Plommer is in the ICU

• Start date
  • Replies 417 Comments
  • Views 22,792 Views
Don't you think that if your lifestyle changes your weight can change long term? Weight comes back mostly because ultimately people tend to get back to their comfortable routine sooner or later?
Or are you saying it's simply your body adjusts and slows your metabolism to the extent it cancels whatever your diet/exercise does? :thinking:
It's a bit of both.

Most people can't sustain the rigorous demands of a diet and exercise regiment that cuts a ton of calories. They feel tired, angry, etc. That decision to "give up" or "go back to their comfortable routine" isn't one that they actively make. The brain can override willpower or logic or whatever to get what it needs. Same reason that I can't fathom searching for food in a garbage bin, but upon a few days of starving, my survival mode would kick in and I'd just do it.

Then yeah, you overcome all of that, and you body adjusts. It used to live on 3000 calories a day. Now it lives on 1500. It begins operating on the assumption it will only get 1500 now; maybe you get a bit more sluggish, think a bit less clearly, your body makes the cuts it needs to. You stop losing weight. Can you maintain here by staying at 1500? Sure. But most people don't want to diet rigorously for zero results. So they make even more severe cuts (unhealthy) or let up a bit... and now 2000 calories is too much and you start gaining weight.

For anyone interested, the Obesity Code is a great book on all this. I have blamed myself for my weight my whole life and will probably never stop. Hard not to when society tells us nothing besides that fat people are lazy pieces of shit besides overwhelming evidence that diets don't work. But there's a reason some fit people never gain weight no matter what they eat and some fat folks never lose it. It's based on insulin levels/metabolism/genetics.

Fad diets set people up to fail in the long run. Keto is a fad diet.

But if you learn to eat a lot of well prepared steamed veggies and fish/chicken and it becomes day to day for you and you throw in a cheat day or 2 a week and you make biking or jogging or yoga or walking on an incline a part of your lifestyle you can make changes

common one time
This.

Keto WILL fail. It isn't sustainable.

But when it does, don't get discouraged and fall completely off the wagon. Stick with the healthy changes you make. Allow yourself cheats and cravings here and there, but default to these fresh foods!

why do you think thin people get fat? I've seen that.
I don't mean a few pounds over the years, I mean really fat in their 20's even?
I always felt like your mental state/lifestyle has something to do with it. And by lifestyle I don't mean forcing yourself to eat vegetables and crap.
More like naturally living a satisfactory life where food isn't like your primary joy, or something. :dunno:
I feel like whatever I'm doing, ultimately it's gonna revolve around eating or drinking somehow :grin:

why do you think thin people get fat? I've seen that.
I don't mean a few pounds over the years, I mean really fat in their 20's even?
I always felt like your mental state/lifestyle has something to do with it. And by lifestyle I don't mean forcing yourself to eat vegetables and crap.
More like naturally living a satisfactory life where food isn't like your primary joy, or something. :dunno:
I feel like whatever I'm doing, ultimately it's gonna revolve around eating or drinking somehow :grin:
Metabolism changes over time. Some people that used to be naturally chubby get fat later in life. Some chubby kids eventually grow out of it.

Mental state and lifestyle definitely play a role. Both will have an impact on your energy levels, etc. Making healthier choices and being more active will result in higher energy, improved mood, etc.

But everyone's body has a set weight where it is most comfortable. Fluctuations in the 10-20 pound range are certainly going to happen based on stress, mood, habits, etc. That's about it though.

wouldn't you think that the notion that we've gotten fatter as a country on the whole implies that our bodies don't have a genetically set comfortable weight?
... unless I guess people with the fat gene are having more kids.
...or we have have gotten wealthy enough to reach our full fatness potential our bodies prefer

Fad diets set people up to fail in the long run. Keto is a fad diet.

But if you learn to eat a lot of well prepared steamed veggies and fish/chicken and it becomes day to day for you and you throw in a cheat day or 2 a week and you make biking or jogging or yoga or walking on an incline a part of your lifestyle you can make changes

common one time

This cheat day thing is another setup for failure unless it is a few times a year.

I went from 264 to 194 3 years ago. The highest I have been since was 218. I hover around 204 now regularly. At 6ft 4, I feel that’s a good weight with muscle. Especially at 45

You are my inspiration in this(and only this) regard. I am still not doing anything and am still skinny but sometimes, I think I should follow casper.

I dont see a problem with putting weight back on. I am fairly successful at yo yo dieting. Take off 20 in something like 20-30 weeks with a real crash diet (starvation) and then put it back on, usually over the course of 12 months.

I dont see a problem with putting weight back on. I am fairly successful at yo yo dieting. Take off 20 in something like 20-30 weeks with a real crash diet (starvation) and then put it back on, usually over the course of 12 months.

it's fine for us hot studly types

but for old fat fuks, it can take a toll on the heart and other organs

Dieting and cheat days seem foreign to me at this point. I exercise for three reasons. For better health as I get older, aesthetics, and for a daily reminder I don’t want to eat like crap.

All that said, I won’t deny myself wings, pizza or other foods verboten to healthy eating. The difference is daily exercise is almost like that voice on your shoulder telling you “ don’t be eating like this tomorrow ok”?

Haha, I mean, I play five full hockey games a week, when covid isn't fucking things up.

But honestly it's probably more a genetic thing that I just don't have a big appetite. I love eating, love dessert, eat whatever I want, but I just don't eat very big servings. Not because of self-control, I just feel full. Lucky.

I gain a tiny bit of weight if I stop exercising but mostly just get softer.

MrX, you still doing all roller or some ice nowadays?