessarily from some stuffy instructor but to get together with someone who plays and get some starting tips. That was how I learned to play acoustic way back when.

You may remember me talking about cheap guy that I watch the Super Bowl with. He in fact plays electric guitar in a band. Maybe I can enlist him. Hell maybe I can just get him to play for my project and I don't even have to worry about learning for myself and buying any equipment.

You may or may not like fiddling with your computer to play guitar - I'm thinking not.

That made me LOL. My boobery is famous.

Actually though, how I am going to record my multi-track project when I get to that point is a whole other big question (which I will leave till quite a bit later).

Parts of it feel like you are speaking a different language

Well tabarnak.

I guess my point is that you can lessen the learning curve considerably by choosing the simplest equipment you can find. That means a guitar with ergonomics that aren't too far off what you're used to, an amp with no more than half a dozen knobs and a bunch of effects integrated into a single unit so you don't have to waste time with technicalities, of which there are many when you start collecting and chaining up effect pedals.

I hope you try it and don't get discouraged - IMO the electric guitar is the ultimate music-producing tool.

Question to long time guitar players.

Did you smash at least one?

I'm thinking it would be impossible not to in the long run. The perfect build for the perfect smash.

A dangling mass of splintered wood, held together by useless strings. It had to come to that.

Well tabarnak.

I guess my point is that you can lessen the learning curve considerably by choosing the simplest equipment you can find. That means a guitar with ergonomics that aren't too far off what you're used to, an amp with no more than half a dozen knobs and a bunch of effects integrated into a single unit so you don't have to waste time with technicalities, of which there are many when you start collecting and chaining up effect pedals.

I hope you try it and don't get discouraged - IMO the electric guitar is the ultimate music-producing tool.

No, what you said was great. I'll just take it one step at a time. Start with a guitar and amp. I will probably print off what you have said when I go to the store.

Your idea of lessons on the Tube will probably come into play. In the early 90's when I was recording and pitching music to the country market, I learned to play banjo mainly through some cassettes which would be the equivalent of YouTube lessons at that time. I did not get into Flatt and Scruggs-type proficiency but I got good enough to add banjo tracks to a couple recordings that I was fairly proud of.

There is hope.

are we going to get the gameville band together? Who plays the bass and drums. I'm sure bread can sing.

Reno knows what is up. I'm sure if we put our skills together with the use of modern technology, we can come up with something like this!!

[video=vimeo;2539741]http://vimeo.com/2539741[/video]

Matty on electric guitar.

Muddy on keyboard.

Pavy on go kart.

Robyn can sing.

Mmike on drums.

CougarBait on bass.

Archie can bring some kids from the neighborhood for backup vocals.

Roguey can head up the security team.

I LIKE IT!!