Anybody want to learn how to cook?

• Start date
  • Replies 109 Comments
  • Views 7,663 Views
Thanks buddy. I've been wanting to make bechamel to use in a mushroom mix so I can make it just like this restaurant I used to work at. They did the pan seared sea scallops (seasoned w/ salt, pepper and fennel dust) over a blend of shitake, oyster, hen of the woods, and morels. The mushrooms would be sauteed at prep (i think just garlic, shallots and s&p) and then reheated per order with a little bech added. Then they'd use a ring mold to plate the mushrooms and squeeze 4 scallops in to rest on top. Garnished with some garlic sprouts. It was one of their signature dishes and it was fantastic.

I work at a high end seafood place now. We're on a pier overlooking the Lynnhaven River which runs right into the Chesapeake Bay about a half mile away.

that dish sounds really good. i would flavor the milk for the bech with garlic on recreation.

make sure to come to new orleans for halloween. i have never been there, and i am looking forward to eating a lot there.

when i wasn't watching my intake, i would do a sea scallop/bacon fat/brown butter over mashed turnips

btw, think its cool that (1) you quit smoking cigs/weed (2) working out (3) learning to cook

me on the other hand still smoke cigs, no more weed, work out about 5 days a week, and really love to cook still. From a chick standpoint, cooking will always close the deal, and make up for any faults that you have.

They may put some garlic in the bech for all I know. I wish I had payed more attention when I worked at this place because it's truly 4-5 star cuisine. The chef who owns it was a cook under Daniel Boulud at Le Cirque in NYC. CIA grad (of course) along with his sous. I could have learned a lot from those guys if I'd cared enough back then.

As far as NO, I plan on being there. I'm really looking forward to taking in the city from food, to culture, music....etc. Never been so I'm actually really looking forward to it. It'll be after the summer busy season too, so getting away from work should be easy and I should have some money saved by then.

boulud is a stud...

wish i would have went to CIA, just apprenticed. NO will be a blast.

Please feel free to pop in here with suggestions or corrections at any time.

There are no Italian versions of anything French! We loathe those fuks. Not as bad are the Canadian ones!

Did you know that Italian wines are some of the finest in the world? We just don't have a categorized rating system for it. We just make and drink the stuff, no need to impress anyone!

There are no Italian versions of anything French! We loathe those fuks. Not as bad are the Canadian ones!

Did you know that Italian wines are some of the finest in the world? We just don't have a categorized rating system for it. We just make and drink the stuff, no need to impress anyone!

:italia::bdown:

Mr Monkey I know quite a bit about wine. You might be surprised to know that Italians have one of the most complicated categorizing systems for wine on the planet. I don't want to get into the whole history of Super Tuscans and their relationship to the governing boards of Italy - the DOC and DOCG - but I could bore you for a while on this topic alone. It literally takes months of study to understand the classification system and restrictive nature of Italian wine growing regions.

France is pretty easy in relation. You've got your major regions like Burgundy, Loire, Bordeaux, Champagne, etc. All of them typically have a handful of grapes grown in that region and that's it. And the wines are generally named for that region so you know what you are getting when you see the name. A Bordeaux red is going to be Merlot/Cab Sauv blend (with a little petite verdot, cab franc, and/or malbec) and a Bordeaux white is Semillion with a little Sauvignon Blanc; a red burgundy is Pinot Noir and a white Burgundy is Chardonnay; a Sancerre (Loire valley) is Sauvignon Blanc....etc. A Rhone is most likely Grenache with some Syrah and Mouvedre.

Easy to remember once you know the few grapes that are predominant in the 5 or 6 major regions. Italy has 20 regions and they are all a beast.

last recipe for today
shrimp/grits

ingredients

* 6 cups water
* 1 teaspoon salt
* 1 1/4 cups Stone-ground grits
* 1/2 (8-ounce) block sharp Cheddar cheese, shredded (about 1 cup)
* 1/2 (8-ounce) block White Cheddar cheese, shredded (about 1 cup)
* 1/2 cup half-and-half
* 1 tablespoon butter
* 1/4 teaspoon pepper
*1 l/b 26-30 ct shrimp, devained, shelled
*old bay seasoning/garlic powder to marinade w/ olive oil

method

Bring 5 cups water and salt to a boil in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Gradually whisk in grits; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer, stirring occasionally, 50 minutes or until thickened. Stir in Cheddar cheeses and remaining ingredients.

prepare shrimp, if not already; coat with liberal amount of old bay seasoning/garlic powder; saute in frypan on medium high heat until shrimp is pink

this serves about 5 people, so arrange shrimp on plate accordingly.

