Ribeye, Filet, New York Strip or Porterhouse?

• Start date
  • Replies 86 Comments
  • Views 3,208 Views

Tron

Since
Jan 28, 2010
Score
Tokens
If you could only have one type for the remainder of your miserable existence on Earth, which one would you pick?

I struggled with this but, PORTERHOUSE.

:pepe:

Porterhouse is a T-bone, right? I'll have that too. It includes some filet (tenderloin).

I'd raise my own cattle and have any cut I want.

Ok I'll try to explain the difference.

T-Bone Versus Porterhouse Steaks
T-Bone steaks and Porterhouse steaks are the same. The Porterhouse is just a larger version of the T-Bone because it is carved from the larger portion of the tenderloin. A Porterhouse is the "King of the T-Bones".

Diagram Showing Beef Cuts Both are cut from the short loin area of the beef. A center "T-Shaped Bone" divides two sides of the steak. On one side is a tenderloin filet and the other is a top loin which is better known as the New York Strip Steak.

When the bone is removed, the result is two distinctly different steaks. A Filet and a New York Strip. When the bone is left on either side, it becomes either a "Bone-in Filet" or a "Bone-in New York Strip".

The Porterhouse is much larger and is sometimes served for two. The USDA specifications require the filet portion must be at least 1.25" thick at its widest point to qualify labeling as a Porterhouse Steak. A T-Bone Steak must be at least 0.25" thick. Any smaller, it would be called a Club Steak. The next time you try to decide between a T-Bone or Porterhouse, remember that size is the only difference.

When you order a T-Bone or Porterhouse, it's like doubling your dining delight. Particularly when dining on Certified USDA Prime. If you order a 24-ounce Porterhouse, hope you're hungry.

Ok I'll try to explain the difference.

T-Bone Versus Porterhouse Steaks
T-Bone steaks and Porterhouse steaks are the same. The Porterhouse is just a larger version of the T-Bone because it is carved from the larger portion of the tenderloin. A Porterhouse is the "King of the T-Bones".

Diagram Showing Beef Cuts Both are cut from the short loin area of the beef. A center "T-Shaped Bone" divides two sides of the steak. On one side is a tenderloin filet and the other is a top loin which is better known as the New York Strip Steak.

When the bone is removed, the result is two distinctly different steaks. A Filet and a New York Strip. When the bone is left on either side, it becomes either a "Bone-in Filet" or a "Bone-in New York Strip".

The Porterhouse is much larger and is sometimes served for two. The USDA specifications require the filet portion must be at least 1.25" thick at its widest point to qualify labeling as a Porterhouse Steak. A T-Bone Steak must be at least 0.25" thick. Any smaller, it would be called a Club Steak. The next time you try to decide between a T-Bone or Porterhouse, remember that size is the only difference.

When you order a T-Bone or Porterhouse, it's like doubling your dining delight. Particularly when dining on Certified USDA Prime. If you order a 24-ounce Porterhouse, hope you're hungry.

Bacon please try to explain the difference.

This is a no brainer. Porterhouse.

Filet is very overrated IMO

No, no it's not.

I had the best filet mignon of my life at the Binion's Steakhouse of all places.

No, no it's not.

I had the best filet mignon of my life at the Binion's Steakhouse of all places.

Most big time chefs are saying filet is overrated. I was on the same page as you for a period of time. I loved filet mignon for a good spell.

Thing is, I can garner a lot more natural flavor with a porterhouse. I also notice that simple rubs accentuate the flavor more with a porterhouse.

Best steakhouse in Vegas is in Circus Circus IMO

Bacon please try to explain the difference.

I wish he would, instead of just talking about doing it.

PS: I don't think I've seen "Porterhouse" on many menus in Canada.
I think mainly because its fat filthy Americans that are into it.

Also, Porterhouse sounds like a name for the Porter family outhouse.

I like a ribeye steak as I like ribeye pork chops.

This guy = a ribeye guy.

I've actually never once heard of a rib eye pork chop.