You Know What Today is Folks............

• Start date
  • Replies 163 Comments
  • Views 20,374 Views
Patrice Wilson aka Pato!

Patrice_Wilson_Friday.jpg

Mysterious rapper dude driving a car is actually Ark Music Factory producer Patrice Wilson, and his hip-hip rap breaks make an appearance in most all of AMFs music releases. My guess is that his cameo appearances are meant to add an element of maturity to the songs in addition to making the videos seem more legit in that they feature a guest artist like a lot of urban Top 40 singles. (I also have a sneaking suspicion that Patos appearance in the videos guarantees him a big cut of the performers take if the song becomes a hit like Friday has done. But, thats purely speculation!)
As you might have guessed, Patrice Wilson was an artist prior to joining up with AMF, and as you might have guessed, he realized Patrice wasnt a very marketable name for a dude in the hip-hop world. So, Patrice performed under the name of Pato!

Pato_flex.jpg

True Pavy, also tomorrow is Venereal equinox day.

Patrice_Wilson_Friday.jpg

Mysterious rapper dude driving a car is actually Ark Music Factory producer Patrice Wilson, and his hip-hip rap breaks make an appearance in most all of AMF’s music releases. My guess is that his cameo appearances are meant to add an element of maturity to the songs in addition to making the videos seem more “legit” in that they feature a guest artist like a lot of urban Top 40 singles. (I also have a sneaking suspicion that Pato’s appearance in the videos guarantees him a big cut of the performer’s take if the song becomes a hit – like “Friday” has done. But, that’s purely speculation!)
As you might have guessed, Patrice Wilson was an artist prior to joining up with AMF, and as you might have guessed, he realized “Patrice” wasn’t a very marketable name for a dude in the hip-hop world. So, Patrice performed under the name of Pato!

Pato_flex.jpg

PATO!

Very astute analysis of the many layers of Rebecca Black :greencheck:

The song has a Wikipedia entry. It's a fokken riot.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Friday_(Rebecca_Black_song)

Background, writing, and recording

In an interview with The Daily Beast, Black's mother, Georgina Kelly, recalls how a classmate of Black informed her of Ark Music Factory, a Los Angeles record label that allowed young singers to gain experience in the industry by recording a track for a fee.[13] Kelly paid Ark Music $2,000 for a package that included a choice of two pre-written songs.[13]
Black herself chose the song "Friday", as "the other song was about adult love – I haven't experienced that yet. 'Friday' is about hanging out with friends, having fun. I felt like it was my personality in that song."[13] Ark Music handled the video's production, and also made heavy use of the pitch-correcting software Auto-Tune.[13] Kelly had some doubts over the quality of the lyrics, but was told by Black that "I sang it as they wrote it, Mom."[13]
The song's co-writer and producer Clarence Jey said that "the concept we feel seems to have crossed a lot of boundaries, for the better or worse."[13] The participants in the video were all real-life school-friends of Rebecca Black.[14]
Style

In a review for Rolling Stone writer Matthew Perpetua described the vocals as having "a peculiar tonality that inadvertently highlights the absurdity of boilerplate pop lyrics", adding that the tone of her refrain "sounds unlike anything else in pop music." He noted the sound as being not entirely agreeable to listen to, but states that Black ultimately ends up "sounding like a distinct singer with an alluring sort of anti-charisma."[12]
Music video

The concept for the music video is based on the pre-written lyrics and presented as a typical Friday for Rebecca Black.[15] She wakes up and then heads to school, meeting her friends on the way. The focus then turns to the evening, as Black and her friends ride in a convertible, before arriving at a party.[16] Patrice Wilson makes an appearance towards the end of the song, delivering a short rap sequence while driving a car.[17]
Critical reception

The song has received almost entirely negative reviews, with some considering it to be the "worst song ever."[18] Observers have called it "bizarre", "inept" and "hilariously dreadful".[5][19][20] The song and singer were "savaged" on social networks across the Internet,[21] while being seen as a "YouTube laughing stock".[10] The song has also received widespread criticism for its heavy use of autotune.
Kevin Rutherford, a columnist for Billboard magazine, wrote, "Black's video for 'Friday' is one of those rare occurrences where even the most seasoned critics of Internet culture don't know where to begin. From the singing straight out of Auto-Tuned hell to lyrics such as 'Tomorrow is Saturday / And Sunday comes afterwards / I don't want this weekend to end' and a hilariously bad rap about passing school buses, 'Friday' is something that simply must be seen and heard to be fully appreciated."[22] Many other reviewers also singled out the lyrics in particular for criticism,[23][24] which were described as "overly simple and repetitive" by TNT Magazine.[25] Jim Edwards of BNET and Doug Gross of CNN both noted that the rap break from the considerably older rapper was "creepy".[26][27]
Despite the overwhelmingly negative reviews, some reviewers had positive things to say about the song and video. Entertainment Weekly writer Joseph Lynch noted that there was "something sickeningly catchy about this tune that keeps you coming back for more".[19] Rolling Stone writer Matthew Perpetua stated, "When you see this video, you immediately notice everything that it does 'wrong', but it actually gets a lot of things about pop music right, if just by accident."[12] OK! Magazine also noted that "some are calling the 13-year-old signed singer the next Justin Bieber".[28] Pop star Chris Brown also added his view: "Honest opinion? It was great. I'll be jammin' to it on Friday, Friday".[29] After reading one fan's comment of 'Forget Bieber fever, I have the Black Plague', Black tweeted that the comparison "made [her] day".[30]
Response
After reading the harsh reviews of her song, Black said that "those hurtful comments really shocked me".[31] Ark Music offered to take the video down from YouTube, but Black refused the offer, saying that she did not wish "to give the haters the satisfaction that they got me so bad I gave up".[31]
In response to criticism over the liberal use of Auto-Tune, Black announced plans to release an acoustic version of the song.[31] She performed this acoustic version during an interview with ABC News.[32] Later in the interview Black's mother, Kelly, stated that she was "angry and upset" after Black was brought to tears by comments such as "I hope you go cut [yourself] and die" and "'I hope you cut yourself, and I hope you'll get an eating disorder so you'll look pretty."[33][34] However Black said that she soon got over such comments.[35] She also went on to make an on-camera request for her idol Justin Bieber to perform a duet with her.[36]
Rolling Stone's Matthew Perpetua continued to praise Black after the interview, stating that "she is actually a pretty decent singer... she is a total sweetheart...[and] Black comes off as a well-adjusted, happy and grateful kid".[37] He also pointed out Black's intention to donate most of the profits from the song to school arts programs and relief efforts in Japan following the 2011 Tōhoku earthquake and tsunami.[37]
Simon Cowell told People Magazine of his praise of Black, saying: "I love her [and] the fact that she's gotten so much publicity. People are so upset about the song, but I think it's hysterical." Also adding "I want to meet her. Anyone who can create this much controversy within a week, I want to meet. I love people like that."[38]
One criticism of the music video is that the (possibly underage) operator and passengers of the motor vehicle are clearly depicted as not wearing seat belts, in violation of California law.[39]

Matty Rebecca Black is thin skinned, she wouldn't last a day here at gamelive.

Imagine crying over a comment a stranger made on your youtube page?

Matty what are the chances we could get her posting here?

Matty friend her on facebook and send the invite pal.

Common, do the right thing.

Actually, I have faith that Rebecca would outlast most of the recently departed. I could see her burying us all for weeks on end, Bateman style.

Dense people tend to be relentless.

Plommeur I'll see what I can do.

30 Million views on Youtube in a week!!!

She could be the next big thing.....