• Replies 109 Comments
  • Views 7,603 Views

Jello

Not Funny
Since
Jan 29, 2010
Score
Tokens
I work at a restaurant and have recently started picking some of the guys' brains on how to create these dishes. So I'm learning how to make something and then going home and trying to execute it myself. I'm also writing up the instructions and emailing them to my sister per request. I'm a complete amateur in the kitchen, but in the past 3 nights I've made restaurant quality meals - pork tenderloins with sauted fruit in a red wine sauce; the best chicken francese I've ever eaten; and a pretty delicious sea scallops with mushroom asparagus mix.

Anyway, these dishes have been incredibly easy to execute and if anyone's interested I'd be happy to copy and paste my emails here. ( If not, that's cool too.) As somebody who has lived on fast food and scraps for the majority of his life, it's pretty cool to be able to make fine cuisine with no training whatsoever. This shit is not nearly as hard as you might think and it's pretty satisfying to be eating quality food that you prepared for yourself.

damn, nice

I have always found that cooking for yourself is really only something you can do if you are unemployed

Please do. I am tired of making spaghetti.

YES! used to have small time aspirations of being a pastry chef

actually told the judge that at 16 when she asked me if I had any goals in life..

Alright, I'll give you guys the Chicken Francese to start. This was way easier than I thought it would be and really, really tasty:

You need boneless/skinless chicken breasts, Olive oil, flour, minced garlic, 1 lemon, butter, white wine, chicken stock.

Take the chicken breast and cover the bottom and top with selifane on a cutting board. Take your pan and pound them flat. not completely flat to the point that they are shredding, but a nice cutlet sort of width....maybe an inch wide at it's thickest point. I had to turn the pan sideways and pound them with the edge for the most part.

Now cover the pan in olive oil and bring it up to medium heat. You don't want to cook anything in oil until it is hot enough to sizzle whatever you are putting into it. ( A common mistake most home cooks make is they put oil in the pan and then put the chicken or whatever in as it's coming up to temp. You always want to heat the oil first.) As the oil is heating here get a dish to put some flour into.

You don't need much flour. You are just going to "dredge" the chicken through the flour so it has a light coating (I used to make the mistake of wetting chicken before doing this which is wrong. it makes it cake up and it's nasty. leave the chicken with just it's juices). Put a pretty good amount of salt and pepper in with the flour. Take the chicken and run both sides through the flour mix. This is really just a dusting of flour, so you don't need much at all.

Make sure your oil is hot enough to cook (a drop of water in it will tell you) and then lay the breasts in the hot oil. You don't want it too hot to the point of smoking though. No really need to go over medium heat in this whole process. Make sure the chicken doesn't stick to the pan.

You are going to let that cook to a nice golden brown on one side, then flip it over to brown at the same level on the other side. So while you have about 10 minutes for this to happen, get your lemon out and cut some wheels. I used about 1 quarter inch width wheel per chicken breast. Maybe throw in an extra one for good measure. Lemon is a pretty important component of the dish. Get your wine, butter, garlic and chicken stock out and ready too. So you have all that stuff waiting by the pan as the 2nd side of your chicken is becoming golden.

Make a little room in the pan now and drop in a decent sized tab of butter, maybe a tbsp and a half. Place the butter in an open section of the pan, let it melt for a few second and then put your garlic in (just need a little bit to your taste....it's really optional if you're not a garlic fan) You can put the lemon wedges in now too or wait until you add the wine and stock. Stir it around as the butter melts, but you aren't going to do this for more than about a minute, if that. Maybe 30 seconds or so. You don't want anything to brown here including the garlic. A few pieces can get brown, but that's not ideal.

After about a minute pour some white wine and chicken stock in the pan. You want maybe about 1/2 cup or 3/4 cup of wine and maybe a little less chicken stock. You're basically going to have the sauce about 1/2 way up the chicken as it sits in the pan. (The amount of wine and stock depends on how much chicken too. I was cooking a 3 breast pack.)

