Got a question. Kinda techyish

• Start date
  • Replies 542 Comments
  • Views 33,842 Views
Wimminz tend to have useless front pockets and ridiculously massive wallets.

aka bottomless pits of unspeakable clutter

Snapshot of marital life

-What did you do with [x]?
-I think it's in my purse.
-Never mind, I'll just get a new one.

Could be a water bottle, keys, the kid's passport. Mostly keys.
yup, we carry too much crap we deem necessary and don't even end up using half the time.
A few minor shocks over the "missing" wallet today. Didn't die from it though.

Then later, after I used it, I stuck it in my back pocket out of habit. But I caught myself right quick. That time anyway.

The one challenge I had forgotten is, under certain circumstances, I jam my water bottle in that pocket at work. Can't do that now. Don't really have a pocket for the water bottle. There is always stuff in the other front pocket. Not a ton of stuff but stuff. I suppose I could shift that stuff to a back pocket but then what will we have accomplished?

uh oh! I tend to freak myself out too, or forget to switch items when changing out pocket, coats, purses, back pack, etc. Forgot my keycard to get into my office building the other day because I left my coat and forgot to grab it. oops

I must ask: how does a different pocket help keep the wallet cleaner and less cluttered?

It's still early going for me, but I feel like the wallet contents will be managed in the same way. Just stowed a few inches north.

a fat wallet in the front pocket is much more cumbersome.

makes the person putting it in there, or me in any case. Actively keep it as thin as possible.

I don't want all that junk on my thigh, I got my big wang going towards the other pocket

enuff is enuff with the front stuff

How long before these things are actively trying to put an end to humanity?

This reminds me of IT people at work who would spend more time maintaining and tweaking an automation script than it would take to do a task manually.

Tech people are by and large fucked in the head. Any new tech is good tech by virtue of it being new.

:jerk:

#TeamLuddite

They are going to take your job Muddy

Along with our new workplace, we are also the first branch to go to a new computer system - which will eventually be all through the company. I have had some introductory training on it and that is one thing that can't be denied: it takes the human factor out of some things.

I can envision how, through a series of steps, it could lead to some people being phased out. Maybe not the order packers, but the order pickers. I could see a bunch of automation moving products to the pack stations - instead of me and the pick crew. I can see a path how that could go.

Just hoping it doesn't get there until after I retire.

Wondering if anyone has any thoughts on this. I have a computer in the closet which I figgered maybe would be a suitable back-up to this one. As it is newer and this one has some issues with the keyboard, maybe the one in the closet would even take over as primary.

So I tried booting it up to see what it looks like. First, I got this message:

No Bootable Device. Hit and key.
[OK]​

So I hit enter and then this came up:

BOOT MANAGER
Boot Option Menu
{it shows up and down arrows} to change option
ENTER to select an option​

There are no options there and nothing I hit makes anything happen - except escape which takes you to a black screen saying to restart the computer.

Anyone have any wisdom to share on this situation?

Make sure you are booting up from the right hard drive in the bios... seems like the computer can't see the operating system. When you boot up the computer there is usually an option to press F2 or F8 or something to get into the BIOS

Make sure that there is a hard drive in the computer. :handshake:

Why did you have a newer computer in storage?

This too. +1 ; Fwiw, you can download a Linux o/s and boot it from a USB key if you were so inclined.

Well it's like this. I bought the computer on behalf of someone who wanted to access it remotely. So I set it up here and it basically sat in a drawer for a few months while he did whatever he was doing. It may or may not have related to online gaming.

It ran continuously. Well, I might have had to restart it a couple times. Whatever, the point is, I have no idea how to actually check for a hard drive but I believe that activity - which was pretty normal internet activity - proves it has one??

Anyway at some point he stopped doing what he was doing - some time passed - I eventually decided to take the thing out of the drawer and stash it in the closet. And now some time has passed - might be a couple years? - and I'm thinking he is done and the computer is mine now. No problem to just buy him another if that assumption proves false. It was pretty cheap.

No problem to just buy myself a new laptop right now - but I've got this thing sitting here.

Except now I can't get it going.

So that, as they say, is the sitch.

Last edited:
That's weird then.

Maybe durito wiped it clean after he was done with it. But more likely is: the drive or system partition became corrupt over the years. You can probably revive it by reinstalling Windows from a CD or USB stick.

What would that mean then? I'm seeing a Windows file here. Would I copy it onto a stick then plug it into the new computer, I dunno, before/during/after starting it up?

7AhDoCs.jpg

No. You would need to create a Windows installation CD or USB stick. You could do that from your good computer.

Before you try that though, there is a good chance you can boot into a recovery partition on the FUBAR laptop. Google the computer model to find out how to boot into the recovery partition, assuming there is one.

If you post the computer make and model, I can assist in figuring it out.

Okay. I will get googlin' into that after work today. It's an Acer Aspire / V5