• Replies 192 Comments
  • Views 11,875 Views

Archie

SP Nation and I Ruin things
Since
Jan 27, 2010
Score
Tokens
Little Thread Title Copy in honor of MrMonkey, now that the team in Pittsburgh is the best biesbol team in PA....

Gonna send RJ a Pirates shirt to wear!

Pitching

A-McCutch

pirates_logo.jpg

Raise the Jolly Roger!!!!!!!

32-27

I fully expect that I just put a daft like hex on my shitty team

2-13 stretch coming up for the bucs

Kutch is the best. Buccos are HOT, boys!!!!!!

:pepe:

First Place! feels good

pittsburgh-pirates-logo-2011.jpg

I'm on board since the Phils look cooked!

in all actuality its a tough position to be in as an semi-informed fan. I get caught up in rooting for the impossible as a fan, and not having seen much competitive baseball in Pittsburgh in two decades.

but seeing as had really bad their offense is, and the fact that they are -17 in run differential, with a pitching staff that is gonna regress and/or get hurt like last summer. I really want them to lose about 35 of the next 50 games so they can trade any vets that don't fit into the future 3-5 years.

I don't want a repeat of last year where they foolishly think aquiring some near washed up vet rental hitters for 2 months is gonna make them an actual good team.

Pirates have a chance to do something no team in history has ever done in MLB

beat a starting pitcher named Chen in back to back games!!!!

common one time!!!!!

I really want them to lose about 35 of the next 50 games so they can trade any vets that don't fit into the future 3-5 years.

I don't want a repeat of last year where they foolishly think aquiring some near washed up vet rental hitters for 2 months is gonna make them an actual good team.

Does this actually matter? Pittsburgh has been in rebuild mode where they shed vets since Bonds left. Have they even been .500 since then?

Does this actually matter? Pittsburgh has been in rebuild mode where they shed vets since Bonds left. Have they even been .500 since then?

nope 19 straight under .500 seasons. They've had about 5 different shit brained "rebuilds" since then. But I think even the scouts/experts finally see some light at the end of the tunnel with the collection of guys they've amassed in the minors in drafts, trades, 16 year old latino signings.

they are 1-2 years from the wave of those top 100 prospects hitting the big leagues, to join their small nucleus of guys around McCutch currently at the MLB level.

does it matter? as a fan that wants an actual winner, it matters to me that they don't

a) trade prospects this year for vet rentals to fight for 85 wins (like last year)
b) hold onto guys like Hanrahan or Burnett that might get them a solid AA or AAA prospect in a seller's market

as to shedding vets......They've definitely come out ahead in the past 5 years or so in terms of selling guys high, that pretty much sucked when they left Pittsburgh. Its a common mis-perception that they dump salary for salary sake. Hasn't happened since A-Ram many many years ago. And MLB forced them into dumping salary to pay down debt.

I like the trades they've made under the current regime. and I wish for them to be sellers this year.

also I'd be nice to sign Vlad Guerrero to a 1 million dollar contract

Vlad was batting his weight in AAA Las Vegas and he retired today.

Vlad was batting his weight in AAA Las Vegas and he retired today.

oh he retired? the earlier report I read today said he asked to be released so he could sign with another team...

I think you're right. He had a soft deadline to make the club and asked to be released. I guess he showcased himself and somebody will pick him up.

They remind me of the Brewers from about 5-6 years ago. Things are definitely looking up there.

They remind me of the Brewers from about 5-6 years ago. Things are definitely looking up there.

even with my optimist fanboy hat on, I couldn't bring myself to compare the buccos to a 2005 or 06 brew crew team, that had Prince Fielder on the MLB roster already, along with more powerful hitters like Braun, Hall, Weeks, Hart, on the way or there already.

Pirates are banking on Pitching with Tallion, Cole, Heredia ect. But they are still to far away to know they'll pan out or not get injured.

Fielder and Braun were just starting out then. Carlos Lee was their big free agent signing around that time and the team was basically built around him. The Pirates are definitely different than the Brewers were (and remain to be) in the sense of style of play, but all of their talent came from their farm system. They could use a couple of sluggers like Fielder and Braun, but pitching and small ball can win games (especially in the NL) too. The Brewers at that time were only a few pieces away. They still didn't have their future stars completely developed and needed a few key free agent signings (like Sabathia when they made their run a few years back) in later years to make a run. In any case, they resemble the Brewers in terms of the strength of their prospect moves that helped put them in the position they have been the past few years. Now, they face the old dilemma of trying to keep the talent that they've developed.