Got a question. Kinda techyish

• Start date
  • Replies 542 Comments
  • Views 34,036 Views
So I got a new wallet. It's good, I like it - but here's the thing: it has a detachable section and there are a couple green cards in there that say RFID protected.

I actually know what that means - the wallet wants to protect me from someone scanning my shit while it's in my pocket. Sounds good to me. But my question is, what is doing the protecting? Is it the whole wallet? Is it this little detachable bit (which I don't want to use because I like a thin wallet). The actual cards that say RFID PROTECTED don't seem like anything more than pieces of cardboard; hard to believe they are doing anything.

Can anyone shed any light?

So I got a new wallet. It's good, I like it - but here's the thing: it has a detachable section and there are a couple green cards in there that say RFID protected.

I actually know what that means - the wallet wants to protect me from someone scanning my shit while it's in my pocket. Sounds good to me. But my question is, what is doing the protecting? Is it the whole wallet? Is it this little detachable bit (which I don't want to use because I like a thin wallet). The actual cards that say RFID PROTECTED don't seem like anything more than pieces of cardboard; hard to believe they are doing anything.

It should be for the entire wallet. If you want a thinner wallet, you can buy sleeves for the CC's and drivers license if needed. I have the sleeve for my DL because my passport is on it - used for driving to Canada.

It should be for the entire wallet. If you want a thinner wallet, you can buy sleeves for the CC's and drivers license if needed. I have the sleeve for my DL because my passport is on it - used for driving to Canada.

Speaking of passports my Canadian passport expired Feb 17, 2017.

My Italian passport expired a couple years ago. Looks like I'm going nowhere in the foreseeable future.

muddy you too advance me

what's the brand?

The brand of wallet is Roots. If that helps. Roots 73, looks like.

I don't know that having an answer to my question would make any difference to anything. I'm keeping the wallet and I'm not going to keep the bulky insert in. So I guess it's just a matter of curiosity.

It's a fine wallet which is conforming itself to my butt nicely.

I recently learned that back and hip problems are fairly common in men because of having a wallet in their back pocket, especially males that are pron to sit on it. It shifts your joint and spine alignment.

^Makes sense. I'm a front pocket guy.

What if you don't have big enough pockets?
You know what I hate lugging around but is necessary...a back pack or purse. hate that shit.

I don't know how anyone keeps a wallet in their back pocket. It's like the most vulnerable and least convenient of all the pockets.

RFID protection is pretty much 100% unnecessary.

Wimminz tend to have useless front pockets and ridiculously massive wallets.

aka bottomless pits of unspeakable clutter

Snapshot of marital life

-What did you do with [x]?
-I think it's in my purse.
-Never mind, I'll just get a new one.

Could be a water bottle, keys, the kid's passport. Mostly keys.

Okay I am heeding you guise. Although I have had a lifetime of zero problems relating to the back-pocket wallet - and as we all know, that is not a short period of time - i.e. I'm old - I am switching it today to the front left.

Nothing going on in that pocket so no redeployment of other stuff needed. We are GO.

I wonder if I will scare the shit out of myself a few times, reaching for the established wallet location and there's nothing there.

Anyway, heeding.

A few minor shocks over the "missing" wallet today. Didn't die from it though.

Then later, after I used it, I stuck it in my back pocket out of habit. But I caught myself right quick. That time anyway.

The one challenge I had forgotten is, under certain circumstances, I jam my water bottle in that pocket at work. Can't do that now. Don't really have a pocket for the water bottle. There is always stuff in the other front pocket. Not a ton of stuff but stuff. I suppose I could shift that stuff to a back pocket but then what will we have accomplished?

Front pocket converter about 6 years ago

It helps me to actively keep my wallet clean and free of useless extra clutter and I get new ones a lot more often to stay sleek

Used to have some ridiculous Constanza wallets in the past

I think we need to hear from Tron, House, Reno, Bacon, and Kato on this one to complete the topic

I must ask: how does a different pocket help keep the wallet cleaner and less cluttered?

It's still early going for me, but I feel like the wallet contents will be managed in the same way. Just stowed a few inches north.