Anybody want to learn how to cook?

• Start date
  • Replies 109 Comments
  • Views 7,614 Views
Just make sure you put some water in with the wood chips. I would think it is common sense but I work in restaurant I told a kid once to put would chips in the in a skillet, and the dumb fuck started a good size fire.

lol

Awesome Jello! Most of your recipes are probably meat based and we're vegetarian. But, I'd like to share this recipe. It's from a really well known restaurant in San Diego. When we visit, we eat there practically every day and Mr. X has the same thing, "neatloaf". He was really excited when he found the recipe online.

People are suspect when I offer them a meatloaf with no meat, but so many of my friends and family have asked me for the recipe. They can't all be that nice, can they? What's great about it is if you double or triple the recipe you can eat for a week. It's really filling and great with mashed potatoes or even as a sandwich.

Here are the ingredients for the Neatloaf:

* 4 large eggs
* 1/4 cup Lipton Onion Soup Mix
* 1/3 lb low-fat ricotta cheese
* 1/3 lb firm tofu (squished up into small pieces)
* 1/4 cup vegetable oil, of choice
* 1/3 cup onion, chopped (I like extra onion)
* 1/2 cup cooked brown rice (doesn't have to be brown, I actually prefer jasmine. Any rice will do)
* 1/2 teaspoon oregano
* 1/2 teaspoon basil
* 1/4 teaspoon rosemary
* 4 cups Special K cereal
* 1 1/2 tablespoons garlic

Here are the ingredients for the sauce:

* 1/2 cup ketchup (you can also substitute catsup)
* 1/8 cup Dijon mustard
* 1/4 cup molasses (I like to use agave nectar or honey. Mr. X likes the molasses)
* 1/8 cup apple cider vinegar
* Cayenne pepper (to taste – not a necessary component)

Directions:

* Heat oven to 300F.
* Saute the onions and garlic (in just a little bit of oil).
* Beat eggs in bowl, the mix together all ingredients except Special K (to make gluten free add gluten free corn flakes instead)
* Mix well, and add Special K last.
* Turn into a pan sprayed with cooking oil. You can use either a 79 or 88 pan.
* Bake 1 hour.
* While Neatloaf cooks prepare sauce, whisking together all sauce ingredients in a bowl. I typically like a lot of sauce so I double the sauce part.
* Remove loaf from oven, pour sauce over the loaf and cook an additional 10 minutes.
* When loaf is done, if you can avoid the temptation, it’s best to let it sit for 10-15 minutes

Mrs. X, I am definitely going to try that one, too. Just don't tell Bread...he doesn't like healthy food.

Just make sure you put some water in with the wood chips. I would think it is common sense but I work in restaurant I told a kid once to put would chips in the in a skillet, and the dumb fuck started a good size fire.

LOL. Me not too bright either. It's a good thing you said something.

Here's a good quick way to cook Sea Scallops - one of my favorite things on the planet.

Take about 4 or 5 good sized scallops. Pat them dry on both sides with a paper towel. (They won't saute right otherwise)

Heat a little olive oil in a metal handled pan. Start preheating your oven to about 400 degrees as your oil is heating.

Salt and pepper one side of the scallops. Once the oil is hot, put the scallops in the pan.

Let them sear to a nice brown on one side (about 3 minutes), then flip them and brown the other side. Now put the pan (if it's metal handled) in the preheated oven to finish cooking though for about 5-7 minutes.

I ate this with a sauteed mushroom and asparagus mix. Simple and easy as well. Have another pan heating with olive oil when you start your scallop pan. Cut some asparagus about 2 inches from the tip, and then about another two inches down to include the middles. When that pan is ready toss some dry mushrooms and asparagus together in there. Salt and pepper to taste as stir it around. It'll cook for about 8 minutes or so. You might want to add a little butter at some point because mushrooms are very absorbent. Don't add cold oil though as you will end up with a greasy concoction.

Take your cooked mushroom and asparagus mix and put it on a plate. Take your scallops out of the oven and drain them for a few seconds each side on a paper towel to get rid of any excess oil. Put the scallops right on top or on the side...whatever. Easy delicious meal.

Tofu, has no taste it will absorb all the flavor of whatever you cook it with.

I refer to Tofu as a tampon, just absorbs all the moisture.

Thanks for the contibution Mrs.X!

Oh and Bread...I'd prefer it if you made Robyn yell out my name.

Come on. One time. Be a pal.

Mrs. X, I am definitely going to try that one, too. Just don't tell Bread...he doesn't like healthy food.

