State of Emergency

• Start date
  • Replies 147 Comments
  • Views 7,277 Views
Because he's seen as an ungrateful upstart, spitting in the face of the flag that gave him great wealth. ...I'm guessing cops aren't doing it during the anthem

Hopefully it just becomes a thing - that is detached from the anthem

When I was like 20, I loved this band

Watching the protesters in Washington, DC made me randomly think of them

20 year old Tron would maybe (probably) be actually peacefully protesting with this in his headphones

the thing is with these so called anarchists running around, they have no idea what true anarchy would do to their environment, they would crumble like little bitches, living in the wilderness is hard, gathering and killing for food is tough, the wilderness humbles any man, religions and gods are concocted to survive it, these fuks have been insulated of what was the reality just 100 150 years ago

in 2012 in the Brazilian state of Bahia in the city of Salvador the police went on a strike, illegally from a constitutional perspective as law enforcement can't go into strikes, for the 12 days that it lasted there were 180 murders, the city paralyzed economically and socially hardly anyone going out, with food distribution paralyzed

in February 2020 in the Brazilian state of Ceara in the city of Fortaleza the police went on a strike, for the 13 days that it lasted there were 312 murders, again the economy and food distribution disrupted completely

it's the closes thing I've seen to anarchy in a modern setting, these bitches running around would crumble so fast given a total collapse of society, a rampant disease a war a natural disaster, when the day comes when you can't call someone for help and you have to face the wilderness then I want to see my true anarchist

true, the collapse of society would be an immense catastrophe. Gangs roaming the streets, even the heavily armed individuals would be screwed.

But hopefully what we're trying to achieve here is something more akin to political anarchism, Bakuninism. Which would be pretty great. But I don't know what kind of horrors we'd have to live through to get there from here. Too many powerful interests.

It does seem, on one hand there's a lot more of people of different types joining protests, for a longer time than I would have imagined. Maybe, despite all the seeming degradation the people are close to a cooperative anarchist society. :dunno: Wouldn't that be wild?
1591148504616.png

still looks like thousand people downtown Denver despite curfew. And I think it's mostly white young people.
I've been saying for a long time, I don't see many options here for the young generation. Jobs are shit, everything expensive. Step out of line, into the criminal system, life ruined. People can't afford housing, live with parents or multiple roommates.

1, not at all, I am a slave gatherer

I need the status quo, I need law and order, defined rules, keep gambling illegal, keep prostitution illegal, keep drugs illegal, don't fuck with the game

tactical not impulsive carnal

Agree on almost all the points but I got the impression that you had a soft spot for those Nicaraguan hooligans. Guess I was wrong or did you look at them under a different lens? Did Brazilian govt send army or paramilitary forces when police went on strike?

Agree on almost all the points but I got the impression that you had a soft spot for those Nicaraguan hooligans. Guess I was wrong or did you look at them under a different lens?

yeah totally different, then the protest was sparked cause there was a law made reducing the pensions by 50% and increasing the contributions by 10%, so people went out to protest because that was fuck up what they were going to do to them old people

and after days of protest the dictator ordered a full force police reprisal, military deployed as civilians with their service automatics, and arming literally street gang members, those protesters weren't hooligans, they were fighting for their lives

it was not a matter of a few bad apples, it was the chief of police of the city of Masaya taking 22 detainees to a nearby jungle field pouring gasoline on them and burning them alive, their suspect searches tactic was to start fires in people's home to get them to come out in plain day sight with cameras rolling, it was the courts prosecuting and sentencing people to 30 year sentences 3 days after being arrested and then welcoming them to prison by sodomizing their anus with sticks

it was a dictator fearing a Gaddafi moment, it was brutality, they were not hooligans, they were fighting for their lives

all that happened two years ago, I was not gonna get involved, it was not my fight but by pure chance my id ended in one of their list, un día de suerte I guess, after that looking back I lost big but some lost a lot more in a battle in vain that won't be remembered in history, so yeah I look at them differently, and with a soft spot

Brazilian govt send army or paramilitary forces when police went on strike?

Yes on both occasion the full military was deployed but only after about a week where most of the damage was already done.

That's nuts rj. I suppose people live in different worlds.
Me being raised in the Soviet Union, maybe have more in common with US middle class, in that we have a certain expectation of civility.
And if you listen to all the rhetoric, from people, and from media, you'd have to believe that expectation is still there, even if reality is somewhere else

Great vid! The old black generation gets it! These are the same generation of people who loved Frank Rizzo back in the day in Philly because he protected them from black-on-black crime! They took down his statue today! Take down whatever makes you feels good!

I wonder if a lot of the reason the protests keep going for so long is because people in this culture full of isolation and frivolity, have a desperate need to do something consequential and communal :thinking:

I'd say there's probably an element of that, yeah. But anti-establishment and global justice protests have been brewing for a while now. I really think we're getting closer and closer to a proper revolution. But like Rogatien said, it probably won't happen as long as kids are seen clutching $1000 phones.

Toronto's shitty version of Times Square is all boarded up in preparation for the weekend. Riots on the forecast. 🤷‍♂️