Got a question. Kinda techyish

• Start date
  • Replies 542 Comments
  • Views 34,158 Views
I played a lot of Rampart on my older cousin's Amiga back in the day. We only had a lowly EGA (16-color) 80286 PC at home. That Amiga was super deluxe.

My buddy had one of those, was the bomb back in the day. They were the wealthiest people on the block.

These cousins lived in a mobile home. Had a fully-naked Samantha Fox poster on display in their shared room.

I'm white trash.

My phone isn't working. It is electrified and the display looks proper - but no dial tone. The end of the cable is plugged into something but I don't know.

Not really expecting any answers here - just e-mumbling.

Got myself an unwanted little project for today. Figure out what the fok.

Waiting for a call back from Bell (my media provider) as we speak. Thought it was pretty cool that they give you the option of, rather than wait on hold, they will call you back when your place in the queue comes up.

Well, it's cool if it works. We'll see about that.

Between 15 and 22 minutes they say.

As far as I can tell from the evidence I see, seems like I just need to replace the phone cord. You'd think I might have one of those lying around but nope. But anyway, I'll start by talking to them and give them my normal boob act (which is not an act), and then go from there.

Fokken worked. You hang up and they call you when it's almost your turn to talk to someone and away you go.

Nice development.

I in fact have a cell phone. It's a flip-up style Samsung number.

It's always in my bag - so it's usually with me - but it's usually turned off. I carry it around and sometimes use it in my car on lunch to follow up on jobs I'm applying for because I don't want to call from a work phone and have someone walk up while I'm discussing why I want to leave my job.

It's just a bare bones phone. I don't think I can even text from it.

Came in handy today.

Oh man, something going on with this computer now. I don't even know.

Leave it with me.

I fixed it by the way. I was having a stupid problem but I fixed it.

So fuck YOU.

Yeah, no, there was some stupid thing that kept coming up whenever I powered up. It said I had a corrupted file or something and I needed to let it run through some lengthy protocol - and if I wanted to skip it, I had to hit any key within 10 seconds - which I often forgot to do - so I would find it in this long protocol - which I didn't want to wait for - because generally when I turn on my computer I want to do something - and I could see the thing it wanted to do was going to take an hour + based on the slow progression of percentage complete it was - if you get my meaning - so I would start over and make sure I watched it and hit the key within 10 seconds so I wouldn't have to wait for the thing.

Basically, I just had to reboot the computer at a time when I knew I wasn't going to want to do anything for a long time - and let it run through it's thing.

I thought I had already done that and I was still getting the rigamarole - but anyway, when I finally just did that - it got done and now it just boots up normally again.

And then all y'all got told to fuck YOU.

Which isn't right by any measure.

Another satisfied customer for the Gamelive Geek Squad. :highfive:

Okay lemme axe all y'all this:

Downloaded a movie. For some reason what I got was one of this WINRAR files - which I have seen before, although not typically when downloading a movie like this. But okay I extracted it the way I do that has always worked. And lo and behold there it is. I believe it is an .exe file. That seems to be what I am seeing.

:clueless:

Anyway, so I open my VLC media player and select the file and it clicks along to 7 seconds (with no video) and then stops. The whole timeline is set up to go to 3:44:59 - which is odd since the movie is a hair under 2 hours.

If I close VLC and just double click on the actual file, I get this:

h61aao0.jpg

One other point which may be important there is a 3rd file which, when opened, says this:

N49kvML.jpg

Now there are no comments in the comments section for the download that indicate anything unusual is going on.

Just wonder what you make of that.

Most likely a fake torrent with a big ol' virus wrapped in it. What's the movie?

The movie is Lion. You know what, maybe I did something stupid and tried to save a few megabytes and went with an off torrent and got some crap. I usually don't do that as my plan has more data than I ever use. But maybe I was overthinking it.

I see a ULer name I recognize on one of the torrents. I think I'll just start again with that.