Question about tipping

• Start date
  • Replies 131 Comments
  • Views 6,803 Views
another question about tipping. i go to a local sandwich shop a lot. its one of those places where you order at the register, pay and then they bring your sandwich out to you. there is a line for tip on the receipt but i never do. do you guys tip at this kind of place?

i havent been, it seems like it would be similar to tipping at a starbucks. the point of a tip is to thank a server for good service. it seems wrong to me to tip prior to even being served. am i just a douche or is this normal?

No. No and normal.

I hate that, i don't tip there. I would throw the movers $5-10 each because they are dealing with stairs.

I think you missed this part............. "Elevators are spacious and in good working order so no issues with that. "

No stairs for the movers but whatever, she is lobbing them ten bucks each. Case closed.

Me thinks this may have been for Jenny, Rog.

you're right 12th floor, muddy doesn't live on the 12th floor, how can i make this mistake cami

Rog, it happens to the best of us, I didn't pick up on that the first time around either...

Yeah it was for Jen. She likes it so far. She has a lot of trouble sleeping these days but she is optimistic that this will be an improvement.

My bed is not going anywhere. It is a thing of heavenly comfort and fucking beauty.

Anyone tries to remove my bed - I will chew their arms off at the shoulder.

The whole "tipping at a place where all they do is deliver your food to you and you never see them again" thing makes me ill.

I refuse to tip at those places. I tip 20% for good service when tipping is appropriate but I don't tip you if you walk 15 feet to bring my food to me and I have to get up to retrieve ketchup, mustard, utensils etc.

Fok that.

I can't argue with that foundational logic however with food service, there are always those wildcards that come into play.

Muddy, what type of mattress did Jenny get herself?

people i refuse to tip: doormen, bathroom attendants, shopping market baggers, hookers (purely theoretically; of course i would never indulge in something illegal like this)

people i reluctantly tip: barbers, taxi drivers

what's your guys' opinion on "additional tips" after gratuity has already been charged? say a party of six or more, or at a douchey place that just charges gratuity anyways.

I tip bathroom attendants if they are older, friendly guys who look like they've had a hard life (I realize that sounds silly).

Hanging out in a men's restroom listening to guys take hot dumps, turning on water for people and then handing them something to dry their hands on has to be one of the worst jobs ever. I give those guys a buck or two cause I'm thankful I don't have to walk a day in their shoes

getting a tip on top of gratuity is nice, but so not necessary...nor should it be expected.

I give "additional tips" maybe 5% of the time.

I don't tip doormen or shopping market baggers.

In traditional tipping situations, I tip 20% for great service, 18% for good service and 15% for below average service.

I used to blindly tip 20% at restaurants but then I realized I was a twat for doing so.

i go from 15% for bad (although ive had to tip a 0.00 twice in the past for particularly atrocious service) to 25% for very good service. also tip based on the non-discount price (full price in the case of happy hour or my typical 20% local discount)

I am a twat

I am a twat

I don't judge people who blindly tip 20%, kato. To each his own.

But I felt like a twat because I gave the highly attentive person the same gratuity as the unfriendly, entitled person time and time again.

Boner, weigh in here. Boner is good in these spots.