Guitar players

• Start date
  • Replies 113 Comments
  • Views 4,819 Views
Sure feels weird to pick up the 12-string after fighting with the electric for a few days straight though.

It is deceptively light and omygawd there are so many strings spread over such a vast expanse.

Does it have better timing?

Yes it surely does. I can't time something wrong on the 12-string if my life depends on it.

Did your buddy sell the Les Paul?

I miss having all the time in the world to fok around on a cheap Strat. Calluses are completely gone. :sad:

Not sure about that. The date Dec. 17th stands out in my mind as something?? End date of the auction maybe?? Maybe my wires are all crossed and it's nothing.

I'll ask.

what is the purpose of a 12 string? is it for mostly chords? what does the second string do?

Yes it is mainly a strumming instrument. All them strings produce a richer fuller sound (you know, theoretically, depending on who's playing it).

I bought an antique banjo when I was in Halifax. While researching it, I came across this site. I encourage you to check out the workmanship on some of these instruments... This is just one example. Now it's all just made in China.

http://www.billsbanjos.com/index.html

bassbanjo_1.jpg

bassbanjo_2.jpg

bassbanjo_6.jpg

bassbanjo_4.jpg

bassbanjo_7.jpg

what? China can't have any workmanship? :grin:

I had to check where my banjo is from.

USA

I bought an antique banjo when I was in Halifax. While researching it, I came across this site. I encourage you to check out the workmanship on some of these instruments... This is just one example. Now it's all just made in China.

http://www.billsbanjos.com/index.html

bassbanjo_1.jpg

bassbanjo_2.jpg

bassbanjo_6.jpg

bassbanjo_4.jpg

bassbanjo_7.jpg

Thanks for looking me up when you were in Halifax!!!

Pucky; I didn't even know you were in Halifax. I would have contacted you. We were at a stupid wedding that took up most of our trip... The harbor is very nice though; we were stuck in the tourist trap area; I ate at Salty's and The Battered Fish and I had some Salvatore's pizza and meatball sub.

You didn't eat a Donair??

I'm very disappointed in you Quincy. Lobster and beer would have been on me at my house.

We need to make a GameLive world map and each put a thumb tack in it so any time we travel, we can just check the map to see if anyone from GL lives close by. Now I feel bad that I didn't get free lobster and beer. :guitar:

So as it turns out; this banjo I bought came with this set of old tuning pegs and a banjo tailpiece. I was researching them and it looks like the hardware is going to sell for about $300 bucks on ebay. The pegs and tailpiece are from 1886-1890 and were made in Boston, Mass. I only paid $275 for the banjo and it still needs to have a new nut and tuners installed. + a set up. I posted a picture of the hardware on a banjo site and had 2 offers to purchase within the last few hours. Should be fun to see how much they sell for.

DSC01432.JPG

DSC01438.JPG

been shopping for new amp lately...
since the lil POS starter amp that came with kit finally blew up cause it couldnt handle the awesomeness I was sending through it:guitar:

any pros /cons of the combo amps?
such as line 6 ?
fender frontman?

I still suck just wanna make some different noises besides distortion pedal.

browsing pawn shops today just about went for the impulse buy of an Epiphone Les Paul standard pro ( ???) in sunburst.
this one, cherry honey burst
http://www.zzounds.com/item--EPIENLP

are these cheap copy cats of the real deal?
seem to recall them in musicians friend magazine starting in the $1000s and up.

their asking price $349.00 , figured I offer $200 and they might settle around $250.
no scratches , dings, blemishes I seen . neck seemed straight . thats the extent knowing what to look for.
played it a bit... I want it:guitar:

came across some vintage looking amps ( fender, beringer? vox)... would guess from 70s maybe . IDK.

gun to your head:
assuming same price range:
get a combo amp with all the effects and tones preprogrammed
or Marshall MG series or similar?

Those are decent guitars senco, assuming that the one you saw doesn't have a "rubber neck" i.e. soft mahogany, which is very common at that price point.

I would get a vintage Fender amp over anything recent. Line 6 is good for playing with headphones.

Get a Fender Twin, a Boss DS-1 and a Crybaby. Done.

My father had a Hagstrum bass guitar when I was growing up. Red vinyl body. Wonder what happened to it.

Those are decent guitars senco, assuming that the one you saw doesn't have a "rubber neck" i.e. soft mahogany, which is very common at that price point.

I would get a vintage Fender amp over anything recent. Line 6 is good for playing with headphones.

Get a Fender Twin, a Boss DS-1 and a Crybaby. Done.
dude? $1300 ? really???
we're looking in the under $500 price point
$1000+ doesnt fit into my imaginary budget at the moment

http://www.amazon.com/Fender-Twin-R...&ie=UTF8&qid=1375564373&sr=1-23&keywords=amps