Stir it all around so everything - butter, wine, lemon, garlic - is mixed up together and let that come to a nice simmer. I let it simmer pretty heavily (not quite a boil) for about 10 minutes. I may have even bumped it up to a medium high for small increments here.

The sauce will reduce a little and thicken ever so slightly. The chicken should be done after about this much time. Just before you are ready to take it off the heat, break off a small tab of butter and let it melt and mix up in there. Once it's about done melting just kill the heat. That butter will thicken the sauce up nicely. It will also of course thicken once it is off the heat too, so keep that in mind as you are judging when to kill the heat. You can always add a little chicken stock if it gets too thick.

So that's all there is to it. I boiled some angel hair pasta as the chicken was simmering. Drain and plate the pasta, place the chicken on top and then pour a little of the sauce over it all. If you want it to look nice, take one of the lemon wheels and lay it right on top of the chicken.

One other thing, if you want to incorporate a side dish into this meal you can slice some snow peas or zuchini nice and thin and throw them into the simmer. Otherwise, maybe just have a salad on the side. That's what I did. Hope you enjoy. I'll post another dish tomorrow.

damn, nice

I have always found that cooking for yourself is really only something you can do if you are unemployed

Pally, I just told you I have a job...but I see what you are saying. The thing is, none of these dishes have taken more than 30 minutes total (prep,cook, cleanup). That's what's so great about them.

Also, fyi if anyone is confused about chicken stock it is easily found in the grocery store. Not trying to condescend here, but I didn't know what it was before I worked in restaurants. It's usually in the soup aisle and it's sometimes just called chicken broth. I prefer the boxed kind because it's easy to reseal. You'll use it a lot if you get into cooking. You can use it for sauteing quite a bit, from chicken to vegetables. And just in case anyone doesn't know this as well, you can buy garlic already minced in a jar. It's well worth it. So don't be intimidated thinking you need to mince garlic or make chicken stock.

These are easy, cheap products. You can have dinner for 3 with this list for under $20 and 5 minutes in the grocery store. You can just get some cheapo boxed wine if you don't have any laying around. You can use old wine that's gone bad to cook with too. Throw it in the fridge if it's gone, red or white, and use it two weeks later to cook with. Just buy garbage, bottom of the barrel wine or even cooking wine. You're going to reduce all the shittiness out of it anyway and strip it down to basically just the risidual sugars and water.

Last edited:
Pally, I just told you I have a job...but I see what you are saying. The thing is, none of these dishes have taken more than 30 minutes total (prep,cook, cleanup). That's what's so great about them.

30 minutes is a fucking eternity. Make me a sammich pal.

Matty, one day you might get the chance to cook for a female who is interested in possible sexual relations with you. You'll thank me for this if that day ever comes.

I know. It's probably not gonna ever happen, but still....

I kid Jello. Last GF was actually quite the cook and I memorized a thing or two. I will actually try the chicken recipe soon - always have a couple chicken breasts in the freezer as it's one of the few things I cook for myself during the week.

Keep 'em coming, homo.

females like men who cook for them

makes us want to put out

I will actually try the chicken recipe soon

It's not just some "chicken recipe" Matt. It's a French culinary classic - consisting of a traditional buerre blanc - which is served in some of the finest restaurants of the world.

Sheesh. And you call yourself a Separatist.

By the way, for the sake of accuracy.... a traditional beurre blanc would substitute shallots for the garlic. Mine is more of an Italian version, hence the non-french spelling. I just wanted to drop another french word in the above post to make a point about Matt's political leanings.

Also, a classic Francaise would incorporate an egg wash after dredging the chicken through flour. If you want to make it exactly as the French would, whip up a couple eggs and dip the chicken in that after the flour. Let the excess egg drip off and then drop the chicken in the pan. Also instead of the garlic, use thinly sliced shallots after you put the butter in the pan.

While we're at it, it's Franaise.

Carry on Jello, you're doing great.