Why the Pirates will be 2012 WS Champs!

• Start date
  • Replies 192 Comments
  • Views 11,957 Views
Shirley you cant be serious
hqdefault.jpg

Bobby Keith Moreland cares.

Pirates and KC were basically farm teams for the entire league for 2 decades. What happened that these teams are now able to actually hold onto their good players?

false all their good players that got traded away, ended up sucking

last real real real good one to go directly from the Bucs to another team and be a star was prob Barry Bonds

small market teams like KC, Pittsburgh, Houston have to draft and develop well, as well as have good signings from Latin America.

signing stars like Cutch to extensions before they blossom is a risk that can pay off very well (case of Cutch) or poorly (case of Jose Tabata)

all those "stars" the Pirates traded away3,4,5,6 years ago, stocked the system with prospects

seemed like terrible loses at the time but guys like McClouth, Bay, Nady, Giles, Laroche, Hanrahan, freddy sanchez, Jack Wilson ect brought in a shit load of prospects and suspects to comb through and develop.

Didn't the Jays get Jose Bautista from the Pirates?

Not sure - and I think he kind of sucked back then anyway so there was no way of knowing short of psychic phenomena.

I definitely understand why there has been so much suspicion of steroids with that dude.

Didn't the Jays get Jose Bautista from the Pirates?

Not sure - and I think he kind of sucked back then anyway so there was no way of knowing short of psychic phenomena.

I definitely understand why there has been so much suspicion of steroids with that dude.

And the Royals once had an outfield of Johnny Damon, Jermaine Dye and Carlos Beltran.

So, something`s happened over the past 10 years or so in regards to MLB, ownership, or something...

Yes Bautista went from the Pirates to Blue Jays.

I don't include him in players that were "stars" that the media made a big deal of when traded, and he wasn't a high paid guy.

He actually has an interesting history as 4 other teams gave up on him as well.

He was in the Pirates minors and Baltimore took him in the Rule 5 draft

so he made his big league debut with the Orioles, but they waived him and tampa bay picked him up, they waived him

this happened with two other teams that I forget now. But eventually the Pirates decided to trade for him back.

so he played to finish that season a bit for the Pirates and was the first MLB player to play for 5 different teams in one year.

then he had a mediocre and at times solid career with the Pirates for a few years and the Pirates needed an emergency back up catcher and had #1 Overall draft pick Pedro Alvarez ready for the Majors so they traded him.

the Blue jays helped him with a bit more upper cut in his swing and some roids and he flourished!

you should stick it at the top of the forum, incredible

Still haven't addressed how these small market teams are now able to hold onto their talent. 15 years ago Votto would have been a Met or something by now.

Still haven't addressed how these small market teams are now able to hold onto their talent. 15 years ago Votto would have been a Met or something by now.

Teams are identifying talent better and locking them up sooner, before they reach arbitration in some cases. The Yankees, Angels, and Dodgers are sitting on some bad contracts. The luxury tax may have some effect also.

teams are younger too.

the paradigm of trading for established stars or signing big name free agents and throwing money at them has gone by the wayside, sign your talent 2-3 years into their initial rookie contracts while they are still making 440,000 a year. lock them up through their prime.

Cutch and his agent did this, and did it a year too soon. prob cost them 100 million dollars

he signed for an extra 6 years 51.5 million right before he became a MVP caliber player

yeah alot of these guys are still under team control. IE they haven't spent 7 years in the majors yet, teams are also keeping that extra year of control by not bringing rookies up north from spring training, even if they are ready. Wait 2-3 weeks and gain and extra year of control.

you saw this with Bryant this year and Polanco last year

Gotta be concerned about this Arrieta fella tonight tho.

Scott Boras would have never let Kutch get locked up before Free Agency.

TBS not showing OPS as batters step into the box.

:facepalm:

I remember when the Pirates used to have these hats...

new-era-postman-cap.jpg

This is brutal.

I lost on Yankees and now I'm going to lose on a team I really want to win regardless of the wager.

Pirates have hit a lot of piss rods right at people.

that Bryant play was a killer