Ribeye, Filet, New York Strip or Porterhouse?

• Start date
  • Replies 86 Comments
  • Views 3,234 Views
I've actually never once heard of a rib eye pork chop.

In an effort to boost sales going into the grilling season and make shopping at the meat counter a bit easier, the pork and beef industries are retooling more than 350 names of meat cuts to give them more sizzle and consumer appeal.
pixel.gif

pixel.gif

The revised nomenclature emerged after two years of consumer research, which found that the labels on packages of fresh cuts of pork and beef are confusing, said Patrick Fleming, director of retail marketing for trade group National Pork Board.
A stroll down the meat aisle had become baffling for shoppers looking for a steak. When they would see packages of "butler steak" or "beef shoulder top blade steak, boneless, flat iron" -- they would walk away, said Trevor Amen, director of market intelligence for the Beef Checkoff Program.
So the National Pork Board and the Beef Checkoff Program, with the blessing of officials with USDA, got the nod to update the Uniform Retail Meat Identification Standards, or URMIS. Though the URMIS system is voluntary, most U.S. food retailers use it.
So pork and beef industry officials say they hope the new names will show up in stores nationwide by summer.
If it does, the "pork chop" will be gone. Instead, grocery retailers could be stocking stacks of "porterhouse chops," "ribeye chops" and "New York chops." The pork butt -- which actually comes from shoulder meat -- will be called a Boston roast.

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/...403_1_national-pork-board-pork-cuts-pork-chop

Pucky it's not your fault you've never heard of it, if you lived near civilization you would have.

In an effort to boost sales going into the grilling season and make shopping at the meat counter a bit easier, the pork and beef industries are retooling more than 350 names of meat cuts to give them more sizzle and consumer appeal.
pixel.gif

pixel.gif

The revised nomenclature emerged after two years of consumer research, which found that the labels on packages of fresh cuts of pork and beef are confusing, said Patrick Fleming, director of retail marketing for trade group National Pork Board.
A stroll down the meat aisle had become baffling for shoppers looking for a steak. When they would see packages of "butler steak" or "beef shoulder top blade steak, boneless, flat iron" -- they would walk away, said Trevor Amen, director of market intelligence for the Beef Checkoff Program.
So the National Pork Board and the Beef Checkoff Program, with the blessing of officials with USDA, got the nod to update the Uniform Retail Meat Identification Standards, or URMIS. Though the URMIS system is voluntary, most U.S. food retailers use it.
So pork and beef industry officials say they hope the new names will show up in stores nationwide by summer.
If it does, the "pork chop" will be gone. Instead, grocery retailers could be stocking stacks of "porterhouse chops," "ribeye chops" and "New York chops." The pork butt -- which actually comes from shoulder meat -- will be called a Boston roast.

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/...403_1_national-pork-board-pork-cuts-pork-chop

Pucky it's not your fault you've never heard of it, if you lived near civilization you would have.

Pork Porterhouse Chop (previously a loin chop)
Pork Ribeye Chop, bone-in (previously a rib chop center)
Pork Ribeye Chop (previously a rib chop)
Pork New York Chop (previously a top loin chop)

Not filet.

JOHN BESH: JAMES BEARD AWARD WINNER BEHIND AUGUST, THE AMERICAN SECTOR, LKE (NOLA), AND SO MANY MORE
Most Overrated Meat: Filet mignon
"It's one-dimensional. Give me a shoulder or a piece of chuck, and I'll give you something that's really rich in flavor."

TOM COLICCHIO: TOP CHEF JUDGE, THE MAN BEHIND CRAFT, CRAFTSTEAK, COLICCHIO & SONS, AND MORE
Most Overrated Meat: Beef filet
"Its boring and has very little flavor."

JOSH CAPON: NYCWFF BURGER BASH WINNER, EXEC CHEF AT LURE FISHBAR, B&B WINEPUB, AND EL TORO BLANCO (NYC)
"Theres not much flavor and not a lot of fat. It was classic back in the day, and obviously its expensive, but its not a flavorful piece of meat to me. Theres a time and a place for it, but there are much better cuts."

BILL TELEPAN: EXEC CHEF, TELEPAN (NYC)
"There is very little marbling and not a lot of fat, which means less flavor."

Just bought a 1.29 lb organic Bone In Ribeye for $19.34 USD

They didn't have any Porterhouse

Heading home to marinate this thing

Will report back later

I prefer Filet, I don't like a lot of fat on my meat.

Not filet.

JOHN BESH: JAMES BEARD AWARD WINNER BEHIND AUGUST, THE AMERICAN SECTOR, LKE (NOLA), AND SO MANY MORE
"It's one-dimensional. Give me a shoulder or a piece of chuck, and I'll give you something that's really rich in flavor."

TOM COLICCHIO: TOP CHEF JUDGE, THE MAN BEHIND CRAFT, CRAFTSTEAK, COLICCHIO & SONS, AND MORE
Most Overrated Meat: Beef filet
"It’s boring and has very little flavor."

JOSH CAPON: NYCWFF BURGER BASH WINNER, EXEC CHEF AT LURE FISHBAR, B&B WINEPUB, AND EL TORO BLANCO (NYC)
"There’s not much flavor and not a lot of fat. It was classic back in the day, and obviously it’s expensive, but it’s not a flavorful piece of meat to me. There’s a time and a place for it, but there are much better cuts."

BILL TELEPAN: EXEC CHEF, TELEPAN (NYC)
"There is very little marbling and not a lot of fat, which means less flavor."

Don't let Matty see this. He will tell these renowned chefs they are wrong.

Let's all keep arguing about what tastes best to us.

I hate the taste and texture of fat.

steaks are overrated anyway. Grind that shit up and make it into something tasty, like a pelmeni

Some Flank steak, cayenne and 20 miller lites - good to go and for the right price as well.

MrX
Let's all keep arguing about what tastes best to us.

I hate the taste and texture of fat.

it all depends on the fat and how its cooked. Overall without some fat everything would suck. Anyway don't you swallow bacon like it's going out of style? You should try salo
ukrainian-food-salted-fresh-lard-salo-25936439.jpg

its very good actually

Bone-in NY Strip here

The one at Delmonico's in Vegas is ungodly

Casper is right about The Steakhouse at Circus Circus. TASTY.

my best steak ever was the Porterhouse at Jean-George at Aria, though.

Anyway, my ribeye is marinating in olive oil, sea salt and garlic powder.

I will wait till it's real close to room temperature before I grill it.