:kato:

Mr Monkey I know quite a bit about wine. You might be surprised to know that Italians have one of the most complicated categorizing systems for wine on the planet. I don't want to get into the whole history of Super Tuscans and their relationship to the governing boards of Italy - the DOC and DOCG - but I could bore you for a while on this topic alone. It literally takes months of study to understand the classification system and restrictive nature of Italian wine growing regions.

France is pretty easy in relation. You've got your major regions like Burgundy, Loire, Bordeaux, Champagne, etc. All of them typically have a handful of grapes grown in that region and that's it. And the wines are generally named for that region so you know what you are getting when you see the name. A Bordeaux red is going to be Merlot/Cab Sauv blend (with a little petite verdot, cab franc, and/or malbec) and a Bordeaux white is Semillion with a little Sauvignon Blanc; a red burgundy is Pinot Noir and a white Burgundy is Chardonnay; a Sancerre (Loire valley) is Sauvignon Blanc....etc. A Rhone is most likely Grenache with some Syrah and Mouvedre.

Easy to remember once you know the few grapes that are predominant in the 5 or 6 major regions. Italy has 20 regions and they are all a beast.

In summation Italia way >>>>>>>>>>> than Frogland. TY Jello. You are as smart as the guy in your avatar. Just not as handsome! :yes:

Jello, before you add the oil to the pan, get the pan hot over the burner you are using then add the oil.

Also the CIA Pro Chef textbook, is great to read if you are trying to learn to cook. You can probably pick up a used copy for $20. It will teach you all about the mother sauces and their derivatives. Also check out www.egullet.com, its a good food forum.

Jello, you know anything about wines from Argentina or Chile. I been trying to experiment paring wines from those countries with my food.

Ok, just sent a request.

Are you saying that Mr. X objected to your posting here?

I contemplated having my present GF post here. I think I have decided against it.

Ok, just sent a request.

Are you saying that Mr. X objected to your posting here?

No, no objections, but a little bit of justified worry. That guy knows how I am. This morning in the car (on the way to Subway this time):

"I got your back baby, but you're so slippery. I think I've got it, but then, you're four miles down the road!"

Jello, you know anything about wines from Argentina or Chile. I been trying to experiment paring wines from those countries with my food.

To be completely honest with you no. I am not strong on those regions. California, France and Australia are my strengths...probably in that order.

I know some basics of South American viticulture, but not enough to differentiate between anything for your purposes. But if you have something specific you are trying to find information on, I would be happy to do a little research. I'd like to know more and it's beneficial for me to become more educated as a front of the house guy. I've been gradually moving into management lately and down the road I will probably have some wine list responsibilities. And I genuinely enjoy learning about wine, so it wouldn't be any trouble.

wish i would have went to CIA, just apprenticed. NO will be a blast.

You guys are in for a treat. It is a magical place. I am just hopeful that it won't be TOO busy. Or too hot. But I love everything about the French Quarter.

I contemplated having my present GF post here. I think I have decided against it.

This comment led me to the following conclusions:

A.) She isn't cool enough to hang with us
B.) She is too emotionally fragile to deal with us
C.) You are being selfish

No, no objections, but a little bit of justified worry. That guy knows how I am. This morning in the car (on the way to Subway this time):

"I got your back baby, but you're so slippery. I think I've got it, but then, you're four miles down the road!"

I get the feeling that you have absolutely no troubles sticking up for yourself.

i have been in a soup mood lately. this is my favorite soup recipe. use to have to make it everyday.

ingredients:

* 1 cup of potatoes, diced 1/2 inch
* 1 cup of celery, diced 1/2 inch
* 1 cup of onions, diced 1/2 inch
* 1 cup of green pepper, diced 1/2 inch
* 1 cup chopped clams (canned or fresh)
* 3/4 tablespoon coarse ground black pepper
* 1 1/2 teaspoon salt
* 3/4 tablespoon whole thyme
* 6 bay leaves
* 2 teaspoons tabasco
* 3/4 cup sherry wine
* 2 cups water
* 3/4 cup clam juice (drain from can)
* 3/4 cup butter, melted
* 1 cup flour
* 2 quarts half and half

Method:

In a large saucepan, combine all ingredients except butter, flour, and half and half. Simmer until potatoes are thoroughly cooked.

In the meantime, combine melted butter and flour in a sauce and make a roux. You want this roux to be a light color, resembling sugar cookie dough. This is the thickening agent for the soup, however you could go "asian" and make a corn starch/water slurry...either/or

Remove chowder from heat. Stir in half and half and blend well. Heat to serving temperature, stirring occasionally.

:kato:

attn robyn:

per bread and myself; make this for him, please

YEAH! :kato:

one thing i am not good at cooking is mexican food. f'in love mexican food. so if anyone has mexican recipes (no chicken-no yardbird) it would be greatly appreciated. :kato: