• Views 5,354 Views

betplom

RPM
Since
Jan 27, 2010
Score
Tokens
db58a59d402687131e97c699eac9.jpg

http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/art...eezing-temperatures-after-a-long-january-thaw

This week's forecast calls for a precipitous drop in temperature from the prolonged “January thaw” the city has lately been experiencing, with the mercury dipping to a projected low in the vicinity of -8C on Monday and going even lower as the week progresses.

Mid-week will bring the deepest freeze, bottoming out at a nippy -16 C on Thursday. That'll be the coldest it's been in Toronto all winter.

The cold snap will come as a bit of a shock to the system after what Environment Canada climatologist Dave Phillips calls “one of the longest January thaws that we've ever had” — 16 days in a row from Jan. 4 .

“I've never seen a January where we had such a consecutive, long period (of thawing). So people were thinking ‘My gosh, this is all winter has got. It's no issue,' ” “But overall, if you look at Toronto over the last 70-some years, typically the coldest week is this week coming up.

“This is what we call ‘the dead of winter.' If you graph the temperatures throughout the whole year, they typically bottom out here and then, anywhere from about the 22nd to around the 28th, they actually begin a kind of slow rise upward.”

While the week could see it getting frostier than 2012's coldest day — -16.5 C on Jan. 3 — this weekend's extreme winds will die down, and there's little likelihood of “any big dumps of snow” beyond a few flurries toward the end of the week.

First they cut your panhandling down to only quarters and now this happens. Plommer I sympathize with you here if you need anything please let me know man.

It's supposed to get about the same here for the next few days with a chance of snow :reallymad:....I've had it with the snow! Next week it's supposedly going to get up in the 40's (Fahrenheit)..I look forward to that!

I feel like this January thaw they are talking about is being overstated. I got in like 2 bike rides between the snow finally all melting and getting more snow.

Felt regular cold this morning. :dunno:

:lmao: Right Muddy, what planet are they living on?? Cause on this one, there was no month long thaw, not even close. Nice try guys.

I feel like this January thaw they are talking about is being overstated. I got in like 2 bike rides between the snow finally all melting and getting more snow.

I don't know. When I was a kid, I don't ever remember any type of winter thaw. It was just downright cold in the winter. No exceptions. And you guys had a few degrees of latitude over us in Wisconsin.

Go ahead, rub in it! Mean people do suck!
:mudcat:

It's going to drop down to -3 C tonight in Atlanta. I will have to close the windows and turn the heat back on after not having it on for 2 weeks.

I just crossed the border a few minutes ago. I've never been happier in my life.

It's not that cold here.... you are all pussies