The Polaroid Random Thoughts Baseball Thread

• Start date
  • Replies 2,773 Comments
  • Views 213,525 Views
Man I'm really out of the loop on knowing what is happening in bases. No doubt followed very little last few/more years but WTF was thinking 7 teams make playoffs in each league? Following realizing it's just 6 and and not 1 bye but top 2 teams each league get a bye.

I still like it that it's a best of 3 first wildcard series instead of 1 game. Plus top 2 teams have to continue playing hard to get that important bye. Though sometimes a bye no doubt gives your pitching staff a nice needed rest do hot batters than might go cold after being off say for a week?

@Tron, you know more than me about this so anything to correct/add please do so. Of course into it this year seeing the Phils have a shot at the playoffs!

@MrMonkey I quite like that they added a third Wild Card in each league. It’s a REALLY long season for a team with 88ish wins to miss the post season. :cheers:

And I agree 100% that it’s nice they’re doing a 3 game WC series (instead of a 1 game playoff). Again, the season is TOO long for a one game playoff.

Mr. M, the Phillies have a 61.5% chance of making the playoffs (per FanGraphs). They have a 2.2% chance of winning the World Series so don’t waste your time :lol:

@MrMonkey
Mr. M, the Phillies have a 61.5% chance of making the playoffs (per FanGraphs). They have a 2.2% chance of winning the World Series so don’t waste your time :lol:
Very ironic you say that because I just read an article yesterday that the Phils this season are the team that quite possibly be the Braves of last year. I did the same to myself after reading it.
:lol:

this is sad, but what an incredible career and life

Sandy Alcantara just threw a complete game shutout that took 2 hours and 9 minutes.

Don’t see too many shutouts these days, boys

He now has a 1.88 ERA. If he pitched in NYC there would be a bridge named after him.

Sandy Alcantara just threw a complete game shutout that took 2 hours and 9 minutes.

Don’t see too many shutouts these days, boys

He now has a 1.88 ERA. If he pitched in NYC there would be a bridge named after him.
He was nasty the few innings I saw against the Phils! So what's the year your crystal ball says he gets traded for 10 draft picks? :poke:

He was nasty the few innings I saw against the Phils! So what's the year your crystal ball says he gets traded for 10 draft picks? :poke:
The Marlins signed Alcantara to a 5 year extension about 5 months ago, Mr. Monkey. Pay attention!

The Marlins signed Alcantara to a 5 year extension about 5 months ago, Mr. Monkey. Pay attention!
Don't know if that means anything. Remember they traded Stanton right before he was due to make 25 mil. Sal in 2025 goes up to 17 mil. If Marlins aren't in contention by all-star break 2024 could see him leaving. Also if he flounders in studness and becomes slightly better than average pitcher (though I highly doubt it) more reason the Marlins will say goodbye.

Don't know if that means anything. Remember they traded Stanton right before he was due to make 25 mil. Sal in 2025 goes up to 17 mil. If Marlins aren't in contention by all-star break 2024 could see him leaving. Also if he flounders in studness and becomes slightly better than average pitcher (though I highly doubt it) more reason the Marlins will say goodbye.
The ownership group that traded Stanton is not the same ownership group that gave Stanton the contract in the first place.

And “if he (Alcantara) becomes slightly better then average”???

@MrMonkey, are you having a stroke? Alcantara is the favorite to win the Cy Young this year. He has a 1.88 ERA in 2022. What are you talking about “if”?

The ownership group that traded Stanton is not the same ownership group that gave Stanton the contract in the first place.

And “if he (Alcantara) becomes slightly better then average”???

@MrMonkey, are you having a stroke? Alcantara is the favorite to win the Cy Young this year. He has a 1.88 ERA in 2022. What are you talking about “if”?
I know if we talk personally I wouldn't be as hard to understand lol but this what I posted "Also if he flounders in studness and becomes slightly better than average pitcher (though I highly doubt it)" No I don't believe he will become average but who knows and if the whole team is floundering come July ......?

Screen Shot 2022-08-22 at 2.19.29 PM.png

So let's see now with a little less than a quarter of the season to where we stand in the playoff hunt. Simply put not always the go to in determination of those teams but just look up run differential. The top 6 in each league right now are the 12 teams qualifying.

@MrMonkey Mr. M, the Phillies have a 61.5% chance of making the playoffs (per FanGraphs). They have a 2.2% chance of winning the World Series so don’t waste your time :lol:
Hey @Tron , are we up to 3% yet??