If it's any testimony, Reno Cool will eat it, and he hates everything I cook. He likes everything to be meat and his preferred method is to fry the sh!t out of everything. This is not a term I just made up, it's his personal description of his methods.

Who says I haven't already done so?

20048442yu.gif

You know reno cool? Doesn't he live in Russia or Alaska or something?

I am terrible with details.

Let's facebook, you and I. What's ur digits?

LOL. Me not too bright either. It's a good thing you said something.

Here's a good quick way to cook Sea Scallops - one of my favorite things on the planet.

Take about 4 or 5 good sized scallops. Pat them dry on both sides with a paper towel. (They won't saute right otherwise)

Heat a little olive oil in a metal handled pan. Start preheating your oven to about 400 degrees as your oil is heating.

Salt and pepper one side of the scallops. Once the oil is hot, put the scallops in the pan.

Let them sear to a nice brown on one side (about 3 minutes), then flip them and brown the other side. Now put the pan (if it's metal handled) in the preheated oven to finish cooking though for about 5-7 minutes.

I ate this with a sauteed mushroom and asparagus mix. Simple and easy as well. Have another pan heating with olive oil when you start your scallop pan. Cut some asparagus about 2 inches from the tip, and then about another two inches down to include the middles. When that pan is ready toss some dry mushrooms and asparagus together in there. Salt and pepper to taste as stir it around. It'll cook for about 8 minutes or so. You might want to add a little butter at some point because mushrooms are very absorbent. Don't add cold oil though as you will end up with a greasy concoction.

Take your cooked mushroom and asparagus mix and put it on a plate. Take your scallops out of the oven and drain them for a few seconds each side on a paper towel to get rid of any excess oil. Put the scallops right on top or on the side...whatever. Easy delicious meal.

Oh yeah, you're gonna want to add a little minced garlic and maybe even thinly sliced shallots at the end of the mushroom saute. When it's about done cooking, clear a spot and put a little tab of butter in the pan. Add a nice forkful of garlic and shallots in there and "sweat" them. You don't want them to get too brown. Then kill the heat and mix it all in with the veggies.

You know reno cool? Doesn't he live in Russia or Alaska or something?

I am terrible with details.

Let's facebook, you and I. What's ur digits?

[email protected]

This clip was referenced quite a bit when I decided to post on gamelive.

Ok, just sent a request.

Are you saying that Mr. X objected to your posting here?

i have been in a soup mood lately. this is my favorite soup recipe. use to have to make it everyday.

ingredients:

* 1 cup of potatoes, diced 1/2 inch
* 1 cup of celery, diced 1/2 inch
* 1 cup of onions, diced 1/2 inch
* 1 cup of green pepper, diced 1/2 inch
* 1 cup chopped clams (canned or fresh)
* 3/4 tablespoon coarse ground black pepper
* 1 1/2 teaspoon salt
* 3/4 tablespoon whole thyme
* 6 bay leaves
* 2 teaspoons tabasco
* 3/4 cup sherry wine
* 2 cups water
* 3/4 cup clam juice (drain from can)
* 3/4 cup butter, melted
* 1 cup flour
* 2 quarts half and half

Method:

In a large saucepan, combine all ingredients except butter, flour, and half and half. Simmer until potatoes are thoroughly cooked.

In the meantime, combine melted butter and flour in a sauce and make a roux. You want this roux to be a light color, resembling sugar cookie dough. This is the thickening agent for the soup, however you could go "asian" and make a corn starch/water slurry...either/or

Remove chowder from heat. Stir in half and half and blend well. Heat to serving temperature, stirring occasionally.

:kato:

kato, what kind of restaurant did you work at?

Is there a standard butter to flour ratio for roux? Is it 1:1?

Take me through the next step to make bechamel. How hot is the milk supposed to be? Is there a standard ratio here?

kato, what kind of restaurant did you work at?

Is there a standard butter to flour ratio for roux? Is it 1:1?

Take me through the next step to make bechamel. How hot is the milk supposed to be? Is there a standard ratio here?

standard for roux is 1:2 butter to flour; however i prefer to keep it 1:1, i have found most success at in soups as a thickener, because if you use the 1:2 ratio, it is too thick IMO
now for a bechamel, you have to use the 1:2 ratio, the milk (1.5:1:2) needs to be hot, not boiling, but right where you see little bubbles form at the edge of the saucepan. i am not very patient, so i would always fuck up by adding to much milk to the roux. always add little amounts and incorporate.

2 kinds, steak, chops, seafood---and continental american, both in SLC