Got a question. Kinda techyish

• Start date
  • Replies 542 Comments
  • Views 33,180 Views
Make sure you are booting up from the right hard drive in the bios... seems like the computer can't see the operating system. When you boot up the computer there is usually an option to press F2 or F8 or something to get into the BIOS

Did you attempt to get into the BIOS to determine if your computer is trying to boot from the right hard drive???

Nothing worked. It's still the same. I guess I'll drop it in with my guru sometime. The keyboard on this one is getting bad - some keys you have to hammer to get them to work - sometimes - and some will produce a double entry - like you hit 8 but you get 88 - sometimes - it's all inconsistent - anyway it might be good to switch to a sexy new model.

Or maybe the keyboard on this one can be fixed. :dunno:

OR you could replace the keyboard OR add an external usb keyboard if its a laptop.

Here's something I'm trying lately:

I got this little timer. Like an egg timer or whatever. It's like high-tech sticky notes for the forgetful.

It's good.

But here's the thing: it is battery operated - and I found that it doesn't shut itself off after a period of inactivity - like my little recording device - which is what I kinda assumed would happen. But nope, the timer just stays on.

So the question is, do I want to take the battery out after every use - and put it back in when I want to use it again? Or do I just say fuck it and leave the battery in and therefore the device is ready-to-go at all times.

That's what I've done. Leave the battery in. Maybe it uses so little power when it's just sitting there showing 00:00 that it doesn't matter much. But I don't know. Maybe it will waste a ton of batteries in the long run?

I don't know. But so far, I am leaving the battery in and saying fuck it.

Leave the batteries in. An LCD with no backlight isn't using hardly any energy.

Following up on my computer situations.

The little Acer Aspire with the message about no bootable device - my computer guru frowned at it and basically said it needs a new hard drive. Apparently these laptops are the cheapest of the cheap - you can get one used for like 60 bucks - so there is no point getting into any repairs like that.

I just left the little guy there at the store for recycling purposes.

And I bought an external USB keyboard for this laptop with the keyboard that is going for crap. The guy did a hard sell on me for a whole new laptop - that may be in my future - but for now this works fine - except for the keyboard. I only ever use it here at my desk so the external keyboard is completely feasible - boom - I spent the 15 bucks and I am typing away here with wild abandon.

I don't understand what's going on now. It seems like my adblock has suddenly stopped working.

Actually, it's vanished. I don't even see it in my list of add-ons. I see an adblock in internet explorer - and it does seem to be working - youtube is not making me watch 5 seconds of ads before I watch a video and whatnot - but not firefox.

:dunno:

your firefox must have updated to version 57, there was a major rewrite of the add-ons system on that version, most of the complex add-ons like adblockers don't work in that version, what's now used are called extensions

go here

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/ublock-origin/

scroll to the bottom where it says 'Development Channel'

and press the 'Add to Firefox' button

that's the extension version of ublock origin

if you use adblock plus then do the same here

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/adblock-plus/

the extension versions are 99% identical to the previous add-ons

:handshake:

w941Pyl.jpg

I was just talking to my cable/internet provider people. I'm getting very serious about joining the 21st century and upgrading to a smartphone, and hopefully it won't be long before I tumble down an open manhole while walking and gawking at my device.

No but seriously man, there was a bunch of confusing stuff that came out of that conversation - different plans and dollars to consider - but here's something interesting. Kind of funny.

I brought up a subject that the guys at work said I would have to consider: how I will need wifi here in the apartment. So I asked about the cost and requirements of that.

She said I already have it.

"No," I sez," "but my laptop is connected by a cable."

"It doesn't have to be. You have wifi."

"No," I sez, "but I don't think you are understanding me. I am connected by actual cords."

"I understand but I am looking at your account and you definitely have wifi."

"No," I sez, "but you mean some tech person can coach me to do some kind of tinkering with my equipment and it will become wifi ready?"

"Everything that needs to be done is done. Wifi - you have it."

"Really?" I sez.

"Yes you big hamburger."

Well no. But yes.

:lmao: I bet they get that every single day.

Hell, I'm way past WiFi. I use my phone for home internet and it works fine. Even stream hockey (not great) and everything

Got a new (used) laptop yesterday. I expect I'll fire it up and start trying to figure things out starting today.

Could be a frickin bonanza for this thread. Stand by for boobery . . .